Fogging Fuel Injection?????

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice
In was told by a mechanic that i did not need to fog my fuel injected engine. He said that was only for carbuerators. I have been doing some re-search on winterization and from what i have been reading i am getting the indication that I should fog my engine?? So i am very confused. Shoud I do this or not??

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fogging Fuel Injection?????

When researching my engine and outdrive I came across a bulletin from Volvo that recommends a "pickling" procedure for their engines with fuel injection.

What engine do you have?

The Volvo bulletin basically says to hook up a six gallon (I do not see why it can't be a smaller tank, as long as mixture is correct) portable tank filled with stabilized 50:1 mix to the inlet on fuel pump and run engine for 10-15 minutes to draw the mix throughout the entire fuel system.

Let us know what engine you have and someone here should be able to point you to the exact procedure your manufacturer recommends.

No matter the engine, it's probably a safe bet to fog the cylinders via the spark plug holes.

If it's Volvo Penta, I'll send you a link to the service bulletin I am referring to.

Bifflefan

Commander

As far as i know fogging has nothing to do with the carbs or fuel inj.
It is to protect the cylinder walls from rust. So what your guy is saying is that rust will never form in an injected motor. I don't think so.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would simply pull the spark plugs and spray WD-40 in each cylinder and tunr it over by hand a time or two. Put the plugs back in and you're set.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Get a portable fuel tank, fill it with a gallon of gas, a couple of ounces of
TCW3 2 stroke outboard oil, and a couple of ounces of marine stabil. Hook this up before or after your fuel filter (doesn't really matter). Run the engine for 10 minutes or so on this mixture and then spray fogging oil down the throat of the throttle body just like every other engine.

Do you have to do this??? No, you don't have to do anything don't want to really. But your waaayyyyyyy less likely to have stuck fuel injectors and stuck electrical fuel pumps come spring time.

PS~ you need a new mechanic If this guy doesn't know how to winterize a fuel injected engine (and more importantly the reasons why things are done a certain way), he's USELESS!!!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have TBI (Throttle Body Injection) you can just squirt fogging oil down the throttle plates just like with a carb.
If you have MPI (Multi Port Injection) you will need to use the mixture as explained in this swervice bulletin.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

I would simply pull the spark plugs and spray WD-40 in each cylinder and tunr it over by hand a time or two. Put the plugs back in and you're set.

sounds like the most straight forward easy way to go , thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hi, Chris-

I just checked the V-P engine manual for "our" boats, and they recommended the fuel mixture approach for the TBI engines. That said, I'll probably use fogging spray down the throat of the throttle body, and foillow up with a shot of oil in the cylinders when I pull the spark plugs.

For carbs, it's both- fuel mixture and fogging through the carb throat

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, Chris-

I just checked the V-P engine manual for "our" boats, and they recommended the fuel mixture approach for the TBI engines. That said, I'll probably use fogging spray down the throat of the throttle body, and foillow up with a shot of oil in the cylinders when I pull the spark plugs.

For carbs, it's both- fuel mixture and fogging through the carb throat

Hey John , ok sounds like ill take the "hat" off and spray the trottle body and take each spark plug off and spray down in there with fogging oil.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't bother with pulling the plugs out. It would be a waste of time. Do that is an outboard thing where you want to fog both the bottom end and the top end of the motor. With an IO you only need to fog the top end and that is accomplished by shooting down the throttle plates.

PS~WD40 down the cylinders does nothing

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't bother with pulling the plugs out. It would be a waste of time. Do that is an outboard thing where you want to fog both the bottom end and the top end of the motor. With an IO you only need to fog the top end and that is accomplished by shooting down the throttle plates.

PS~WD40 down the cylinders does nothing

ok, so if i leave the spark plugs in and just spray the throttle body, do i need to have the engine on when i am spraying the throttle body? Also can you explain why it is a waste of time to spray down in the spark plug holes. Thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral

ok, so if i leave the spark plugs in and just spray the throttle body, do i need to have the engine on when i am spraying the throttle body? Also can you explain why it is a waste of time to spray down in the spark plug holes

Just grab a can of Mercury storage seal and follow the directions on the back. If you get enough smoke that you think somebody is going to call the fire department, then you did it correctly.

Its a waste of time to pull the plugs in an IO because if you follow the directions you will have already fogged the cylinders. Its redundant.

2 stroke outboards are different.

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

ok, so engine on while i spray, wait till it starts smoking then shutoff, i already have foggin oil so ill use that.