VHF Radios

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
I know the topic has been very well covered. And before you ask, yes I did search, I found tons of valuable info (as always) but not answers to my specific questions. So here we go...

For next season, I want to have a marine radio on board my boat. My uses will be mainly on rivers, talking to other boaters and locks. Maybe some boating on lake Erie, but unless I buy a larger boat, which I won't be for a while, I'll never be far off shore. And by far, I mean, I like to be able to see shore. Within 1/2mile. In other words, it is FAR more likely that I will use the radio for convenience than emergency. And even if it was an emergency, I'll alsways be either close to others or in cell phone range.

Unless someone gives me a real good reason to choose otherwise, I'm thinking a hand held radio will work for me. My specific question has more to do with differences between models of hand helds. Like anything else there is a wide price range. What are you getting for the money? For instance, one site sells a Cobra VHF 2 pack. You get 2 radios, presumably so you can also use them as walkie-talkies for $50. Same site has an Icom hand held for $265 for one. Near as I can tell, the specs are the same except for the Icom is 5w and the Cobras are 2w. Am I paying $210 for an extra 3w? Is 3w worth that kind of cheddar? For $99 I can get another brand that transmits in 5w. So, is wattage the main difference? Should I just buy the cheapest radio that can transmit 5w? Or for my usage can I just get the cheapest radio no matter the wattage?

Don't get me wrong, price isn't the main concern. I'll spend what I have to. But I don't want to pay extra for a name or status. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my marine radio brand. So what's the straight dope?

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: VHF Radios

I have had both, I like the the low end vhf/dsc class d radio mounted on board, the handhelds dont hold up battery wise, just a hassle to charge, carry, volume.
the vhf dsc/d will when connected to your gps and registered will id you ,your location and send a mayday to all boaters and coast guard / or marine pd until answered. it has a number that can be dialed like a telephone number or you can call others with similar units. and they are cheap, can be had close to 100 or so, . no vhf can be used ship to shore. legally , want to chit chat get frs, or use your cell phone.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

and they are cheap, can be had close to 100 or so, .

I agree, you get way more for your money when you go with a fixed mount VHF. I understand your reasons for wanting a hand held, but your not going to get near the radio for the same money. Going with a fixed mount will actually save you money.

A couple years ago I convinced myself that a hand held better suited my needs. I also boat on lakes that keep me near to shore. I ended up purchasing the cheap Cobra 2 pack you referenced. They work OK, but they are never charged. Now I have a fixed mount VHF and I love it. I got my fixed mount VHF out of the Bargain Cave at Cabela's for $30. My fixed mount is powered by the boats electrical system, and is connected to my GPS. My hand held is now a back up, but it is a lousy back up because it is never charged.

I think a lot of people go with a hand held because they don't want to worry about installing a fixed mount VHF. Don't be afraid to spend a couple hours on the installation. You won't regret it.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm getting a fixed mount for next year too, $30 in a bargain cave sounds like a steal. :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Thirty sounds like a steal indeed.When I bought mine 5 years ago the cost was well over $500. It has always worked well for me.I do go over the horizon and it helps me feel safe.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Now days I would think your cell phone would be more valuable than a hand held VHF. When I was fishing off the coast of Stuart Fl in a small boat my fixed radio was like a long extension cord for help if I needed it. Knowing all the captain's in the charter fleet and making sure I was within a a mile or two of one of them during the day was a comforting thought and I never fished past lines in time unless it was at the mouth of the inlet. I did have a portable for a short period but it just didn't stand up to the rigors of heavy usage. Wattage + height of antenna = good communications, and give me a fixed mount anytime.

Hope that helps

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A good radio is the Eagle EVR-150. Picked mine up new for $80. Has DSC, weather bands, scan, external speaker hookup. Great little radio for an inexpensive cost.

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wont repeat what was already said here as I do agree with them. The fixed mounts will transmit with 25 watts and that means a lot further. My suggestion would be a bottom of the line Icom and a good antenna. Put more thought into a good antenna then the radio. The best radio is no good if it can't get the signal out. Just for reference purposes, I have the Icom 422 with a 8' Shakspere 5102 antenna. On my first outting after installing it, I did a radio check, man was I suprised to learn that I was talking to a cargo ship at 65 mile away, with vertually no static. Talk about a comfort feeling when heading offshore or out into the bay.

As far as a hand held, well if I were at the beach and the kids want to walk around and call me at the boat, that would be a good use for one of them.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

the cheap 30 dollar radio is probably discontinue and obsolete, and restricted to sales of stock on hand, all radios that are not dsc are no longer allowed to be manufactured.

Nope, my $30 radio is a Uniden Solara DSC. The radio was originally discounted to $60, but on the day I bought it all marine equipment in the Bargain Cave was an additional 50% off. This radio has all the latest technology. It was a dusty open box buy that was missing the manual and all the mounting hardware. I was able to find replacement mounting hardware for 5$ at a local ham radio store, and a .pdf of the manual can be found on Uniden's website. I have since added a quality Digital 529VB antenna, and connected my Garmin GPS to it. Although I practically stole the radio, the antenna price was 4 times the cost of the VHF.

You can't normally count on finding a radio for $30 (I got lucky), but most of the manufactures do make a decent radio at the $99 price point. Right now the Cabela's website has my Undiden Solara for $89.99, and both Standard Horizon, and Cobra radios for $99. I also noticed that Cabela's has an Eagle fixed mount that transmits at 7 watts for $49.99. I would rather have a 25 watt radio, but this might be a good deal for a near shore boater on budget. A 7 watt fixed mount would be a substantial upgrade over just about any hand held. Just make sure that Eagle radio gets a good antenna that is mounted as high as possible.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have the Icom 422 with a 8' Shakspere 5102 antenna. On my first outting after installing it, I did a radio check, man was I suprised to learn that I was talking to a cargo ship at 65 mile away, with vertually no static. Talk about a comfort feeling when heading offshore or out into the bay.

Don't get too comfortable. What happened to you that day was an abnormality. VHF is line of sight. On a good day you should expect maybe.... 10-15 miles.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Dingbat is right about that, there were times when the atmospheric conditions were perfect we could talk to local boats that had traveled to Walkers Cay in the Bahama's like they right inside the inlet at Stuart Fl.

Good luck whatever you decide

wajajaja02

its refered to as skip, cb does it often too, can talk all over the country, the signal is reflecting off the cloud cover

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I'll re-consider a hard mount radio based on all the recommendations in this thread. I had ruled them out because I'm mostly a river boater and don't have a lot of open room on my 19' bow rider to mount one. But I suppose I could get creative and find a spot.

I wasn't going with a hand held for price primarily. I really just liked the idea of being able to leave it in the glove compartment until I needed it. But you all make a very strong argument for a built in unit. I'll keep on the lookout for a good deal since I now have all winter to worry about it. Thanks for the advice all.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Great move, whether you are disabled in a river floating towards the falls::eek: or 5-10 miles offshore, it's nice to know you can call for help. :)

And I don't put faces in normally.

wajajaja02

it does nt have to be mounted horizontal, it can be mounted vertical even out of reach, most have remote control via the microphone.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 89 Capri Bowrider with the radio mounted on the shelf under the console. Controls on the mike make it easy to use, though it is mounted to make easy reach to power on/off and punch the distress button (DSC) if needed.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so after all this great advice, I'd be a crazy person to not get a hard mounted radio. So I will. Let me ask this potentially silly question, but one that could save me money and effort. I know this is a long shot, but I'm just going to ask anyhow. So I need a radio and antenna. Ok, well when I got my boat, it had this ancient King Loran thing on it. I've since learned that it's all but useless to me. But, I already have this nice big antenna mounted on the bow for the Loran. It's plenty long and folds up. And has wired running to the dash. Is there any chance in the world the Loran Antenna will work for a VHF radio?

jhebert

Ensign

There is no chance an antenna configured as a receive-only antenna for LORAN signals at a frequency of 0.1-MHz will be effective as a transmit and receive antenna for a radio operating in the 156 to 158-MHz band.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I figured as much. What part of the antenna configures it? Would there be a way to modify it to work?