1989 force 85hp outboard

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am have trouble putting the flush muffs on the motor. As you can see in the picture, the vent is on the "fat" part of the motor. Do I need a special flush muffs? can some one with the similar motor post a picture for me to show me hoe it is done? Thanks

yes, I am a newbie..... :(

Attachments

• DSCF1384.JPG
    DSCF1384.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

john from md

Commander
Re: 1989 force 85hp outboard

There are several types of muffs. The ones that work better on the older engines are those with the round cups and a hose on each side. The square muffs don't work too well on the round lower case.

John

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Use the round suctioncup type and spread them open,then put them on.J

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use the round suctioncup type and spread them open,then put them on.J

I try to pull and push it on. and finally it went in, However, the suction cup doesn't fix completely on it. There are a big gap.....

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

here are the pictures.
the first one show the vent.
the send one show when i put the muffs on. as you can see the side of the muff is wide open. I can even put a big pen inside. p/s, I didn't push the pen in just lay it on top.

boat3.JPG

boat5.JPG

john from md

Commander

As I said in my email message, it appears that they are not making the muffs as strong as those that I own. I think that might be the problem.

That said, even mine allows water to escape the sides of the suction cup. It doesn't seem to matter as I get water out of the tell tale and the engine does not get hot.

John

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I said in my email message, it appears that they are not making the muffs as strong as those that I own. I think that might be the problem.

That said, even mine allows water to escape the sides of the suction cup. It doesn't seem to matter as I get water out of the tell tale and the engine does not get hot.

John

Thanks for you input, i just want to be sure that it is the right vent I am putting it on. As this is my first boat. I don't want to blow it up :)

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can also try using a cheap plastic tub from Walmart. For my 85 Force, I would put the loose fitting muffs on and lower the outboard in the tub and wait for it to fill up before running.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also try using a cheap plastic tub from Walmart. For my 85 Force, I would put the loose fitting muffs on and lower the outboard in the tub and wait for it to fill up before running.

did what you said and get a flush muffs from walmart and it works. Thanks