Recoil Starter-again

UNjim

Cadet
I've seen it both ways. Do I need to tie off the starter rope short before I take the recoil starter unit off? This is on a '56 Johnson 30hp with electric start. THANKS for any help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recoil Starter-again

If you're removing the manual starter unit from the engine, why would you want or need to tie off the starter cord? I'd need a better explanation of what you're asking.

UNjim

Cadet

I want to get at the coils and I think I've read to pull out the starter rope and tie it so that the rope does not recoil back in all the way. This is first step before taking the recoil unit off. Others don't even mention this step but just say to take off the recoil starter unit. Do I need to pull the rope out and tie it to hold it from going back in before I do anything else. I hope this is a little clearer. THANKS

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're removing the manual starter's pull handle, then yes, you would need to do something to prevent the starter cord from being retracted back into the manual starter. If the handle is not being removed, there is no way that the handle can be pulled back into it.