Early 1990's mariner 40hp with a hole in the manifold

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
wanting to buy a cheap little fishing boat and the ad reads boat looks great and the 40hp mariner runs great but has a small hole in the manifold. i am asking for a little education before i go visit the boat this weekend. i am familiar with my manifolds/risers etc on my 2001 sea ray with a chevy 305, but totally uneducated on the outboards. is this an expensive fix, is the motor trashed if it has overheated, is it a good sign if it cranks right up and has a smooth idle and smooth rev, and where is the oil to look at to see if its milky or clear. anything else??? need help

finally talked to the owner, he said that he bought it that way (not knowing)last year, he had it checked out and the mechanic said that when the water pump was replaced, it punched a little hole in the manifold or that's what it looks like. the mechanic said its a difficult part to replace but since it has no load on it, just weld a peice of aluminum on it and it would be good to go. he said compression is 120 on all cylinders and will test it for me as well as put muffs on it or take it to the lake.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Early 1990's mariner 40hp with a hole in the manifold

He could mean that someone jammed the drive shaft into the block and punched a hole in the case cover or the block. If that's the case you're going to have to pull the powerhead.

Can you take a picture of the problem, (not likely if I'm imagining correctly).

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

no pics, boat is 40 miles away. he said for sure its the manifold and its sucking a little air

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The driveshaft did not do this but what happened was the shift shaft as not lined up when gearcase was reattached, this pushed shift shaft upwards against cast stop on manifold and it broke off causing hole. The piece should still be in cowling and can be reattached if you are able to access the hole with Marine Tex epoxy.

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks faztbullet, i do recall the conversation was almost identical to what you just wrote. i will ask/look to see if that part is still there, if not what do i need to do?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If the piece is missing I would not do it any other way than pulling powerhead and having patch welded across hole. Trying to epoxy it over will result in possible expoy entering engine thru hole plus carb will be in the way. This is a easy powerhead to pull, just remove cables,battery leads, fuel line to fuel pump,mounting bolt and its yours!! Should take about 15-30 mins to remove and you will need a new mounting gasket.