1966 omc 90hp?

figuring it out

Recruit
the serial# is J0013001, and the model# is DU-13B. from a li'l research, i am told its a 1966 model engine. The engine isnt running, the gearcase is broken at the prop., making it possible to pull the prop/gears out from the case.

with this old of a model engine, is it a better option to replace everything, or is this system possible to get running good again?

the motor is in a Princecraft 16' boat, which i dont know what year it is.. the only thing on the boat for identification, is the Princecraft labels, and a tag that says:

Aluminum boats & canoe Inc.
SE1 CBD 100
Princeville, Que.

any help would be great!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 omc 90hp?

Very, very rare setup . . . Electric shift 480 drive and a 2 stroke V4. Check out this place for some info. I would not expect that anybody here will recommend trying to get that thing going. There are some parts, but they are expensive and hard to find although they can be had.

It is an I/O, so you are in the right section, but the OB guys in the Johnny/Rude forum may be a source for info on the electric shifts as well as the "power head" . . . Good luck, for me I could not see how this would pan out well unless you were trying to win a local classic boat deal or donating to a museum. I am only being halfway sarcastic :)

Bondo

Staff member

with this old of a model engine, is it a better option to replace everything, or is this system possible to get running good again?

Ayuh,... Replacing the Whole driveline would be the Best bet...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I changed the link to a different one.. i noticed the large difference from the original link...

still don't think it will work - not sure - looks like a lower from an outboard - shaft and water pump different. but anyone who knew for sure is probably no longer living.
$70 is the gamble. I wouldn't put $70 in it until you hear the motor run like brand new.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Good luck, for me I could not see how this would pan out well unless you were trying to win a local classic boat deal or donating to a museum. I am only being halfway sarcastic
Reposting this as I am not sure you are comprehending . . . I would not try and revive this entire thing unless I was a collector. You do not want to try and keep this running for recreational use. That, and I am being as nice as I can, that might be schtoooopid . . . :) If you simply like really old, oddball stuff, and you don't care what it costs and how reliable it will be, then go for it.

walleyehed

Admiral

Figuring it out,
I have messed with these when My Father was an OMC dealer many, many yrs ago. 2 yrs ago I had spent almost a year trying to find parts just for the lower unit, not as an individual, as a marine service center-I had contacts....to no avail.
These folks are being very honest in their replies...I hate to say that because where there is a will there is a way, but the time and money spent trying to fix this dude back up would far surpass what you would have in a newer rig.

figuring it out

Recruit

well, my intital thought was to get this fixed.. i take the advice quite seriously. I've been asking around about converting the boat to a jet propulsion, but not really getting much from anyone other than ' buy one thats already made '. I dont think doing this would be all hard, but not much for support for this idea.

The reason for this idea, is that the boat really isnt worth much, and to throw an expensive outboard/inboard on it, just doesnt make much sense. My idea, is that i could get 100+ hp jet drive, for ~$1000, and of course the labour. but this is my winter project. So, i got the time for it!

thoughts..?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if you have the time, money, equipment, and engineering knowledge to fabricate your own parts - go for it

$1000 isn't close to what you will spend though, on parts you buy OR make

you may be able to cobble together some "franken" motor/drive system, will it be cool? - yeah, to some

will it be reliable, probably not

if you like working on toys more than enjoying them - do it :)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

thoughts..?

your ideas sound similar to dozens of people that float into these forums, and throw ideas around about what they could jerry rig to get out boating.

Out of the 100 or so I've read about, there have been one, or maybe two that ever came back with a story of how they made it to the lake. and those were probably welder/fabricators or maybe someone with a full machine shop at their disposal and hundreds of hours of free time.

If you are in this position, and this boat was your dad's or something and there's a real history and attachment to it..then go for it

but there's dozens of running boats in your neighbourhood on kijiji or craigslist for a few hundred bucks.

If you want a project, buy a nice runner and fix up the cosmetics....

If you want to go boating under 100HP, get an outboard....

An i/o would be crappy with 90HP
A 100HP jet is fine for a little seadoo or something... not a real boat