Lowrance and Eagle

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know Lowrance makes the Eagle brand fishfinders, but does anyone have experience with being able to interchange the head units?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lowrance and Eagle

different plug ins, eagle plug ins suck. lowrance uses a good twist lock plug, adapters are available but why bother, pay the extra bucks and get a lowrance

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

different plug ins, eagle plug ins suck. lowrance uses a good twist lock plug, adapters are available but why bother, pay the extra bucks and get a lowrance

I have found absolutely nothing wrong with either Eagle or Lowrance or their sockets and "plugins". Some units are more "feature rich" than others, but performance in either is exemplary. The Eagle has a couple of subtleties which bring the price down somewhat, but there is nothing particularly inferior about the Eagle, Including the "plugins". For the past 4 years I have used an Eagle FishMark 480 with the Skimmer? transducer and have not had a moment's problem with it, the cables, the transducer or the "plugins". I would buy another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AIVGy7_A60

Captain Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I too have used Eagle products for many years and have absolutely zero problems with any of them. The head unit connectors are not an issue either although a very light wipe with petroleum jelly allows them to slip together easier.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I too have used Eagle products for many years and have absolutely zero problems with any of them. The head unit connectors are not an issue either although a very light wipe with petroleum jelly allows them to slip together easier.

I think I'd avoid using petroleum jelly or any other petroleum based product on those connectors. Petroleum jelly is a "petroleum" derived product and will deteriorate the rubber connector.

Gregk

Seaman

I think I'd avoid using petroleum jelly or any other petroleum based product on those connectors. Petroleum jelly is a "petroleum" derived product and will deteriorate the rubber connector.

should be able to use dielectric grease for that, no?

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

should be able to use dielectric grease for that, no?

Yes. Dielectric grease is not a petroleum product. I'm not so sure I'd want to use it to make the connectors slip on more easily anyway. The easier they slip on, the easier they'd slip off. The male and female connectors are molded to bind so they they will stay connected. If there is concern for corrosion of the metal connectors inside the rubber housing, then it could be carefully applied with a toothpick.

Captain Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

By golly my Eagle Magna III from gosh only knows when is still ticking along just fine. I also said a light wipe of PJ, not to give the connectors a bath in the the stuff. If PJ is worrisome for you, good old spit works too.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had an Eagle Optima, nothing but trouble with the power and transducer connections,have been very close to chucking it overboard several times. I bought a lowrance x515c at the Vancouver boat show last Feb. I and more importantly my wife are totaly happy with it,could have had the equivilant Eagle fore $150. cheaper but wanted nothing more to do with their bogus connectors

John_S

Rear Admiral

By golly my Eagle Magna III from gosh only knows when is still ticking along just fine.

The Eagle Magna II (1997) that came on my bowrider still works fine. The connector on the back gets pluged-in/out with every outing. And thats coming from a HB guy.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks. My original question was if the Eagle and Lowrance heads were interchangeable. The answer is yes with an adapter. I didn't mean to start a debate over wich brand was superior. Thanks again for the help. The knowledge on this forum is awesome.