Tune-up parts marine specific?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
or can I just go to the parts store and get the wires, cap, rotor, points, and condenser?

TurboK9

Cadet
Re: Tune-up parts marine specific?

To be legal, many parts need to be marine rated. Not sure about the internals, but the cap needs to seal so there is no sparking outside the assembly / no fumes can enter the assembly (plus you obviously don't want water in there). If something goes wrong due to using automotive parts your insurance company might not cover it.

I'm always out to save a buck, but if your boat blows up you won't be saving any money, what with the skin grafts and all... :eek:

ron7000

Banned

hi,
been awhile.
let me start off by saying, this board still sucks.

To be legal, many parts need to be marine rated.

everybody still on the fear bandwagon I see.
You say this, do you know what parts?
By saying many parts, you might as well just say all parts.
Next time you need a bolt and nut, do you need to go to West Marine and buy their "marine-rated" hardware to cover yourself legally? What if that bolt or nut loosens? You're at fault you know! Maybe you just better not go out on the water in the first place, in fact don't even get in your car or leave the house.

They have nice heavy wire sets for around 39 bucks too...Cheaper than an auto parts store and marine rated.

okay, i went to that link. Nowhere does it say "marine rated" for those $39 wires. Nor does it say marine-rated for any of those parts on that page.
The only rating that junk should have is "rated" to fit a certain model engine because of the length of the wires and the angle of the boots.

You iboat weenies just love stuff to be rated, and meet specification, and be compliant, and legal.

What is the definition of "marine rated" anyway ?

is there a legal definition of "marine rated" ?

TurboK9

Cadet

hi,
been awhile.

Yeah a lot of know-it-all assjacks around here who throw safety to the wind and like to puff out their chests when they don't get answers like "Yeah sure save a few bucks and who cares if you put yourself and everyone that might go out on your boat at risk."

Next time you need a bolt and nut, do you need to go to West Marine and buy their "marine-rated" hardware to cover yourself legally? What if that bolt or nut loosens? You're at fault you know! Maybe you just better not go out on the water in the first place, in fact don't even get in your car or leave the house.

The parts concerned are covered by Coast Guard regs. Maybe you shouldn't be out on the water if you know so little about boats.

You iboat weenies just love stuff to be rated, and meet specification, and be compliant, and legal.

And what are you? Just a weenie? Again, any parts that the Coast Guard requires a rating for, are rated for a reason. Do us all a favor, use car parts in your I/O and with any luck you'll blow yourself up. Another troll we won't have to worry about.

And might I add, "yay for ignore lists!" Best way to eliminate the random assjacks from my online experience. :D

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

hi,
been awhile.

okay, i went to that link. Nowhere does it say "marine rated" for those $39 wires. Nor does it say marine-rated for any of those parts on that page.
The only rating that junk should have is "rated" to fit a certain model engine because of the length of the wires and the angle of the boots.

Wow.....All I can say is WOW!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Umm...thanks....I think ;)

:)

Back to your question - the marine version of the cap may have more corrosion resistant screws, etc - but there isn't a real safety factor. The points and condenser are the same. It is the actual distributor body that will be different.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Cap needs to have some sort of spark protection on it to be marine rated... and thats all you need to be marine rated. A rotor, points, plugs and plug wires can all be bought at an auto parts store if you want to go that route. You can always go to a Napa and get the correct marine rated cap and everything else automotive to save a few bucks.
The plug wires for an OMC 5.8 may have a different coil lead than an automotive kit for XYZ year 5.8. So you may just want to get the correct kit and save the headache of hunting down 1 plug wire.

Bondo

Staff member

hi,
been awhile.

Ayuh,..... Obviously Not quite Long enough......:rolleyes:

or can I just go to the parts store and get the wires, cap, rotor, points, and condenser?

Sure,... Napa carries the same line of aftermakets parts sold here at iboats...

Depending which igntion system you have,...
There probably isn't any automotive parts that will fit it Anyways....
Chevy,+ Ford never really ran to many OMC or Volvo, or Merc. igntion systems in their Cars...
The plug wires for an OMC 5.8 may have a different coil lead than an automotive kit for XYZ year 5.8. So you may just want to get the correct kit and save the headache of hunting down 1 plug wire.

Ayuh, or you get Straight sparkplug ends,+ you need 90? ends,...
Been there, Done that.... Had a Brand New set on the shelf for another project...:rolleyes:

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anymore for all the hassle of trying to figure out what particular make/model/year car I need to cross reference for whatever part I'm trying to save a buck on, I've decided to just buy the correct marine part that actually fits right. The plug wires are sometimes wierd, the caps are often nothing you'll find on a car, points and condensor probably fit something, but what? I will sometimes get spark plugs at the parts store, but I give them the plug number I want off the engine cover. As for the legality of using a distributor cap from Napa's auto parts line vs marine parts, I don't know. I just know that more often than not, the car stuff doesn't fit right, and my time is worth enough to me that I'll just pay a little more for the right stuff that works as its supposed to without any frustration.

A friend of mine loves to throw out this quote, and he's dead on with it "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". I've tried to go cheap with things in the past, and its burned me enough times that I've quit bothering.

TurboK9

Cadet

"the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

Your friend is wise, and undoubtedly a good judge of whiskey and women as well, yes? :)

I have a limited budget myself, what with heading a family of 4 and an employer who is struggling through the current economy (but at least I'm employed, even with a massive voluntary pay cut). Anyway, I prefer to save my money by doing the labor myself, whenever even remotely possible. Manuals are awesome, and I've developed good relationships with the local marinas so the mechanics will usually give me a quick hand if I need it.

I buy OEM parts whenever I can, but my boats have always been older ones so sometimes I have no choice but to go aftermarket or rebuild parts. Point is, your friend is right...