Raw gas leak out bottom near drive

geepen

Recruit
Hey, I just got this old 50 HP Evinrude motor when stating and running gas pores out the bottom near the drive. I seems to start go and idles good. What would cause this? There does not seem to be gas leaking where the engine is and does not leak if it is off. I don't know much about 2 strokers or where to start looking or what to tear apart first. Any help would be great. thanks

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Raw gas leak out bottom near drive

stuck floats or a bad gas line.

a70eliminator

Captain

I had a fuel leak problem on my old 60hp evinrude, it idled great too but had a bad fuel leak that showed up running down the lower everything around the carb and fuel pump was dry, turned out there is a rubber hose that supplies crankcase pressure to the fuel pump, it's a pain to reach, the hose was split right at the barbed nipple off the bottom of the crankcase and fuel was just pouring out of it with the engine running, the leaking fuel flows right down the leg.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A bad fuel pump diaghram will allow make a cylinder run too tich and fuel to run out the exhaust passages.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A bad fuel pump diaghram will allow a cylinder run too rich and fuel to run out the exhaust passages.

geepen

Recruit

Thanks for the info. No gas leak out the exhaust. I checked the fuel lines and the fuel pump no leaks. Also no leak from the carb on the outside. Is there any passage on the inside that would let the gas leak from inside the engine? Also if the float is to high or stuck where does the gas leak? on the outside or into the engine? thanks everyon

a70eliminator

Captain

If the float was too high to the point of overflowing fuel into the manifold I doubt the engine would even start, on your fuel pump there is one port labeled press. this hose it's very hard to get at the other (motor) end and that's where they usually will crack from dryrot, you'll then get gas flowing down the lower with the engine running. I know I sound like a broken record but I've seen it twice now.

Holeshot458

Cadet

I had a fuel leak problem on my old 60hp evinrude, it idled great too but had a bad fuel leak that showed up running down the lower everything around the carb and fuel pump was dry, turned out there is a rubber hose that supplies crankcase pressure to the fuel pump, it's a pain to reach, the hose was split right at the barbed nipple off the bottom of the crankcase and fuel was just pouring out of it with the engine running, the leaking fuel flows right down the leg.

Believe what a70eliminator says! I just found this exact same problem on my 1989 90hp. I haven't had it out, yet, since fixing it. But, I sure had a problem with gas leaking down the lower unit. It was very hard to see and I missed the cracked hose several times before finally finding it.

HTH

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, don't run the motor in that condition - at least not without a fire extinguisher handy!

To find your fuel leak with the motor off, remove the intake silencer, then tilt the motor up a little. Then just squeeze the primer bulb and look for what's leaking - since the motor is tilted, you should see the fuel accumulate in the forward part of the lower cowling. You may want to clean the inside of the lower cowling first to make the drips easier to spot.

Ask me how I know this is the way to find a fuel leak - good luck!

Tim