Big twin generator pics?

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for a pic of how the stock generator mounts up to an Evinrude big twin. Just trying to figure out where it may have gone on my 1960 40hp.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Big twin generator pics?

Don't have a pic, but it went on the front port side of the motor, on the opposite side of the carb from the starter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't have a pic, but it went on the front port side of the motor, on the opposite side of the carb from the starter.

They did not have generators from the factory. The generator kit was an accessory. So, if it never had the kit there will be no sign of it now. But the wires will be there.

lindy46

Captain

They did not have generators from the factory. The generator kit was an accessory. So, if it never had the kit there will be no sign of it now. But the wires will be there.

And it should have the flywheel with the sprocket for the generator belt.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

And it should have the flywheel with the sprocket for the generator belt.

"Should have". Most of them have fallen off. At least the zinc ones have.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

I'm looking to retro-fit a system onto my non-generator engine, and just wondering where it went and how much room it had. Anyone know where I may be able to source a flywheel with the belt groove?

lindy46

Captain

I'm looking to retro-fit a system onto my non-generator engine, and just wondering where it went and how much room it had. Anyone know where I may be able to source a flywheel with the belt groove?

I may have one - send me a PM.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You realize that in addition to everything that has been mentioned so far you need a $100 voltage regulator? And an extra-deep cover for the junction box to house the regulator? Plus other parts?

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

If I go with the stock Generator setup I would.......... :D I'm working on something else, just need to figure out some space issues under the cover.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may look like this

5735005.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have a manual shift g/c you really don't need a generator for the cost. Just keep your battery charged or get a solar panal battery charger.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Geez Zephyr, hope nobody got hurt when they fell off. Wonder what rpm they were going when they "fell off" ???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

As I recall, those old Big Twins spun at 4200 rpms at WOT :D:D

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you need a flywheel or bracket pm me, I have a few of these around.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The latest covert operation here is setting up and getting ready for the power upgrade and electronics of the Ski-Twin for Miss Peachtree. Realizing the Ski-Twin uses a generator to charge the battery, here's my trick to get around the old Bolens starter generator never charging the battery.

Use a two wire solid state automotive voltage regulator, free '70's stuff I use, Dodge stuff cuz there's many of these lying around here. I retain the mechanical Bolens rectifier, which has Delco Remy stamped on the cover. All my hobby Bolens machines always charge the battery unconditionally.

Thinking these components could be implemented on old outboards electrical scheme's.
Old voltage regulator application cheap and simple...IMAG0043.jpg
These machines always crank over, Orange tractor rolls top end at 35 m.p.h.IMAG0082.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The trouble is the amperage.

Harley Davidson makes a suitable replacement. I could look up the part number for you.

What application do you have in mind?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is a link to an article I started that shows how this was on an old motor of mine http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson_35-40.htm

As for the regulator, I went to a old farm tractor shop & they took the output off the generator & converted to a transistorized unit. I am heading out going fishing for a month in an hour, but will be back home occasionally. If you need the data off it, shoot me a Private Message

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been thinking of a very small alternator fabricated get up for the Ski Twin. A "power bulge" would most likely have to be laminated on the glass hood. I still think it's best to go stock generator . Keep your mechanical vintage rectifiers and regulate voltage solid state. Cheap and easy.