Water in all the wrong places

kippsters

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1983 3.5 HP with a sailboat. It appears to be in very good shape and was stored indoors, but had not run in 9 years. After fitting it with an external tank, it started and ran. After a minute or two it would run out of gas unless the bulb was squeezed again.
After it warmed up, I noticed water dripping out from around the spark plug. I have no idea if the two are related, and have been unable to find a diagram to see if water flows around the cylinder cover or not, or where else the water could be coming in. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water in all the wrong places

on the back of the motor where the plugs are - is a water jacket cover - there is a gasket under that cover that tends to leak after some time - the water will even get sucked in thru the plug holes into the cylinders - be for warned the cover bolts will likely snap but otherwise its a basic job - another possibility is the cover itself may be warped - the primer bulb is another issue - could be the primer bulb itself and or the fuel pump - ther is a check valve in the bulb that is suppose to prevent the fuel from flowing back into the tank

kippsters

Recruit

Thanks, I pulled that cover of and the gasket was in pieces, new one on the way. I am on my second primer bulb, if I set up a funnel with gas higher than the carb and attached it to the fuel line could that help determine if it was carb or something lower?

j_martin

Admiral

V6 guy here. Someone tell this gentleman where the fuel pump is so he can get a kit for that and install it.

I don't know if it's separate or if it's in the carb.

hope it helps
John

kippsters

Recruit

Yes, please someone tell me if there is a fuel pump. I have located no such thing on the engine, and no such part I can see on the carb. Any advise welcome:)

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

carb and fuel pump are 1 part just like the 25 hp models -