Boat Buying Advise! Newbie Boat Buying Question! First POST!

GwyNative

Recruit
Hi, im trying to buy my second boat(my first one was a porta bote). Please click this the link and tell me if you think this boat is worth the cash and should I buy a boat thats been run in salt water? thanks! Richie (cherokee nc)
Also Please click the link in the ad and look at the video of the boat
.http://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/1458963976.html

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: Boat Buying Advise! Newbie Boat Buying Question! First POST!

looks like a cool boat if thats the type of boat you want....
cant say what Id pay without checking it out in person.....but 5500 seems high, unless its cherry and well maint...offer $4400 mebbe??? if you really like it.....or ask him what his bottom line is and offer a bit less...

kinda under powered (4.3) isnt that powerful for a larger boat so it will be slow....
alpha one is decent and common....

Check the floor (soft spots, bouncy and open eng compartment...check transom for rot or signs of water damage, ask for maint records....
check oil for water in oil (milky), check outdrive remove filler plug check for milky fluid, ask to have it run in a big monster bucket of water see if it overheats (bad impeller or?) water ears wont show a bad impeller,
look at the batteries...are they old or new? terminals clean? does steering cables work good?binding? hows the prop? is it dinged to heck?
Salt used boats can have issues (internal metal damage and corrosion) but a well maint one could well be fine...if they flushed it each time they were out etc...correct anodes for salt and such

Good luck in your search!!

heres NADA info
Base Price
$2,630 $2,950
Reported Engine Range: 136 - 200 HP (3.0L - 4.3L)
Total adjustment for your engine(s): N/A
Options
Power Boat: CANVAS
Bimini Top $160 $180
Boat Cover - 20 ft. thru 25 ft. $100 $115
Power Boat: ELECTRONICS
Fish Finder - Max Depth 1000' $245 $280
Power Boat: ENTERTAINMENT
Stereo - am/fm CD player w/4 speakers $165 $190
T.V. 10" Color $55 $65
Power Boat: GALLEY
Bar / Console $60 $70
Power Boat: MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Porta Potti $75 $85
TOTAL PRICE $3,490 $3,935

Suggested List: $20,795

767Captain

Seaman

Very good advice above.

Looks like a $3000-3500 boat. Absolutely positively do not buy a boat without taking it out on the water. Running it hooked up to a hose will NOT give you a good indication of engine condition. You must run it up to speed, let it fully warm up, etc...

GwyNative

Recruit

The guy said he would take $4000 for it plus deliver it 7 hours one way to me. He says(in emails) that the boat is in near immaculate condition. He also says the motor has 400 hours on it and that the boat does not leak and has never leaked. I cant take this boat on a lake run because im 7 hours away. I was wondering if I could get him to sign a 90-day warrantee on the boat if it would be worth it? I have been looking for a boat like this for a long time and at $4000 it seems like a good deal. lots of times people want $4000 for their boat and it isn't half as decent as that one. I have no one to give me any kinda advise so any you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Richie (cherokee nc) P.S he says it has a full camper enclosure thats two years old.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Very good advice above.

Absolutely positively do not buy a boat without taking it out on the water. Running it hooked up to a hose will NOT give you a good indication of engine condition. You must run it up to speed, let it fully warm up, etc...

+1, and a marine survey too. That boat is old enough to have some real water intrusion problems in the transom and stringers. I would either make the trip and have a local surveyor meet me there, or pass on the boat.

Philster

Captain

Get survey done, and it is probably required by insurance companies.

Cost: about 400-450 U.S. dollars

It is like a house inspection and mechanic's inspection all in one.

http://www.marinesurvey.org/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats. I think that looks like a nice boat. It is underpowered though. Everyone here so far is dead on with their advice. The reason they are strongly recommending a survey is that an older fiberglass boat has the potential to have serious problems that would completely kill your deal. As in you pay $4k only to find out that what you bought is completely worthless. Your biggest concern is rot in the wooden components of the boat's structure. Unless you are confident that you can personally inspect thess things yourself, it's best to bring in an expert. Yes the surveys are expensive but one could possibly save you from flushing $4k down the toilet. The on-water test is also strongly recommended because boats have a tendency to run fine on land but not so much on the water (I have a situation going on like that with my own boat at the moment). You can probably get away without a water trial if you have a mechanic do a thorough inspection of the engine and drive. An engine compression test is most important. Good luck!

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to go see it yourself. and get a survey. if he brings it 7 hours to you and you arent happy with what you see, you are stuck and he will be peeved.

also, i have ridden in these boats - nice micro cruiser but def. slow.

ReelPlumber

Seaman

One of the other things to look for especially a boat being used in saltwater is the exhaust risers. they hold water and saltwater is very corrosive. A little water in the oil you have a problem, a little saltwater in the oil and your have a bigger problem. Like everyone else has said have it surveyed and/or take the boat out and run it.