using boat during the winter??

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
what would i need to do to the engine/drive assembly if i want to use my boat during the winter??

used to go boating during the winter on old friend's boat...was pretty cool (no pun intended) to cruise up and down the river with everything covered in snow.

thanks for your thoughts

Dan

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: using boat during the winter??

Actually driving the boat in the water during winter, nothing. But, are you pulling it out after the drive or just parking it at the dock in the water? That's when you start having to worry. Raw water cooled? Oil weight? Thermostat setting?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i would bring it home each night.
some info on the boat:
1973 Sea Ray SRV220 OV w/merc 888

i thought about switching it over to a closed cooling system (?..radiator, electric fans and antifreeze)...could then also plumb me in some heater cores and fans to put some heat into the closed bow for the kids.

if doing this would keep me out on the water in the winter time, what would i have to do to the drive to protect it?

Alumarine

Captain

If you're bringing it out after each time just drain the block and you're done.

Oops, manifolds and other stuff with water drains as well.

haulnazz15

Captain

Closed-cooling boats don't have fans or radiators. It simply uses a heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze. Raw water still enters the boat, just not into the engine. You can still crack manifolds and such with closed cooling.

A portable 12V heater in the bow would work better than any contraption you could build.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I have the exactly same boat & engine, (other than I have closed cooling).
The coolant mix is 50/50, so temperature is not a factor on the closed side. The raw water side is a concern however in very cold temps, even if you leave it in the water, if it is fresh water.Sitting in the water for extended periods in sub freezing temps could potentially cause damage to the raw water side of the system. That is neither here nor there as an engine that old is too old to convert to closed cooling....
My advice is put it in when you want to use it & drain it like you are winterizing it when you pull it out..
I do have a heater core & blower on mine that runs off of the water pump bypass, but I like the idea of a small heater that runs off of 12v....;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dan, it is not practical to switch over to an automotive cooling system for a boat. The necessary volume of cooling air is just not available in a conventional bilge.

Although you can use the boat in winter, you must winterize after each use, or keep it from freezing, somehow. I kept my boat in saltwater, under freezing conditions, w/o incident. I put a standard heating pad under the oil pan, and kept it plugged in when the temp dropped. The combination of the non-frozen water warmth and the heating pad was enough to keep it unfrozen. I would pull the boat by late December (Central NJ), because by then the water was starting to get real cold (30s). I would winterize it on the same day I pulled it, so it would not freeze up.

If you are trailering the boat, and the temp is in the 30s, I recommend draining the block and manifold and filling them with AF, after each use. Drain the AF, before relaunch, and reuse it

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dan, I live real close to "Canuck Country" in Northeast Washington state and fish the larger lakes in the area almost all year. We get sub zero temps often and even the big lakes ice up in Dec. Jan. Once you've done it a few times, it's a ten minute job to drain. I bring the tools with... screw driver for pulling hoses and a wrench to pull the block drains. After pulling the boat out lower the drive to let it drain. Even with 4 wheel drive I take a bunch of sand and a shovel. The other die hard fishermen will have the ramp iced up.
Practice draining your boat a few times and go boating this winter. It's a blast and no crowds. Best of luck and enjoy!!!!