77 Evenrude 35hp starting issues

pulcher61

Recruit
I have a 77 evenrude 35hp starts hard but once it does I can run all over the lake no problems. The issues happens when I want to stop and fish. Once turned off it doesn't restart for 2-3 hrs.
I have replaced both plugs,coils,powerpac. It has a new waterpump and I have great water flow. after it rests for those few hours she starts up again and will do the same thing.

Ideas?

Plankton58

Cadet
Re: 77 Evenrude 35hp starting issues

Welcome to the club!

Im having the same exact problem with my 1981 35hp johnson. it starts and once in gear will never die. However when we stop and fish she dies for hours. Im not sure what to do, if you figure it out let me know haha. We also replaced nearly the entire ignition system so i have a feeling it is something other than that.

Hang in there, I feel your frustration and GOODLUCK

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Just some thoughts. Do you loose spark? It only takes compression, spark and fuel to make the engine run. Your compreesion is probably ok since it runs ok when it will start. When it will not start, check spark, if spark is ok it sounds like it could be fuel. When it will not start and spark is ok, spray some deep creep into carb and see if it fires. If it does you have a fuel problem.

Plankton58

Cadet

I dont lose spark as far as i know. The plugs pop out when i test them. It must be a fuel issue because we had the compression checked. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for your help

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

since the engine runs fine u can install a fuel primer there used on jetski's and boat's its just a small "choke" lever u pull it out and it squirts a small amount of fuel into the carby throat and your engine will fire up strait away

Plankton58

Cadet

We have a choke on the engine and also a choke on the key ignition. Is tge choke your speaking of something different?