Starter engages but just clunks

roger4451

Cadet
I have recently had installed a new 351w in my king cobra outdrive. Took it to the river and it would not go into reverse , forward was fine. Back to the driveway, fiddled with the cable adjustments . Now I have forward and reverse. Now the problem. When I turn the ignition switch all I get is a starter trying to engage but the transmission not moving. I have put a wrench to the harmonic balancer and can turn the motor over slightly that way. The propeller turns freely in neutral, locks in either position when forward or reverse is selected. I have taken the starter out and had it checked, cleaned all battery, solenoid, starter,ground cable ends. I am getting good power to the starter. My question would be: From the flywheel back what did I screw up that would be locking the motor?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starter engages but just clunks

Welcome to Iboats!
Did you do the cable adjustments from the OEM service manual?
Critical for a Cobra!

To make sure it is not engine related remove the spark plugs and see if it will spin over.
It may have hydro-locked on you.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

You might want to pull the plugs and try turning by hand again...if you didn't pull them the first time you tried.

roger4451

Cadet

The motor ran fine when I took it to the river for the first time. No unusual noises, even started up back in the driveway. I can move the disconnected shifter cable by hand and locate forward or reverse. It just seems like there is a hollow clunk, something like the sound of a low battery at the starter that seems to also come from the bell housing. Is there something that could have come loose to lock the engine up, could I have applied too much pressure at the propeller and locked the clutches? I haven't taken the plugs out,yet.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would pull the plugs asap! It still may have sucked water in the cylinders.
Rule that out first then go from there.

zbnutcase

Commander

Maybe just time for new starter....'nutcase

roger4451

Cadet

Already took the starter out and had it bench tested. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get it out if there were two engines in that hole.

Bondo

Staff member

I have put a wrench to the harmonic balancer and can turn the motor over slightly that way.

Ayuh,.. Will it turn over a Couple of Complete revolutions,..??

Just how Bad is the wiring for the Starter,..?? Corroded wiring Ends,..??

roger4451

Cadet

After having the starter tested at Advance Auto to see if it actually engaged, which it did , it was not load tested, I am not sure how that would be done. I cleaned all electrical wiring connectors( starter, battery, solenoid, and engine ground).
This is where I am at: Took spark plugs out on one side,extremely fun with the manifold in the way. No water. Turned motor over at harmonic balancer, turns tight given that four spark plugs are still in and it is a new motor with about three hours on it, but no water out of spark plug holes. Still gives the same noise like a low battery would give at the starter, that loud clicking noise.
As you may have figured out I am new at boats. Two batterys, battery switch turned to "all" . Do both batteries power the starter? Or is just one used for the started?
Before it is said,, I am waiting for the original owner to mail the owners operating manual to me.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the other 4 plugs out. It's very possible to get water in one side only, and very possible that you only have water in one cylinder. no way you are going to guess which one.

PS, an owners manual isn't going to help you a bit with the problem you are having.
Also, if you use the boat in salt water, even a little water in the cylinders will rust them very quickly. So do hurry with pulling the other plugs.

Bondo

Staff member

Turned motor over at harmonic balancer,

Ayuh,.... If you can roll the motor over 2 Full revolutions,... That's 720?...
I'm inclined to think you've got Dead or dying Batteries....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I'd get those other 4 plugs out to be on the safe side as Don said...get the batteries charged...and once you verify there is no hydrolock condition try again...if it starts fine then you had low batteries but if not..even with a good battery...good starter...and no hydrolock...the other possiblilty is that the gears in the lower unit locked up...To find out if that's it you remove the lower unit and try to crank the engine...if it then cranks well (don't start it because it won't have a water supply from the lower unit unless you rig up a water line to the thermo housing)...then the lower unit is your problem...hope not because that's pricey....