Pontoon guide-ons

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We have been super pleased with our simple pontoon guide-on rig that I've not seen elsewhere. Thought I'd mention it here.

We bought short trailer rails for normal V-hull boat and reversed them between the pontoons. Taking advantage of the sliding track adjustment we mounted them at back of the trailer in sort of an open V shape. And voila -- getting on and off the trailer is a cinch in even awful conditions.

One need only drive on within a 2 foot target zone and the guide-ons correct the approach. Once engaged just steer the outboard to align front gate into its known-good position against the barrier and hook up. Boat is guaranteed to be over bunks front and rear.

And the boat will not swing away during launch.

We once dipped into 4 lakes in one day as thunderstorms chased us around Grand County (before Colorado ever heard of the Zebra Mussel). Two recoveries were in heavy crosswind squalls, one of which was at a primitive ramp with a boulder border. Piece of cake -- we couldn't have been happier with our investment.

I've seen parallel inner rails on pontoon trailers and simple vertical inner posts at the rear of the trailer. Not the same. With these devices you must span the guides with perfect alignment -- or if they are mounted with sufficient slack for ease of use you might not end up squarely on the bunks.

With ours the rear-most part of the open V is much narrower and easier to engage than the forward end which is set within inches of the tube inner walls and ends close to the axles. So and it is easy to maintain steerageway on approach to trailer and the tubes are held in alignment over the bunks as the bow is steered into place.

On one rather steep ramp (with current going one way and prevailing wind in another) we usually have the vehicle driver only partially submerge the trailer and then we "ground" the tubes onto the forward bunks (sometimes with gentle backing and steering). When everything is set, he comes in the rest of the way while the boat fast-idles forward. The bunks "steer" the tubes and the rear is held in alignment.

And yes, we did ram once and knocked the bejeebers out of one side. But all was easily fixed. I think I read it here: Never approach a dock at a speed greater than you are willing to ram. Applies to trailers as well.

Sorry, I did not find a matching guide on iBoats store but http://www.iboats.com/Shock_Absorbi...61315142--**********.374579563--view_id.40438 might be even better depending on whether the V angle can be set and held firmly enough.

Attachments

• P1030298.JPG
    P1030298.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030303.JPG
    P1030303.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pontoon guide-ons

those are nice on a shallow ramp, most of the ramps i use are deep, thus, they are way below the tubes. i use outside PVC guide ons. 5 feet high.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep. Those are pretty much useless except for rarely found shallow ramps.

Tash's solution is much better and probabably less expensive.

Hunky Dory

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gee, I'm sorry -- I guess they work so well that I was unable to realize they're no good. Too bad that others might be dissuaded by such expert nay-saying.

Regardless, the fundamental difference between a pontoon and V-hull is that the beam of the toon is constant, therefore it cannot center itself within external guides like a V-hull (or around common parallel internal guides for that matter) -- it must meet them perfectly. Sometimes waves, current and afternoon winds can conspire to make such perfect seamanship difficult around here. Not to mention comical or tragic depending on one's perspective.

The point of this scheme is to mimic the alignment action of the V-hull by self-centering from underneath as well as within, thus allowing the operator to more easily cope with side forces. Remember, the tubes are in, not on, the water. Therefore these things are effective at surface level and are not required to wave in the air. They are strong enough to lever the bow into alignment with the bumper using motor thrust no matter the intercept angle. And as the trailer is pulled forward the last few inches of perfect alignment takes place as the tubes come down around the guides.

As for steep/shallow ramps, it seems that ramp designers shoot for 12 - 15% leaving these babies sticking out above the water just enough to slide right in. It sure is a treat to drive right up to the bumper in 15 seconds, take a quarter turn on the winch handle and dive into the truck in less than a minute -- in mid squall. Or sometimes we just walk it on from the dock, hop on deck to cinch the bow strap, hop off and pull out.

I have witnessed many a wild variation of pontoon loading, including early departures out of wind panic, brake slides, fender squashing, re-floats, shouting matches, gang bouncing and keel crunches to name a few. I thought a few folks might prefer not to go through that stuff anymore.

Oh, and the guides don't make the trailer illegally wide at the rear...

Whatever.

tashasdaddy

your Colorado ramps must be much different than our Florida ramps. most of the ramps i use, are deep ramps, to accomodate the larger boats.

my favorite ramps, when i launch, the end of the trailer the water is over 6 ft deep. the center guides, will no where near touch the tubes. i have bunk slides, with the guide ons, i know where the trailer is, put the bow between them, and idle straight up, to the stops. usually about 5 feet of bunks showing. the guide ons keeps the stern in place, until the boat and trailer can be pulled out of the water.

prior to using the guide ons, the center guides, got under the tubes several times causing problems.

this is my experience, others can choose to use either method.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My experiences are the same as Tash's. I live in Florida also, but the ramps here are about the same as the many others I have used in the southeast.

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

those are nice on a shallow ramp, most of the ramps i use are deep, thus, they are way below the tubes. i use outside PVC guide ons. 5 feet high.

Could you post a picture? I am looking to something for my pontoon. Where we put in more often than not is into a river at the head of Grand Lake. You are always trailering against the current - if there is wind, it is even more fun.

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

Could you post a picture? I am looking to add something for my pontoon trailer. The PVC idea sounds promising. Where we put in more often than not is into a river at the head of Grand Lake. You are always trailering against the current - if there is wind, it is even more fun.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have any guides, but I only back the trailer in and leave about 5-6 feet of the bunks showing, that 25 % of my 22 foot boat, its good enough even in the rough, wake and wind to keep the boat aligned, I just pull out really slow and the toon self centers itself >>>

rarely do I have to even re crank on the bow winch....the bow is always close to the stop

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am I the only guy that still steps in knee deep water to hand load my boat up? Most of the ramps I go to have a courtesy dock (yes, I'm lucky).

I was going to do some setup like this or the one TD has, but found that even for my big 25' girl, it's so simple just to drive her to the dock, grab a line attached to one of the toons in the front, lead her to the trailer, then guide her on there by hand. Worst case I have to walk on the trailer a bit, but I always get her up there just fine. Get her as close as you can pull by hand and then winch the rest of the way up!

I actually found this out when I had a tilt\trim issue (ended up being the switch on the outboard) and couldn't keep the boat running (she would go up and out of water on her own). Worked like a champ, and I have been using this method ever since. With all the ya-hoos that have no clue what dock courtesy is, if it takes me an extra 2 minutes, I'm still faster and safer than they are.

I guess this all just comes down to preference. All are GREAT ideas - whatever works best for you for a safe and easy day of boating, GO FOR IT!

tashasdaddy

it also depends on the ramp you use, we have courtesy dock, but they are away from the ramp. some of the ramps i use are 6-8 boats wide with no dock right at the ramp.