Bought a boat, need your help to confirm!

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Bought a boat, need your help to confirm!

I doubt it's got as much power as he says. But the real big drawback of that boat is that it's a FORD engine. Nothing wrong with 5.0 Fords, but they haven't been used in the marine industry since about 1995. You would want to make sure you can still get exhaust manifolds and other items for it.
It wouldn't be my choice, but what do I know?

(P.S.) If his job situation is that bad, he shold be happy anyone is even trying to bid on the boat in LATE September!

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Is this boat local so you can look at it? What is the history of it? Was it stored inside? Buying a boat of this age can be a gamble because of problems it could have (ie: transom, deck and stringer condition).

If you find the boat in good condition, then talk price. I would tell him to stick with your bid, no more. My take of NADA is it is nothing but a guide, and I don't plug in the "extras". With this said, it averages $ 49-5500. If he really wants to sell, he will let it go. If not, walk because there are other vessels out there.

I does look like a beautiful boat from the photos. The engine looks clean, and the interior appears in very nice condition, but photos can make things look good. The trailer will need some serious work. The rusty wheels could mean it was not taken care of, and there could be bearing issues. The bunks might also need work too. This is extra money you would be putting into it.​

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

before you go in to a binding contact on ebay.... make sure you test the boat on the water and look at it first....

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is not local at all. (488 miles each way).

First owner was a lady in the army and didn't use it much. This guy is a mechanic himself, and the condition shows overall it was used but taken care of.

He absolutly wanted me to drive it first, but a thought of driving 1k miles and backing out is not an option I even want to think of.

I really want to enjoy the last month I had of baoting before the season ends, but have not found a single boat local or within reason. All are junk 1980's for higher than book.

Would it be a ripoff for me at 6500?

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

you pretty much answered your own question-- sounds like you're not able to go the distance to properly check it out-- so pass it up:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Would it be a ripoff for me at 6500?

No it would not be a rip-off at $6500. Looks to be a real nice boat in excellent condition. I'd want, at minimum, a compression test done on the motor. I would be concerned about towing an unknown trailer 488 miles though.....

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the bearings are like trucks and cars, I plan to repack before trip. Are they hard to do? I have done lots of trucks but never a trailer. I will be driving the boat before handing over the money so as long as it is not a ripoff I gues I can go thru with the sale.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat pricing wildly varies from area to area. The bottom line is if you've done your homework, and this boat is priced fairly and in better condition than others you've looked at and is what you want....then it's a good deal.

I'm not that mechanical and paid a trailer shop $60 (mainly for my own peace of mind) to do my trailer bearings but from my understanding it's not very difficult to do. If you've done car/truck bearings than these are probably easier. Make sure you replace the seals.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

did you or are you getting it surveyed? $250.00 could be a huge investment on this expense your about to purchase.
$400.00 is not that big if a deal if you were going to peal off $6,100.00

I bought mine in Florida and shipped it up from florida on a trailer also via e-bay,,purchased only thru pics and on the advice of the marina it was at,,,,winner winner chicken dinner.

I am 45 minutes away from this rig,,let me know if you need any help
Lance

204 Escape

Ensign

I'd say $5750.00 max, and spend the difference on a survey. Stringers could be sopping wet, and you never know it until it's too late !!!!!!!!

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

why does it have MS registration numbers and the boat is in MA. I always find that suspicious

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

MS is the Mass reg ID letters

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

MS is the Mass reg ID letters

Really? hmmm, you learn something new every day....I wonder what Mississippi is? and if its MI than what's Michigan

edit: looked it up....The internet is a wonderful thing

STATE
Alabama?AL.
Alaska?AK.
American Samoa?
AS.
Arizona?AZ.
Arkansas?AR.
California?CF.
Colorado?CL.
Connecticut?CT.
Delaware?DL.
District of Columbia?
DC.
Florida?FL.
Georgia?GA.
Guam?GU.
Hawaii?HA.
Idaho?ID.
Illinois?IL.
Indiana?IN.
Iowa?IA.
Kansas?KA.
Kentucky?KY.
Louisiana?LA.
Maine?ME.
Maryland?MD.
Massachusetts?MS.
Michigan?MC.
Minnesota?MN.
Mississippi?MI.
Missouri?MO.
Montana?MT.
Nebraska?NB.
Nevada?NV.
New Hampshire?NH.
New Jersey?NJ.
New Mexico?NM.
New York?NY.
North Carolina?NC.
North Dakota?ND.
Northern Mariana
Islands?CM.
Ohio?OH.
Oklahoma?OK.
Oregon?OR.
Pennsylvania?PA.
Puerto Rico?PR.
Rhode Island?RI.
South Carolina?SC.
South Dakota?SD.
Tennessee?TN.
Texas?TX.
Utah?UT.
Vermont?VT.
Virginia?VA.
Virgin Islands?VI.
Washington?WN.
West Virginia?WV.
Wisconsin?WS.
Wyoming?WY.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

now all the capital cities for extra credit....:D

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking at the statment below, I don't know what stringers are. I am new to boating and want to make one purchase of a good baot. Not buy one and decide I want to upgrade soon.

"I'd say $5750.00 max, and spend the difference on a survey. Stringers could be sopping wet, and you never know it until it's too late !!!!!!!!"

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Stringers are the boat equivalent of floor joists. They also help stiffen the overall hull structure. The transom is the wood reinforcement in the rear of the boat to support the force of the motor. Over time, if water is allowed to sit in the boat (boat left uncovered, etc) it can rot out these things. Replacing them is a MAJOR job on a fiberglass boat. Just check the deck carefully for soft spots and examine the transom as best you can from inside the boat.

Jeep Man

Commander

If you are intent on buying it, and it sounds like you are, I would take Lance up on his kind offer and let him help you out with this. He might be willing to look it over or know someone knowledgeable in the area to lend assistance.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are intent on buying it, and it sounds like you are, I would take Lance up on his kind offer and let him help you out with this. He might be willing to look it over or know someone knowledgeable in the area to lend assistance.

And I would do that, I just am getting more and more frustrated beyond belief in trying to find the right boat. Knowing nothing, and being in a hurry to get some boating in before winter = downpayment on failure.

I kinda wanted to get it over with buy buying a "quality" used boat that has a good reputation that I can feel as a safe that my money was well spent. The bayliner I wanted, everyone talked me out of. It was 1/2 the price.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great looking boat, exactly what I would want in my next boat.
Volvo and the aftermarket support this drive, exhaust manifolds are available and so are drive parts and service.
I love the automotive style instrument cluster, the cuddy, the overall condition judged from pictures and the Ford Windsor V8 with a non OMG branded outdrive. :cool:

Its a good condition Four Winns, worth every penny, too bad it did not have an hour meter, I bet there low. Some pictures of the back would have been nice as well but in due course for you maybe.
I also have a fondness for the fuel injected Ford 5.0 and 5.8 engines from OMC but bad service/support and 15 year old early marine EFI comes with some woes it seems in many cases, carbs=reliability.

Your buying a 10 or 15 year old boat, most will need a little tinkering and there probably is no "perfect for you boat".

The bearings are like old/good cars and trucks in most times you can take them apart clean them up put some fresh grease in there and away ya go.