Johnson 5.5HP with no spark???

MNBoater130

Recruit
Hi guys,

I am new to this fourm but there seems to be alot of boating knowledge
here so I thought I would ask you guys about my Johnson outboark with no spark.
I recently purchased a 1955 Johnson 5.5 Hp Model CD-12. I replaced the
points and condensers and also the coils because they were old and cracked.
I set the points gap to .020 and the points seem to be opening and closing just fine. I connected the green wire from the coils to the insulated terminal on the points and the black wire to the screw that mounts the coil. I connected the condenser wire to the insulated terminal on the points with the green wire from the coil. I even cleaned the contacts on the points with contact cleaner and a business card ( this is what the shop that sold me the points and coils said to do). I put in new NGK B6S plugs and gapped them. After all this I still have no spark. If anyone has any ideas on why I'm
not getting any spark I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Pat

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 5.5HP with no spark???

Hi guys,

I am new to this fourm but there seems to be alot of boating knowledge
here so I thought I would ask you guys about my Johnson outboark with no spark.
I recently purchased a 1955 Johnson 5.5 Hp Model CD-12. I replaced the
points and condensers and also the coils because they were old and cracked.
I set the points gap to .020 and the points seem to be opening and closing just fine. I connected the green wire from the coils to the insulated terminal on the points and the black wire to the screw that mounts the coil. I connected the condenser wire to the insulated terminal on the points with the green wire from the coil. I even cleaned the contacts on the points with contact cleaner and a business card ( this is what the shop that sold me the points and coils said to do). I put in new NGK B6S plugs and gapped them. After all this I still have no spark. If anyone has any ideas on why I'm
not getting any spark I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Pat

With all that, it should be working just fine. So now it's anybody's guess. Breaker cam right side up? Use a multimeter to check points contact resistance. Should be zero. Not one or two ohms, zero. Check resistance from spark plug wire to ground. Should be several k-ohms. Did you set the coils' laminations flush with the machined edges of the posts they sit on?

Gotta be something you did wrong or missed.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

When was the last time it ran? Did you do anything with the wires? Magnets? (rare) Flywheel? It should run!

MNBoater130

Recruit

F_R
Thanks for the idea on checking the contact point resistance and ohming out the plug wires. I will do that tommorrow when I get a chance. The coil laminations are mounted flush with the posts they sit on.

samo_ott
The only thing that I have done to the flywheel with the magnets is use an electric light duty impact gun to get the nut off and the a puller to remove it.
I don't think that this would have affected the magnets but mabye I am wrong. As for the wires I removed them for the old coils and trimmed the ends and screwed them onto the new coils and made sure that I had them on there tight. I am not sure when the last time the motor ran I got it for $25 and the owner had never used it he inheirited it. It has 72 lbs of compression in both cylinders so I thought it was worth a try to get it running for $25.

Again thanks everyone for the input.

Pat

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Dang, it sure sounds like you have done everything... you must have missed something somehow...

kbait

Commander

Since you're going in again, replace the plug wires with the proper copper core replacement wire. You can use the same plug caps and connectors inside on the new wire. One less thing...