19' dory loading problems

alinbend

Cadet
I have restored a 19' dory which is performing wonderfully. However, I am having a devil of a time loading it on the trailer. The trailer has 10' bunks at the rear and keel rollers. The problem is that as I try to load it, either by driving it on or winching it, the flat hull at the stern shifts off center causing the deep vee bow to go out of line and scrape on the axles of the forward keel rollers. I have the feeling that there are some basics of loading a boat on a trailer that I am unaware of.

I installed a 12" centering keel roller at the rear of the trailer and put side bunks about four feet from the rear, but this is not helping. The original keel rollers on the trailer are on axles running through welded tabs. The are too low to accept side bells. I can shield the hull and cut them off with a torch, but I am not sure that is the answer. My beautiful new glass and epoxy over plywood hull is getting all gouged up.

Too deep, too shallow, trailer not configured or adjusted correctly??? I have tinkered with this problem a lot, but I am at a loss. I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 19' dory loading problems

Sounds like this trailer and boat are not a matched pair, right? Loading should really not be causing you this much grief. Although pics would really help, I think I get the gist.

My recommendation would be to tackle it in the following stages.

1. Assuming you've got no adjustability in the front rollers, and the bunks are aligned correctly, remove the rollers and mounting hardware to get them out of the way.

2. Load the boat using bunks only and take a close look at where the keel wants to rest (assuming you have it straight on the bunks).

3. Now, if your boat still wants to sit at an angle once fully on the trailer turn your attention to the bunks, there must be something amiss there, (assuming your hull is fair!).

[[I once had a trailer delivered with the bunks on one side installed front to back. The boat would never load straight becuase the back brackets (which were now on the front) were holding the bunk too high on one side. Took a while and some cursing to realize that...]]

If things are ok, figure out a way to install rollers at suitable points under the keel once you can see the boat sitting properly on the trailer. Take careful note of the size of the gap so you can install at just the right height to help take some weight but making sure they don't keep the boat from resting on the bunks.

4. Or, consider leaving the keel unsupported. WARNING - I know nothing about wooden boat trailering so I don't know if this is a good idea. The keel on my Scout is not resting on anything but my bunks are well sized and positioned to bear the weight of the fibreglass hull.

You can see in this pic that there is nothing under the keel of the boat. Bunks and bowstop at the front are the sum total of weight support.

enginerigging2.jpg

5. Changed my mind. Send pics of it loaded incorrectly, and after you've cut the rollers off. We might be able to offer more help.

Good luck! I know loading issues are not fun. Had a few in the past.

alinbend

Cadet

First let me thank you for taking the time to help me with such detailed suggestions. It is really helpful and I appreciate it. The picture was helpful as well. I am setting out my plan of action based on your suggestions in the hope that you will let me know if you see anything out of whack.

I think you are correct about the boat and trailer not being a matched set. The boat is a 1960 Heurth River Dory and I doubt this is the original trailer. I can't send a pic of the boat loaded incorrectly because up to this point I have waded out up to my ... waist and horsed it over to center it while a buddy cranked the winch. As winter approaches this will become and even less desirable option.

None of the original keel rollers bear any weight once the boat is fully to the bow stop and on the bunks. So I think the bunks will bear the weight of the boat without damaging the hull. I am going to cut the old roller brackets off as you suggest.

I have already purchased a couple more 12" centering rollers and brackets so I will install them on the forward two trailer cross braces in the hope that they will help to center the boat while loading even though I probably don't need them to support the keel. When I install new rollers I am able to loosely bolt the bracket on and then apply slight pressure with a jack so that the roller is tight against the keel and bearing some of the weight but not lifting the hull off the bunks. I think the roller I put on the back of the trailer is out of play while loading so maybe these will be forward enough to engage and center the keel while loading.

I think the side bunks are also mostly out of play while loading due to being too far back. I am going to move them forward one rib on the trailer.

I could take all the rollers and brackets off, but unlike the hull on your boat, my hull is so flat at the stern that without something holding the keel in place the least wind or current will take it substantially off center while loading. My bunks have a slight angle forward as the hull starts to drop to a vee but it is not enough to center the boat. The keel on my boat is about 2" proud of the hull at the stern and about an inch and a half wide so the rollers should engage it well if I can get them in the right spot.

I also plan to go deeper with the trailer the next time I try to load.

Thanks again. If this doesn't work I will come back with a picture. As before, any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Al

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Obviously you'll need to get the bunks adjusted correctly, but a set of guide ons will save you much headache as well.

Ian

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

My pleasure, alinbend -- there are a lot of folks on here who have helped me out with some good suggestions so I'm happy to give some back if I can.

Re-reading your original post I should have picked up on the word "dory" which would have clued me into just how flat the bottom of your hull might be. That, as you note, can make loading straight a challenge even with a well-sorted system. As Fishy suggests, those vertical guide-on posts you see at the rear of some trailers might be just the ticket once you get the roller issue sorted.

I should also note my bowstop is probably not carrying any real weight since I just use it as a guide to tell me when to stop cranking when the bow hits it. Everything is balanced on the bunks. But in my case it's a dealer-setup that was sold with the boat.

Good luck with it.

On a completely other tack, so to speak, let's see some pics of your restoration. Sounds great!

alinbend

Cadet

Thanks for your interest. I had a heck of a time resizing the foto I took on completion of my restoration project to fit the forum upload parameters.

The attachment is a little fuzzy but I think you can still see that I originally installed home made guide-ons to the trailer. However they were not correctly placed and I subsequently removed them. (I confess I inadvertantly removed the first one while trying a little higher loading speed in order to beat the side drift. Bad idea!) Once I make the other modifications I will either make or buy some new guide-ons that can be correctly placed. I am very hopeful that the planed modifications will do the trick.

I will tackle them as soon as I return from archery elk hunting on the Oregon coast.

Thanks again to you both.
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1100_email.jpg
    IMG_1100_email.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the photo. Great looking boat -- I really like those lines.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I might would suggest a second set of bunks places under the bow of the boat, close together in the appropriate angle to fit the bow snug and guide it into place as the boat comes onto the trailer. Additionally, as already suggested, a set of uprights at the rear of the trailer to keep the stern centered woudl ease in the loading process as well.

I see alot of boats trailers with bow bunks as I am talking about and I never see a boat sitting croocked on a trailer like that. It cradles the entire bottom of the boat well....