Merc 1100ss 68 prop seals??

Oldmerc1100ss

Recruit
Hi all, im new to this stuff , but do know bit with outboards. Anyways i have found that my prop seal is way stuffed (dry and brittle) from past owners lack of maintance and leaking , milky fluid ect. My question is , does my merc only have 1 prop seal as i have only removed 1 , Then it shows the alloy case that the seal was in front of? Though some other forums i have read say that there are 2 seals , or is it just because my motor is older and they changed design on the legs? Any advice would be great :cool:
Cheers Scotty

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Merc 1100ss 68 prop seals??

Nope, that gearcase is the same as the other Inlines etc and there are (2) seals in there. The most forward seal is installed with its lips facing towards the oil-containing parts of the gearcase; the outer seal has its lips facing the water side (lookin' right atcha!).

Once the outer seal is removed you're going to see the metal face (or rubber-bonded face) of the inner seal, not the spring-loaded rubber lips. So with grease crude etc it may have not been obvious that a seal's in there. If you're truly looking at the aluminum of the propshaft/bearing carrier, someone has probably messed things up. There's enough room in the bearing carrier for the (2) correct propshaft seals to be pressed in.

Here's a link to a good diagram for your lower unit:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bnbr=17&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY,+COMPLETE

Ref. #73, part # 26-76868, "OIL SEAL, BEARING CARRIER", is what you're looking for.

The equivalent Sierra Marine part is 18-2002, check it out here (BTW I did look at iboats store and found a listing for this part, showing discontinued):

http://www.boatfix.com/bypartnosierraag.asp?partno=18-2002

HTH..........ed

Oldmerc1100ss

Recruit

MMmm , i see.. What i found was after i had taken off the prop , hub , ect , i came across a seal with the spring faced outwards towards the water , i prized that out and then the other seal or the alloy side , though the first seal was sitting in the outer lip of the alloy side - i'm presuming the rubber side of the 2nd seal facing in towards the gear fluid? Beats me.
cheers :confused:

emckelvy

Commander

To put it more simply, the seals are positioned back-to-back; the one you see has lips pointing aft, at you; the one you don't see has its lips pointing fwd.

If you're lucky you can pierce the inner seal with a sheet rock screw or other suitable fastener and once the screw bites into the body of the seal, pull the seal out. Use caution because there's a needle bearing just beyond the inner seal and you don't want to damage it with the screw.

Otherwise you'd have to pull the bearing carrier to replace the seal and that's SO much fun, especially if you have a Salty Dog.

Note to drive the seals back you'll need a chunk of pipe or PVC just small enough to fit the I.D. of the bearing carrier, and will still slip over the big part of the propshaft.

Check my recent postings, there's another thread about seal replacement with more info you'll likey find useful.

HTH.........ed

Oldmerc1100ss

Recruit

Ok , got those little suckers sorted (Prop seals) , i had to take out the carrier , though not long after i put it all back in and topped up the g/oil , Ohh no oil leak , but this time its coming from the back seal on the carrier.. Do these often leak or its just the age? Anyways i'll try and source one from Aust , if not i'll have to shp over there in the states.