In the nick of time

rtark

Cadet
A few days ago I posted a message asking questions about wiring up a buzzer/horn for my 40 yamerhammer tillar. This after I realized it had no kind of warning device. Well, I wired in a horn after getting help on this forum and today I went fishing and ran about 2 miles, stopped and fished for a couple hours, froze out and headed back to the ramp when all of a sudden that loud horn started blowing. I shut it down, waited a few minutes wondering what the h---. Started it back up and there was no water from the pee hole. I trolled 2 miles to the ramp, got home and sure nuff, the waterpump took a dump. I have been running that motor for 6 yrs without a warning horn without a problem, then 2 days after I put one in it saves my motor from a meltdown...After reading my recently purchased Seloc manual, I rebuilt the waterpump. That was a piece of cake...Thanks a lot to this forum and especially to 99Yam...Ray

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: In the nick of time

Glad you made it back OK. I take it you used your electric trolling motor to get back, 2 miles will take its toll on the batteries.
Did the motor go into the safe mode when the alarm started sounding?
When was the last time you changed the water pump before this?
You are better off changing it every year or two like Yamaha says to.
I have seen the impellers loose a few vanes pumping some water but not enough and some that the rubber just broke free from the center collar, not pumping anything at higher RPM but moved water at low RPM. It is best to replace before you have a problem.

rtark

Cadet

I have never changed the impeller(untill now) and I have owned the motor 6 yrs. Here is the mystery, when I took the pump apart there was NO woodruff key. Now someone explain that to me. How was it working before? The drive shaft had to start spinning inside the impellor. The inside of the imp is splined but were worn smooth. The previous owner is a friend of mine and he said he never replace it cuz he didn't have ten hours on it when I bought it. I really think that it was factory. Thank goodness there was no damage to the driveshaft. The engine didn't safe mode, I guess because I idled it while we took up our lines, anchors etc. As soon as I took off and almost got on plane, the horn went off and I shut it down and if I am correct, it has to be over 2500rpm. I was fishing in the Arkansas river and the ramp is downstream with a lot of current so that helped a lot with the battery.
You can bet I will change it every year cuz I fish a lot winter and summer. I was just ignorant to the fact of preventative maint. Not anymore though. I checked and tested the thermostat and although it worked ,it looked old and will be replaced as soon as I get one. Yesterday was a bad day, but on the other hand, a lucky day. BTW, one little catfish for my trouble....Ray

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Do you think the tiller motor is suppose to go into safe mode at high temp? if so I would investigate why it did not.
you maybe able to down load a owners manual from Yamaha to give that info. Maybe to old, but you can try.
Have you done any other maintenance like change lower unit oil?
That is usually how people find seal leaks, when the old stuff comes out milky or water drains out before the oil does.
I have seen only 2 lock up from no oil. One had nothing but clear salt water that drained out and the other had nothing in it at all. Apparently he owner forgot to refill after he drained it, it is tough to get old. It took over 20 miles before it locked up, so you should check at least once a year, and pull and lube the prop so it does not stick on the shaft while you are at it.

rtark

Cadet

Yep, I changed the lower in the spring and again yesterday. The manual says it is supposed to go to safe mode but has to be over 2500 rpm. Tomorrow if its not raining, I will back the boat in the water ,put it in forward and rev the engine. If I ground the overheat sensor, it should go into safe mode right? This engine has 2 thermal sensors. One has P & B wires, the other has O & Or wires. The P B sensor will make the alarm actvate but the O Or won't, I'm wondering if it tells the CDI to shut down? The Orange wires goes straight to the CDi unit. Thanks for you interest...Ray

P40TLHW

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The orange tells the CDI that the motor is warmed up and to retard the timing to allow for normal idle RPM.