Bayliner gas fume smell from floor compartment!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bayliner gas fume smell from floor compartment!

Being that it has a plastic tank, I would lean toward vapor permeation. Once you get the blower running, don't forget to check the below deck vents (not tank vent) to be sure the below deck area is being vented while under way.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I quoted the whole thing. If you didn't find any bubbles might not mean you still don't have a leak, air on top liquid on the bottom. Ok one more question?? you filled both compartments with water, did you wash everything real good with (example)Mr Clean? If not give everything a good thorough cleaning and then close everything back up after it has completely dried to see if your still getting a strong gas smell.

I scrubbed it spotless with crud cutter, then some dish soap. Hosed it all thru to the engine bilge and removed plug when done to drain it all out. Still smells.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I scrubbed it spotless with crud cutter, then some dish soap. Hosed it all thru to the engine bilge and removed plug when done to drain it all out. Still smells.

Damn, ya sounds like you got a leak then, even though you didn't see air bubbles doesn't mean anything, poke a pin hole on the bottom of a plastic bottle and fill with half water then blow in the bottle, water will come out of hole faster with out air bubbles. ya you should try to locate, might be very difficult to do though. And all your hoses are tight and gas isn't tracing down the hose to lowest point?? Checked both hoses good??

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Damn, ya sounds like you got a leak then, even though you didn't see air bubbles doesn't mean anything, poke a pin hole on the bottom of a plastic bottle and fill with half water then blow in the bottle, water will come out of hole faster with out air bubbles. ya you should try to locate, might be very difficult to do though. And all your hoses are tight and gas isn't tracing down the hose to lowest point?? Checked both hoses good??

Yep, I used water and soap to check the hoses and sending unit connections.

On your 2050, you can actually lift you floor compartment, and there is ZERO smell correct? Ours are designed identical underneath, except for the open bow vs cuddy.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

UPDATE:

Ok guys, I left the boat covered. Upon taking the canvas off the boat smells like a lawn shed. Kind of like lawn mowers and gas cans. I cracked the dog house for the engine and it just smells like a dirty oily engine compartment. Very little to no noticable gas fumes!

Opening the floor compartment or ski locker as some would call it, seems very strong odor of gas. I am at the end here. Why is the engine area not smelling? I cannot find any leaks. I tipped the boat all the way up on the trailer and no gas comes out the bilge drain at all!!!!

I wonder if I really have a problem or if I am over reacting. After all gas fumes in great concentration in a ski locker cannot be all that bad if they are not getting to the engine.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

On your 2050, you can actually lift you floor compartment, and there is ZERO smell correct? Ours are designed identical underneath, except for the open bow vs cuddy.

No you can't just lift it out on mine either, you look in the engine compartment and see apart of the top of the gas tank(aluminum) that the 2hoses and fuel gauge are on top, thats it, there is a plug that goes into the engine compartment from the ski locker(cooler), and another hole that you could put a plug from the ski locker going to the gas tank if you wanted to keep fumes from going into the ski locker, regular boat plugs fit in the holes perfectly, don't forget to pull them after your boating day so water can drain out the back from rain, tubing Etc...Correct, no smell at all!!

boatpoker

Seaman Apprentice

Only an idiot looks for the "quick fix" with gas fumes. You are playing with your life ! Never never, never pressure test a fuel tank in a boat !
Have the tank removed and inspected by a pro. Replace all the 20yr. old fuel lines even if they look good (nothing lasts forever).

Last edited:

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, I used water and soap to check the hoses and sending unit connections.

Only an idiot looks for the "quick fix" with gas fumes. You are playing with your life ! Never never, never pressure test a fuel tank in a boat !
Have the tank removed and inspected by a pro. Replace all the 20yr. old fuel lines even if they look good (nothing lasts forever).

I agree, fumes are no joke, we have had deaths recently on our lake because of boat fumes, I am just wondering why mine has an alumimum 30gl tank and I have seen where three others have plastic, Hmm go figure. You do have to find that leak, I agree!!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't fool around,cut the floor and take the tank out. Change the lines and get the tank rebuilt or at least lined. oops! had a custom made steel tank built for $140. Change the lines and glass it back in. No more fumes and no risk to your family and friends.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree some times the best way to go is replace it all with new components. I had the smell of gas coming from my boat with out removing anything but after replacing the sending unit and gasket it went away.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So should I replace with stainless, aluminum, or another plastic?

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

The aluminum tank on my 86 Chris Craft had many tiny pinholes in it. There were some on top, and a lot on the bottom of the tank I could not see until I removed it. The fill and vent lines were also shot, so I replaced it all. I could not find a plastic tank on the shelf that would fit, so I has one built. There are a lot of companies that will build one for you for a few hundred dollars. Do a web search. Send them a drawing along with all the mesurements and locations of the fittings and they will build it to order. Ensure you replace the lines with USCG approved stock.

If you can find a stock tank that will fit, then go for it. If not, a custom built is the only way to go. You really don't want to mess with fumes as stated earlier. You should not smell any fuel in the tank area. About the only area you might get some fumes is at the vent fitting outside the hull. On mine, the holes were small enough to leak fuel, but it would evaporate before it would pool. There was no visual clues, only the smell of fuel. Dangerous stuff here that WILL explode if not taken care of.

As for what material, stanless is overkill. Aluminum will last a long time as well as plastic, but getting a custom plastic tank will take a lot of time and money. Plastic will also crack if not properly built and supported.​

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

No you can't just lift it out on mine either, you look in the engine compartment and see apart of the top of the gas tank(aluminum) that the 2hoses and fuel gauge are on top

Fuel sending unit, Just saw that oops. heres a pic. That's all the room I have too.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump 1.JPG
    Fuel Pump 1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I'm concerned about my situation.
I smell a faint gas odor (like a shed full of lawn equipment), whenever I take the cover off.
My wife always complains the life vests smell like gas (we store them under the left bow seats, which is where the fuel fill lines right through that compartment.

I always assumed it was coming from the tank or through the vents....isn't this possible ? and it concentrates in confined spaces ? I don't think it's anywhere concentrated enough to ignite....I've never seen a garden shed explode from the gas smell.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WAVENBYE2,

Your tank is definatly not factory, and you should be thankful it is not. Someone replaced it!!!!! And with an awsome aluminum!

Now to my next question, could you by chance pull you carpet back if it is not glued down and let me know if your floor is cut. If it is, possibly could you get some dimensions? I know the mid sention of out boats are the same. The front is open on yours so it is a tad different.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

My carpet is screwed down (stainles)so I can just unscrew it and roll it up over the winter, did it myself. I had the specs for the whole boat and can't seem to find it, I will keep looking though. I have everything that has to do with the boat here somewhere, downloaded to disk. I'll keep looking. the pic isn't very good but that is the floor carpet that I laid.

Attachments

• fire ext2.jpg
    fire ext2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Carpet floor2.jpg
    Carpet floor2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
  • Re-apholstered1.jpg
    Re-apholstered1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you roll up the carpet, do you notice an area cut out for the fuel tank access? Either a cutout from the factory (doubtful) or a cutout from the previous owner (more likely).

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Being the smell is in the ski locker and the compartment where the fuel fill hose is that gives you a clue.
Replace those fill and vent hoses.They will need replaced if you get a new tank anyway so its worth a try.

I was having the same problem....replaced the hoses and double clamped everything and no more fuel smell.
The hoses were old but i never did find the leak in them..BUT it was the problem..;)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Can older hoses become more pourous with age?? 15-20yr old hoses.
No. I think the tank was installed from the factory.

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can older hoses become more pourous with age?? 15-20yr old hoses.
Quite a few write-ups on the negative impact of Ethanoled fuel on older fuel lines and plastic fuel tanks. I think that they upgraded the hoses about 10-15 (??) years ago to handle it. Recommended is to replace with new inboard rated hose, think that's class A.

This spring I saw the ethenol impact on my old trolling motor fuel line. It had stiffened up and the interior had actually seperated. Ethenol may have been the reason I had to keep replacing the prime bulb on it.