Filling the outdrive with oil

rmhaack

Cadet
I have a 95 Sunbird Corsair 200 Cuddy. It has a 5.0 litre Cobra with an OMC outdrive. I just winterized it today. I drained the oil from the outdrive and have a couple questions about refilling it.

1. How much oil does it take? I poured the oil from the drainpan into an empty gallon oil jug and it marked about 3 quarts but I have been reading elsewhere it probably takes 2 quarts. I can account for some of this access from water that drained out from the lower unit where it normally takes water in from the lake but not sure how much.

2. Is there a reason I can't just fill it from where the dipstick goes in? I would think if I knew the right amount, I could just pour it in there and it would be much easier.

3. I pulled the "upper drain plug" (or what I believe to be the upper drain plug) and I was getting water coming out from it. I believe it to be the pink RV/marine AF but I am color blind so I couldn't tell for sure. I don't understand this because it clearly wasnt an oil/water mixture and the dipstick had good oil on it, and the oil from the lower drain plug seemed pretty good, not watered down. So question is, is that not the upper drain plug? I couldn't find anything else on the outdrive that would be an upper drain plug so I am wondering if that is a drain plug for something else, not the oil, and my outdrive just doesn't ahve an upper drain plug for oil?

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Filling the outdrive with oil

Well my thoughts are....step away from the Cobra....get a manual...before you cost yourself a big pile'o cash...because it's clear...that you really don't know what you are doing here....so here is some help....

for the proper procedure to drain and refill the drive see
www.crowleymarine.com look in product support...OMC Cobra drives...
You drain from the bottom plug on the lower unit...but when you fill it...you have to fill from the plug that is up higher near where the upper and lower housings are bolted together...you replace the drain...then remove the fill plug and just rest the dipstick in the hole in the top cover...then with a gear oil pump...pump in gear oil (OMC Hi Vis or Merc Hi Perf)...till you get 2 qts in...and check the dipstick...when it reads full...then screw it in all the way..remove the gear oil pump..and quickly replace the fill plug...next recheck the level with the dipstick...if any needs to be added...you can add it thru the dipstick hole. DO NOT try to fill the whole amount thru either the drain at the bottom of the drive or the dipstick hole because you can't get enough oil in and you WILL ruin the upper gears....so learn the right way the first time...not the hard...expen$$ive way....

the plug you removed...is it the one marked in this pic...NOT to remove..well if it is...then you have to pull the drive...and retrieve the retainer that fell down in the water passage...that is a casting hole...that is not used for any draining...and you leave that screw/plug alone...

however...the Cobra pivot housing has 3 drains...that do need to be removed...see em in the pix...

Attachments

• Cobra drive oil change.jpg
    Cobra drive oil change.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cobra drain 2.jpg
    cobra drain 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cobra drain 1.jpg
    cobra drain 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have water in your drive. Did you pull your drive yet to see if you have water in your bellows? That could be one place where it may be getting in. If not, you need to have your drive pressure tested to see where your leak is.

When you are ready to replace your oil, you need to replace all the gaskets/o-rings on all the plugs.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I have a 95 Sunbird Corsair 200 Cuddy. It has a 5.0 litre Cobra with an OMC outdrive. I just winterized it today. I drained the oil from the outdrive and have a couple questions about refilling it.
That's not a "dog-clutch " model. It's a 94 or 95 transition OMC or Volvo Penta SX drive. The OMC transition and VP SX model should have a raw water pump installed on the engine............

2. Is there a reason I can't just fill it from where the dipstick goes in?
Yes. You will destroy the drive.

3. I pulled the "upper drain plug" (or what I believe to be the upper drain plug) and I was getting water coming out from it. I believe it to be the pink RV/marine AF but I am color blind so I couldn't tell for sure.
What are your thoughts? Thanks.
I don't know if the SX's have the infamous "DO NOT REMOVE" plug like the earlier Dog-Clutch Cobras did...... If you removed that "plug" after you "winterized" (presumably with red anti-freeze) that may be why you saw anti-freeze....get someone who can determine the color to look...

Either way, It's clear that you are doing this stuff "in the dark" with no service manual.

Before you do it wrong, get an OEM service manual..... That will be an OMC factory manual.... Not a Seloc/Clymer "manual"(use those to start your wood stove)

Cheers,

Rick

rmhaack

Cadet

Well my thoughts are....step away from the Cobra....get a manual...before you cost yourself a big pile'o cash...because it's clear...that you really don't know what you are doing here....so here is some help....

for the proper procedure to drain and refill the drive see
www.crowleymarine.com look in product support...OMC Cobra drives...
You drain from the bottom plug on the lower unit...but when you fill it...you have to fill from the plug that is up higher near where the upper and lower housings are bolted together...you replace the drain...then remove the fill plug and just rest the dipstick in the hole in the top cover...then with a gear oil pump...pump in gear oil (OMC Hi Vis or Merc Hi Perf)...till you get 2 qts in...and check the dipstick...when it reads full...then screw it in all the way..remove the gear oil pump..and quickly replace the fill plug...next recheck the level with the dipstick...if any needs to be added...you can add it thru the dipstick hole. DO NOT try to fill the whole amount thru either the drain at the bottom of the drive or the dipstick hole because you can't get enough oil in and you WILL ruin the upper gears....so learn the right way the first time...not the hard...expen$$ive way....

the plug you removed...is it the one marked in this pic...NOT to remove..well if it is...then you have to pull the drive...and retrieve the retainer that fell down in the water passage...that is a casting hole...that is not used for any draining...and you leave that screw/plug alone...

however...the Cobra pivot housing has 3 drains...that do need to be removed...see em in the pix...

I removed the pivot housing water drain screw, not the one you said not to remove. The one you say not to remove that is a casting hole, runs all the way through the outdrive and seems to be a solid shaft with some sort of spring or something on it inside because it has a little bit of play side to side. I can't find the other upper drain plug, I guess I must be retarted or something. I will take a couple pics of either side and maybe someone can point out the obvious that I am missing...

FYI, not sure if it matters, but my lower drain plug is on the port side, not the starboard as many diagrams show it...

rmhaack

Cadet

I took a couple pictures, not sure if you can see them very well, but I sure don't see an upper drain plug. Maybe I am just plain missing it, but I don't see it anywhere...

Attachments

• outdrive.JPG
    outdrive.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive2.JPG
    outdrive2.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • outdrive3.JPG
    outdrive3.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have the SX style drive which is basically the Volvo drive. You fill those from the bottom until the oil hits the vent hole that is located under the removable cover that is held on with 3 screws on the back of the drive. After oil comes out that hole. Screw in that vent plug(with a new gasket)and then replace the bottom plug(with a new gasket. You can then check the level again with the top plug which has a dipstick attached.

Just to reiterate, you have the plug on the top of the drive which has the dipstick. You have the vent plug which is behind the plastic cover on the right hand side and you have the drain plug at the bottom of the drive.

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The upper drain plug is behind the plastic cover. Like everyone else says, READ THE MANUAL. We dont want you to do it wrong.

rmhaack

Cadet

Ok, I will look under the cover this weekend. I don't have a manual and would like to just finish the outdrive up this weekend if possible. So to reiterate so I do it right.
I drained the oil using the lower drain plug. I reinstall the lower plug using a new o ring. Then I fill it from the upper drain plug which is underneath the cover that I remove that has 3 bolts holding it down and oil should just start to come back out this upper hole. All this time the dipstick is unscrewed but just sitting there so it can breath through that hole I presume. It should take about 2 quarts. I can then reinstall the upper plug with a new o ring, check the level using the dipstick, and then reinstall the dipstick. I don't remember if there was an o ring on the dipstick but I presume that I should replace it as well if there is one there.
Sounds about right?

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I will look under the cover this weekend. I don't have a manual and would like to just finish the outdrive up this weekend if possible. So to reiterate so I do it right.
I drained the oil using the lower drain plug. I reinstall the lower plug using a new o ring. Then I fill it from the upper drain plug which is underneath the cover that I remove that has 3 bolts holding it down and oil should just start to come back out this upper hole. All this time the dipstick is unscrewed but just sitting there so it can breath through that hole I presume. It should take about 2 quarts. I can then reinstall the upper plug with a new o ring, check the level using the dipstick, and then reinstall the dipstick. I don't remember if there was an o ring on the dipstick but I presume that I should replace it as well if there is one there.
Sounds about right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

it has already been said several times to fill from the bottom plug..... you really need to either get the manual or pay someone that knows what they are doing to do it for you.

rmhaack

Cadet

Ok, I reread, I fill it from the bottom until it comes out the top vent hole, reinsert the top plug, reinsert the bottom plug, and then double check the level. I got confused because someone in an earlier post said to fill it from the top... but you have to pump it in from the bottom, got it...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

He didn't realize you have the SX Cobra which is basically the Volvo drive. You are going to have to pick up these gaskets and o-rings from a dealer.

I always check my oil level everytime I take the boat out. i suggest you do the same as well as an hour or two oafter you are done filling.

Make sure you use the correct oil. I use Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic in mine.

rmhaack

Cadet

He didn't realize you have the SX Cobra which is basically the Volvo drive. You are going to have to pick up these gaskets and o-rings from a dealer.

I always check my oil level everytime I take the boat out. i suggest you do the same as well as an hour or two oafter you are done filling.

Make sure you use the correct oil. I use Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic in mine.

Does anyone know of a place online I can order these o-rings from? I called a couple boat dealers this morning and they don't sell OMC so their suggestion was to find them online (I'm in Huntsville, AL). I assume the reason you change them everytime is so that you're sure you are getting a good seal with a new o ring...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Check on iboats to see if they sell em...it's probably the same as the Volvo SX part for the same year as yours...two on line places where you can check are
www.dougrussell.com look in the parts catalog
www.crowleymarine.com

Sorry about my post I mis read your info did not see the year of the Cobra there....the one you have is the joint venture product (good one too) and is the same as the same model year Volvo SX...so any place that sells Volvo parts should be able to get those for you....

I check doug russell and the part #s for the OMC are the same as for the Volvo for the drain plug gasket...the vent plug gasket... and the one for the dipstick on the top of the upper unit....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone know of a place online I can order these o-rings from? I called a couple boat dealers this morning and they don't sell OMC so their suggestion was to find them online (I'm in Huntsville, AL). I assume the reason you change them everytime is so that you're sure you are getting a good seal with a new o ring...
Find a Volvo dealer...they will carry the ones you need since you basically have the Volvo SX.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The plastic Johnson or Evinrude washers are the same too..
Any of those around?