Honda Reliability?

flamprey

Cadet
I am looking a a boat with a 2006 Honda 115 4 Stroke. Never had a Honda and wondering about what everyones thoughts on a Honda in general?
Fritz

T Wardy

Cadet
Re: Honda Reliability?

I think you will have no issues......Think about it. Honda has more engineering, design and race technology at their disposal than ANY other outboard company. It's a good motor. :)

robert graham

Admiral

As with all outboard motors, reliability and performance will be tied directly to the preventive maintenance program. Buy a factory manual for your Honda, study it and learn how to make it run. You can do most of the maintenance yourself. Fresh, clean, stabilized gas is a key element to reliability. Good Luck!

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Like any other motor, it all depends on how it was maintained. My uncle has a 150 on his pontoon and loves it. It's never given him a bit of trouble - although it's been professionally maintained from day one.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

A buddy of mine bought a used rig with a Honda and has had really good luck with it. Also, the guys who zoom around in the little orange boats certainly seem to like them. As already mentioned, however, it all hinges around maintenance when talking about a used engine. (Having said that, anyone who would drop the big bucks on a new Honda and then NOT take care of it would have to be a knucklehead.)

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yep, guys in the orange boats have them. I have seen more and more on boats around here. Very quite and seem to be very reliable. I do no tknow of anyone that has had issues, but like was said, key is all in the maint...

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no direct experience with the Honda motors but I'd assume they are reliable given the company's history. The only other consideration would be professional repair availability if you need it. Honda's are still a bit of a rarity around here and there are few places to get them worked on. Check around and make sure you wouldn't have to travel too far or pay too much to have it worked on.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While I don't have much experience with Honda outboards, I was a parts/service manager at a Honda auto dealership for years. I KNOW they make great autos, and their outdoor power equipment is top notch. The problem has always been that their prices are always top notch too!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Service Department availibility could be an issue as stated. See what dealers or service techs in your area can work on the Hondas. Otherwise, I think they would be a bad investment...

Wheelhouse

Cadet

Hondas are nice smooth runing engines. The downside is they are heavy.
Repair parts are very expensive. Be careful what kind of water you run it in.
Salt water is ok but if you expect to run in water that has a high alkaline content you must keep it flushed out with a lime/calcium treatment.
If you don't keep it flushed you will soon have overheating problems and an engine teardown is the only solution. You don't have to wonder how I know this.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At first,I had been hesitant to even consider Honda for my next boat,but the more I read about them and their reputation for reliability,the more likely I will
be to buy one and not even consider Mercury's four strokes now. Mercury's four strokes have not even won an award from the NMMA's CSI program,but Honda has won that award six years in a row,so that should tell you that their motors are of the best possible quality,...that being top notch. But,as
everyone else in this thread has told you,it all comes down to keeping your baby maintained regularly regardless of the brand of outboard you choose.
I have had two Mercs in the past,and both were lemons,so you can bet I am
very hesitant on choosing that brand again,even though I would prefer to buy
an american brand name. I am done with two strokes,...not as fuel efficient,and enviromentally clean when it comes to the portable jobs.

As for service work when needed,I have at least five dealers within an hour's
drive of where I live. My question to you is this;.. How big of a motor are you
considering?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

well made but not super user friendly when it comes to DIY stuff, make sure you have access to a dealer/mech certed in Hondas.