Ford 302 Glastron? + motor pics. Can anybody ID?

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lords of the Sea: Help me out + motor pics

Here is the link to my motor pics. Hope this helps to ID it. Could not get them to post here, file too big. I figured as much for the fuel pump. Looks like an easy fix. Can you pop a freeze plug and not crack the block? http://photobucket.com/boatpics302

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice

Does mechanical fuel pump have to be marine grade or for any 302 block? Does it matter?

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lords of the Sea: Ford 302 Glastron? + motor pics

Re: Lords of the Sea: Ford 302 Glastron? + motor pics

That looks like a 302 --- Glastron Red paint does not hold up as well as Mercruiser Black :p

If it pumps fuel it is okay -- electric or mechanical ---- the new pumps are all sealed usually --- just look at it for holes which may allow fuel to leak to the outside --- if no holes it will leak fuel into the oil if it goes bad.

Check the fuel level in that Holly ---- little screw on the side of the fuel bowl --- should dribble out or be close ---- you have accelerator pump from your posts so I would check all filters and get back to us.

Unusual exhaust --- meaning I have never seen that configuration --- I will study those. :rolleyes:

OFM

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Ford 302 Glastron? + motor pics. Can anybody ID?

Can anybody ID the motor in the pics I posted on the link? I was told it was a Glastron marinized ford.

haulnazz15

Captain

Can anybody ID the motor in the pics I posted on the link? I was told it was a Glastron marinized ford.

It looks like a 302, it's definitely a Ford, the distributor location tells that. Homwever, I have a 351, and my manifolds are a lot different than those. They don't have risers on them which is a bit odd. The fuel hose is also a bit strange to use as replacement for the coolant hose, but whatever. I don't know anything about the Volvo outdrives. You can put thru-hull exhaust on it if you want, but I'd just leave it going through the y-pipe.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a small block ford --- re-route those plug wires --- tie down the battery --- tie up the battery cables to stringer, etc. --- that fuel hose is way too close to the water pump pulley --- all this stuff needs to be done first.

If the fuel pump is not tied to the ignition switch --- tie it in with a fuse, so you can shut it down with the ignition switch.

Safety first --- use marine grade parts --- or it could be your last boat ride :rolleyes:

Have Fun

OFM

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice

What do I reference to to get parts for it? Just a ford 302? It's not a merc. Is it a volvo or a marinized glastron?

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine is just ford --- the engine water pump should be marine --- made better and lasts longer ---- the raw water pump you will just have to match --- marine mechanics will help when you need a part.

Tie up all fuel lines and use Marine grade hoses --- secure everything you think may rub, get cut, come loose, or just vibrate.

Things come loose and break at the worst of times --- It is hard holding on with one hand and trying fix something with the other and the part will not stay still :D

Good Luck

OFM

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you keep the electric fuel pump, it needs to be inline with an oil pressure switch so the pump doesn't run with the engine stopped. In addition, you need to put in a wire to the starter solenoid to allow it to pump while cranking.

All in all, you are better to put on a mechanical marine fuel pump. A marine fuel pump has a dual diaphragm and a clear hose that gets routed to the carb to allow you to see when the diaphragm has burst. You have to have that type of pump. Disregard other post...it has to be a marine pump with the hose I mentioned.

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice

The electric fuel pump runs when you just turn the key on. Not good I assume! So I just need to get a mechanical fuel pump for a ford 302 that's marine grade only, right?

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

First do what you can and get it running. Find out all that is good and bad with it --- > then decide whether you want to put money into it to fix it. :rolleyes:

Maybe find out what you can and start a new post for that specific problem. :)

OFM

haulnazz15

Captain

The mechanical fuel pump would take all of 15 minutes to install, so it may be worth your time. I would trust that more than trusting all of the wiring to trigger the electric pump with oil psi and starter solonoids. It looks like it's just a normal Volvo with a 302. The 302/351's were used by a lot of boat manufacturers in the early to late 70's, so pairing it with a Volvo outdrive is probably rare, but not out of the question.

You can see if there are any Volvo service manuals that include the 302, otherwise find a seloc for the same period Mercruiser and use it for the engine only. (I know these exist because I have one, and it contains all of the information you'd ever need to rebuild a 302/351, much less fix a fuel problem). Personally, from the wiring and odd hose routing I'd say someone added the electric pump afterwards for some insane reason.

coorslitedude

Seaman Apprentice

It is not a mercruiser motor. It has a volvo 270 drive on it. The electric pump was added on because the old mechanical pump is still on the motor. So I just have to figure out how the fuel lines were hooked up originally with the mechanical pump. This guy really went cheap when he kept this boat running. The fuel pump, the trim motor, the seawater pump he bypassed with an electric pump of some kind and didn't tell me the original pump was bad. He just took off the electric one and hooked up the bad one before I got it. Then I find the popped freeze plug. Good thing I didn't blow the motor! This guy is a real ***! He could have been straight up front, I mean I got it for next to nothing anyway! Oh well, live and learn.:mad:

haulnazz15

Captain

It's not a Volvo engine either, it's a Volvo outdrive. Getting the engine running has nothing to do with Merc or Volvo. It's a plain old Ford 302. He likely bought an electric fuel unit when the mechanical one went out. Just buy a new one for piece of mind (i think it's only two or 3 bolts). The original fuel line was likely a solid steel line from the pump to the crab with bends to accomodate the hoses and accessories. While that is preferrable, a good piece of new fuel line with a fire-retardent sheath would likely suffice.

The green striped cooling hose is going to the correct location (engine water pump) but it doesn't need to be nearly that long. It should just make a "u" and run inside the alternator, not outside of it.

The plug wires should be running under the manifolds not over them.

On the bright side it looks like you have a power-steering pump? (may be a Volvo thing).

I have attached a link to a picture of my 351W. The fuel line routing should be similar as well as the coolant lines (sorry for the rust, it's all better now!) The plug wires are visible, too.

DSC00241.jpg

zbnutcase

Commander

Yup that is a Glastron Ford 302. I just worked on one about a month or so ago, although that one was a 2BBL carb. 'nutcase

a70eliminator

Captain

I don't think that is a marine carburetor, the marine version holley carbs do not have externally adjustable floats, and a cast iron factory Ford 302 4bbl intake is very rare being they were only produced for one year 1968, I would venture to say there is a 2 to 4 adapter plate under that carb.
Overall it looks like a fumbled up re-power job, do a compression test first thing, it may be a good little motor, then start getting rid of the jury rigs.