Got my first tattoo last night

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
At the age of 46, I got my first tattoo. Figured by the time I lived to regret it, I'll be dead.

Rush fans will immediately recognize their "starman" logo. This logo, and the first half of the 2112 album was inspired by Ayn Rand's classic novel Anthem. It is about a world in which the state, represented by the red star (which in itself is a symbol of the police/military power of the state), controls every aspect of human activity...what books one may read, to what music one may listen, the job one performs as a vocation, where one lives, even what one thinks. The entire concept of individuality is outlawed and expunged from society--although not totally. Personal pronouns are not used. Everyone refers to themselves as "we," even in their thoughts. All live, work, and breath for the benefit of the collective. Dissidents are eliminated. Education's only purpose it to brainwash the collective and reinforce the goals of the state.

The logo represents the individual's struggle against collectivism/statism.

Eh...seemed appropriate to the times.

We've taken care of everything
The words you read the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
One for all and all for one
Work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx
Our great computers, fill the hallow halls
We are the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around this world we've made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood on Man
What a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

It really didn't hurt that much, although there were parts of my arm where the needle felt like a razor cutting through my skin with a little electric shock added for good measure.

This one took two hours.

Attachments

• tn_Starman.jpg
    tn_Starman.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Got my first tattoo last night

Me thinks "Mom" would have been much less painful :)

Yo. I thought posting polictical comments werent allowed.......thats what you did and next time lay off of the weed before you get a tat..lol

mscher

Lieutenant

Good to know I'm not the only one in mid-life crisis. ;)

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it is cool. I love Rush. When I was in high school they were all I would listen to for a while there

natemoore

I think it is cool. I love Rush. When I was in high school they were all I would listen to for a while there

Yeah....I was turned on to Rush in the 11th grade back in 1979-1980. Never quit loving 'em. I will state for the record that for as long as I've been a Rush fan, I have never smoked weed.:p

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm 49 and sitting here watching a Led Zeppelin concert from 1976 on MTV, I just commented to the wife " no tattoos, how refreshing" (they may have some, just not not visible). Don't have anything against them, just ain't my thang.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

tattoo's are out with the collage gen today.
they don't want to identify with the older gen.
kids in flagstaff told me that.
the mid life red corvette gave way to wanna be hells angels on harleys.
graybeards blaring "get your motor running" while they scream down the highway at 55 mph.
then again some buy big boats to make up for what they don't have big.
had to laugh my tail off at someone i know in mid life and got a 27' cruiser.
fox lake some young bikini clad girls yelled over "hey mr, is your d*ck as big as your boat".
the look on his face had them in tears laughing.

natemoore

The music group.
Now its time to buy a Corvette. Am I the only one who doesn't understnad the need for getting a tat!

The wife got a very beautiful tattoo that same night. What kind of car will she trade her minivan in on?:D

I'd never drive a Corvette because I wouldn't want people to think I had inadequacy issues.;)

dolluper

Captain

Somethings in Canada are great eh!.. I taught you would've blamed it on on a women not old age just kidding youngster

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Nice tat, I got mine when I was 18 (44 now).
I have the top half of a topless woman holding her.....well you know.
It was supposed to be a mermaid but couldn't afford the whole thing at the time.
I have been thinking about getting it touched up and finished soon.

skargo

Banned

The wife got a very beautiful tattoo that same night. What kind of car will she trade her minivan in on?:D

I'd never drive a Corvette because I wouldn't want people to think I had inadequacy issues.;)

Nice tat but come on with that vette prejudice. My FIL died in 93' and I still have his 63 vette, seems most who bash vettes are jealous :p

My wife never liked Rush until I took her to see them and we sat front row center. Now she's a fan!

P1010049.JPG

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah....I was turned on to Rush in the 11th grade back in 1979-1980. Never quit loving 'em. I will state for the record that for as long as I've been a Rush fan, I have never smoked weed.:p

I have always enjoyed Rush but I think my all time favorite is the McKenzie Brothers featuring Getty Lee of Rush in "Take Off"

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hey Nate, mine's a little less elaborate! I got it 3 years ago when I "was" 51. A simple tribal phoenix. I thought about it for about 5 years and decided now or never, and never regretted it. My wife likes it, I like it, that's all I care about. All it means is I'm a survivor of the curves life's thrown me.

Oh, and I love Rush. (the band, the band!!!:))

w-tat-1911.jpg

I'm working on my mid-life crisis project now!

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WOW!

I thought you meant Rush Limbaugh.

HappierWet

GEEZ....And I'm sitting here thinking TOM SAWYER. Nice Tat, and now I see how to fly political stuff under the radar.

BTW, I AGREE