Prep and paint for the LU

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prep and paint for the LU

This is the stuff I used:

zcprimer.jpg

And before anyone asks, no that's not my can :D

Same stuff I used, purchased at Canadian Tire. You could probably get it at Auto Zone or whatever automotive superstore you have there. I also used a Duplicolor top coat van and truck paint (storm grey).

imported_Jimbo

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Guys,

I?m about to do the same thing, and just to make sure I got it right, it?s ok to spray the zinc-chromate primer ontop of the old paint as long as the surface is properly cleaned and sanded? I don?t have to remove all old paint for the primer to get a good grip?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I figured it was the appropriate place to put this question.

BR Jimbo

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the pics, it will make it alot easier for me to find it a mist all the other cans....thanks

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This question involves BKTheKing's suggestion of using only enamel clearcoat with enamel paints (and lacquer with lacquer). I bookmarked this thread as I'm getting ready to do some touchup painting. I have a '95 Evinrude and got BRP touchup paint. I can't find anywhere on the can if it's enamel or lacquer? Does anyone know or know where to send me to find out? Thanks.

BTW - all the repaints look great. I hope have as much success!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Another common misconception I hear is that all old outboards were painted with lacquer paint. Some were painted with lacquer but not all of them were. I have documentation from OMC showing the use of an acrylic enamel two times to one over the use of lacquer. I asked the technical representative at BASF how to tell which paint was on an old motor. He said that anything painted with lacquer that was over 25 years old will have spider cracks running all through the paint. If your motor doesn't have these cracks than it is probably has acrylic enamel paint.(see example) Notice the cracks in the decal which is made from Lacquer. You will notice the paint does not have these cracks, therefore it is not Lacquer paint.

This is a paragraph from this document. http://www.nymarine.ca/Tips.html

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Couple tips that always work for me: Warm the can of spray paint in hot tap water, it helps it flow out better. If you do see any fish-eyes (areas where the paint starts to pull away after spraying) don't despair. I find that light first coats will reveal any areas that are going to do this, and so it's easy to let the thin mist coat dry and re-sand that area, and clean. If you are using OMC paint, it likes several thin coats as opossed to one heavy coat.

Just did the 1954 CD-11 Johnson 5.5 hp last fall, and the 1975 9.9 Johnson this summer, was very happy with the results. We cannot get Zinc Chromate here anymore, but zinc oxide worked fine for me.

Nice 'rude 15 cowl paint job, did you clear coat over Nana's stickers??

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes I did clearcoat over the sticker but it was done with a spray gun and not a rattle can, probably why it looks so good. My dad has the complete setup for painting base/clear. The white was rattle can stuff, it was duplicolor as well. I must have sprayed 6 or 7 coats of white to get it to that finish, 4 coats of primer and 1 coat of clear.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK guys, I read up from this thread and I've done lots of painting over the years. I got two cans of Evinrude Blue to touch up my '95 60HP. I repainted the upper cowling and mid-unit. Then I wanted to add another coat on the upper cowling, and the lower cowling. I was now on the second can. I've had nothing but trouble and I'm now wondering if the spray can could be "bad?" The paint seems to be "un-mixing" when I spray it. There are like small "droplets" cascading off the paint as I put it on, then it's been getting all crenulated as it dries... I tried spraying some scrap aluminum and it seems to do it there (so I don't think it's my prep work). Could a spray can go bad? I've shaken it violently! I'm at a loss (again, I prepped everything the same - good cleaning final wipe down with acetone).

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes the nozzle could be bad, I had that happen on my second can of white on my 9.9. Pull the nozzle out of the good spray can and transfer it to bad can, problem solved.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm just going to say it - I was actually wondering if that could be the issue, but it seems too simple! I guess I actually have more egg on the face for not asking if that could be it! Now, where is that old can........