Johnson 9.5 9R-73B Throttle/shift question

smallblock

Seaman
Hello,

I have 9.5 Johnson, runs great but I am having a hard time finding that correct rpm to shift. It will not shift unless in shift position on the tiller handle. The problem is the handle doesn't match up to the handle settings so its a crap shoot every time I need to shift. Also could use some advise on the idle adjustment dial on the side of the handle and should I have to choke this motor on every start? It wont start unless i do but then runs mint after that. Any advise, insight, or anything would be helpful. This motor is new to me, it does run great it just sucks to find that shift rpm.
Thanks for any replies in advance.....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 9.5 9R-73B Throttle/shift question

You should use the choke for fuel enrichment for cold starts, but open the throttle as far as you can when starting, then back off as the engine warms up. The neutral locking pin on the detent screw will prevent you from opening it too far.

Turn the dial at the base of the tiller handle counter-clockwise to decrease the idle RPM.

Rick.

Captain

Mine doesn't have the markings anymore but I just throttle down all the way and then shift. If you shift with the rpm too high it can cause gear problems. Best of luck. Rick.

smallblock

Seaman

Thanks for the speedy reply. It will only go into gear at the perfect rpm. It wont shift if its to high or if its to low. It has to be right on for some reason and that spot is hard to find sometimes. Was just wondering if this was normal for this model. All my other Johnsons will shift at lower rpms. Is there any way to adjust shift lever so its more prompt? Could this be a bigger problem than I think? As far as cold start is concerned, is an hour in between starts considered a cold start. Seems my other ones after the initial cold start of the day don't need to be choked again to move the boat an hour later. Thanks and I really appreciated all the advise....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No, that is not normal. Normally you can shift into gear from neutral with a quick snapping movement of the shift lever. The motor should be idling out of gear at less than 850 RPM when shifting. Shifting from forward to reverse quickly is not a good practice.

Replacing worn gears and clutch dogs on the 9.5 motors is fairly easy.

smallblock

Seaman

I think I figured it out. I pulled the prop off because it seemed to spin freely in neutral,forward and reverse. When i pulled it off I had a handfull of b-b's. On the shaft there is a sheer pin(i think thats what its called) that holds the prop in place. It only had a tiny piece of metal left for the prop to catch on, Id guess about an eight . Its amazing that I didnt get stranded out on the water yesterday. So what I am guessing is that it was going into gear but not catching the prop properly to spin it. What is the best material to use for this pin or should I order it? Thank you Ezeke for the help , I hope this will cure my problems....

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Order it. It is actually a Drive pin, not a shear pin. However, it is designed to fail before damaging the prop shaft if you hit something with more force than the prop failing can prevent. i.e. hub will spin/slip first. Next pin will shear.

Rick.

Captain

Look at the base of your shift lever and make certain it is nice and tight to the shift rod. Rick.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's best to order the drive pin so that you have the correct hardness and stainless steel. Part # 0307949.

The drive pins are easily broken if the propeller is not mounted tightly. If necessary, add additional bushings behind the propeller nut.

Attachments

• SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0

smallblock

Seaman

Thanks so much for the help guys. I will order it today, along with a few other items for this outboard. I plan on using this as my primary outboard so I want to do things correctly so I can enjoy my time on the water instead of working on it out there.....
Thanks again for the help

smallblock

Seaman

I cant seem to find any parts on this site. Any other recommendation for ordering the drive pin from, also wanted to get a carb rebuild kit for this too. Thanks.....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you order the 9.5HP carburetor kit, water pump kit and the drive pin, get them from a BRP authorized dealer.

The complete water pump kit and carburetor kits are not available aftermarket and the aftermarket drive pins are not consistent.

The complete waterpump kit is # 0382296.

The complete carburetor kit is # 0382048.

Find the closest dealers by entering the third choice and your area code here: http://dealerlocator.evinrude.com/EN/?Rnd=1172157085156

You can order through BRP/Evinrude here: http://shop.evinrude.com/