1965 Merc 3.0 L 4 clyinder inline stern drive lift problem

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the hydraulic stern drive lift pump, it is a white pump and is labeled use TYPE A transmission fluid. The Merc manual that shows this pump says to use 30 weight oil.

Which is correct?

The drive was settling back down in about an hour after lifting the drive and the drive did not lift fully. Except for using the Transmission fluid ( now called Dextron II per the auto store guy) I followed the manual on how to bleed the hydraulics and replace the fluid. This allowed the outdrive to come completely up to the trailer position with the rams extended about 10 inches so the plastic trailering clips fit. Then after returning from a trip on the lake, the outdrive would not lift.

NOTE that prior to topping off the fluid, the drive only raised 1/2 way in the past. (used boat I have had for 3 years) In fact, some black dirty junk was on the portion of the lift rods that were now exposed when the drive finally raised to max.

There are no fluid leaks, but I noticed that when the drive was put down, fluid must have pushed out the vent cap because the carpet by the pump had red fluid on it and the elevated vent cap was wet with fluid.

Am I using the right fluid? I have since found CASTROL ATF-3 That says it is not for vehicles that use Dextron II or Dextron II or Mercon or Type F.

Is The Castrol ATF-3 what I should use? I have 4 quarts of HYDRAULIC JACK OIL. Would that work?

I plan on pulling the pump and rebuilding this winter.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Merc 3.0 L 4 clyinder inline stern drive lift problem

Fisnfool,

Service Manaul #1; Section/Page 7A-14 explains your oil question. The manual also has an extensive troubleshooting/repair section on trim. Read the excerpt below. Section/Page 7A-4 will help you ID your pump.

Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/116217161/a104ccd2/_MERCUISER.html

Attachments

• Trim pump.jpg
    Trim pump.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0

zbnutcase

Commander

You need a repower. 'nutcase

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS MUCH

I missed that footnote in my hard copy of the service manual that the original owner supplied with the boat.

I had a head injury and sometimes have to read things several times.

I will have to restudy the manual.

Is there anything I am missing that shows if I have a high or low pressure system?

I have the white pump with the tall fill vent pipe attached to it.

If it does use the 30 weight oil that would explain why it only ran full up once. While using the closed system purge method, I probably bled excess air from the lift cylinders back into the reservoir due to low oil and then being too thin, the transmission oil foamed. Once air bled out, oil was probably too low again.

Bondo

Staff member

If it does use the 30 weight oil that would explain why it only ran full up once.

Nope,... The choice of oil is Not the problem...

It sounds like it's leaking Internally, either in the rams, or the pump itself...

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Fisnfool;

Manual #1, Section/Page 7A-4 will help you ID your pump.

I'm at work now and don't have access to Manual #1, but take at look at the above mentioned pages. It's pretty clear in there.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope,... The choice of oil is Not the problem...

It sounds like it's leaking Internally, either in the rams, or the pump itself...

BRAIN FART. All this chat about switch internal contacts on another thread and I never thought about internal leaks. I could just recycling the fluid through the pump or rams. Especially with the black stuff on the part of the rams when they finally extended to trailer position. No fluid but definitely soft O ring smear.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fisnfool;

Manual #1, Section/Page 7A-4 will help you ID your pump.

I'm at work now and don't have access to Manual #1, but take at look at the above mentioned pages. It's pretty clear in there.

Thanks I was just going to get in the boat and see if I could find a part number on the pump.

For my White PUMP, if the letter A is after the number it is low pressure. If no A is present, it's high pressure.

Low uses 30 wt oil, high uses trans. fluid.

I'll let you know later. Have to work on the car first then boat today.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RATS!!!!!!!!!!

I could not find a number on the pump to identify it. Even used a mirror. I guess I'll have to pull the complete solenoid mounting plate off and check under it. Ill try again tomorrow, a cold rain started. Time to sit by the fire and have a can of cold barley soup. For those unfamiliar, this is a health food made from grains and served cold. At least that is what I tell the Doctor.:D

Since the tilt pump worked part way up before I added the transmission fluid, I may just flush the system and refill with SAE 30 oil to test again before a tear down.

By the way, I sent an e-mail to Castrol asking what modern transmission fluid matched the old TYPE A.

HERE IS THEIR REPLY:

Thank you for contacting Castrol,

Type A transmission fluid was introduced in 1949. It then evolved to type A with a suffix. Eventually it became Dexron I, then II, then III and now Domestic Multi- Vehicle ATF. Therefore Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle ATF would be applicable to vehicles where Type A is recommended.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP TO THOSE THAT REPLIED.