90W Oil will blow my Sterndrive Apart.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class
i been purchasing part from my local Marine Dealer. and i been talking alot to this sale person/mechanic..

he told me to just put 90W on the sterndrive. it will work the same way. plus its alot cheaper.. he said he recommend putting the oil which is ask for. but to save money 90W oil will do.

so i did on both of my sterndrive.

i mention about the oil i have added to the sterndrive. and the mechanic who check my engine few days ago said watch out for the 90W oil because it will EXPAND and create to much pressure inside the sterndrive and blow a SEAL..

he said 90W Oil will expand and blow seals out!!! should i worry about this??

i filled both of my sterndrive with 90W. should i remove some so when the oil expand it will have a place to go and not blow any seal!!???

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90W Oil will blow my Sterndrive Apart.

I am not sure. You should stick with marine outdrive oil for your particular outdrive. What is 10-15 per quart, so what if you spend $30 per year on outdrive oil. You risk issues not using a marine outdrive oil.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use synthetic 75-90w per bondos rec and have done so for about 2 years now

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I know how frustrating it is to hear conflicting opinions - especially from people who you would think are reputable and knowledgeable.

When in doubt, I would think that the manufacturers recommendation would be a safe bet.

WizeOne

Commander

He didn't know what he was talking about. Electric shift OMC's did use a lighter oil but not your '83. I would go with the 75-90 synthetic though.

In any case, the outdrive is never filled completely full, even the upper. There is always room for expansion.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

He didn't know what he was talking about. Electric shift OMC's did use a lighter oil but not your '83. I would go with the 75-90 synthetic though.

In any case, the outdrive is never filled completely full, even the upper. There is always room for expansion.

Ohh no. iam in big trouble then.. because i put 80-90W. would that be a problem

cr2k

Captain

Out west here we use 70-140 synthetic blend. But we have warmer summers too.

Philster

Captain

I have a theory about taking financial shortcuts. On the surface, getting cheaper stuff always seems cheaper... on paper. In reality, not using what the makers says to use sometimes leads to more money out of pocket.

However, one thing it always leads to is loss of sleep and or some time during your day where you are left wondering and worrying. I can't see how that makes any sense.

I know that budgets are tight... and saving money in small am'ts is tempting, but it is always the guy who says, "But the salesperson told me it was ok" that is looking over a blown something-or-the-other with a certified technician who has to figure out how much it is going to cost for the mistake.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Ohh no. iam in big trouble then.. because i put 80-90W. would that be a problem

Isn't that what the manual calls for?

I don't understand the "save money with 90W" part.
80W90 should be the same price as 90W within a few pennies

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Convential 80-90 gear lub has held up in car differentials since Hector was a pup and works equally well in lower units. The gear oil obtained from Marine dealers is the same stuff in most cases and in some, it may have a touch more water emulsifiers. As for lubricating ability, there is no difference except price. If your lower unit doesn't leak, use either one. If it does, you have two choices, 1) fix it, or 2) run marine lower unit lub to handle the increased water. And if you choose #2, you are still faced with the fix it problem.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Since not too many service places are familiar with the old OMC stringer drives you are going to have to research what is the right oil for them...it varies depending on whether they were the electric shift or the mechanical shift models...try to get access to an OE manual or find an Evinrude dealer (they can still get some OMC parts) and ask them....they can look it up for you...you have an intermediate housing and the lower unit that have sepearte oil reservoirs...Many OMCs took the Hi-Vis gear oil (available in the marine aftermarket also) in the lower units except the electric shift models...which took something totally different....My Cobra originally used Hi-Vis but my mechanic recommended the Merc Hi Performance gear lube (greenish blue stuff) which I've used for the past 6 seasons with good results...it comes out about the same as it went in and is easy to find everywhere...

go over to www.marineengine.com
and look at the OMC sterndrive forum and ask your question there...I'm sure someone will know the rght stuff to use...