I'm so upset.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm so upset.

If you don't know when the impeller was last changed, I'd recommend having the mechanic replace it anyway (not much more cost than just checking on it) since it's a critical item that you probably should change annually anyway. If you're going to keep the boat.
reading this thread I was thinking the same thing. Since you really want to do this anyway, why not just do this and see what happens! Its not like you are shot gunning the problem since it is a maintenance item anyway.

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First think I would do is report this Mechanic to the Better Busness Bural.
or the Hell Angles to teach him a leason !
Second I would stop payment .
Third is get a new mechanic.
You don't take off an intake manifold if its over heating or the cylinder head.
PS
Are you blond !

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that I have cooled down on Mechanics that are giving real machanics a bad rap.
Find a shop that has a hand held temp gun and find out if its just not a bad gauge.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe becuase you have to take the intake off to get the heads off. I dunno!

QC

Supreme Mariner

1st post says the Mechanic took off the "manifold" . . . That's the only mention of manifold I see, but I could've missed it.

VIP-Soto

Seaman Apprentice

My biggest issue is I'm scared to dump anymore money in this boat trying to fix the problem and it not fix the problem.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you sure that the correct riser gaskets are installed? See Mercruiser Service Bulletin 99-10 or have your mechanic review. Particular attention to section 4.​

What you describe is a very common problem when riser gaskets are replaced with the wrong ones, don't ask me how I know ;)

VIP-Soto

Seaman Apprentice

So are you saying that the wrong gasket could cause the issue I'm experiencing? It had rtv gasket sealer I beleive.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The riser gaskets should not be made of RTV. They need to be the correct gasket, and there are a couple different ones depending on the cooling system. Some have no holes, some have two holes, some have 4, it depends on what exactly you're dealing with. Putting a two hole gasket where a four hole one goes will cut flow. Using a no hole where a two hole goes is a real big problem. You get the idea.

The typical ones are made of a graphite sort of material and they're like 1/8" thick.

proxyx

Banned

This problem seems to grow by the minute... haha. Think automotive for a moment. If your engine was overheating what would you do? Panic?

As it was suggested change the mechanic. He may be honest but you need knowledgeable! and experienced!. Your mechanic seems to be overheating faster then your engine. GET SECOND OPINION ! ! ! before you spend money.

700 for tuneup, LOL, what can I say, he took you for a nice ride but that is a part of a learning process. Since none of us has seen the boat... start making friends among local boaters. This is your best ticket to success.
You DO NOT HAVE TO fix the overheating problem tomorrow! Do not allow others to push you. Take your time.
First thing: check water pump (sea water pump - impeller (prop) ~15-20 bucks) and thermostat 5 bucks. Both you can do while sipping coffee. At least you will learn something. Hope your temp gauge is OK and can be trusted, good thing is they don't go bad too often. Do not let them dismantle the engine any further. Put it back together. Btw search the forum for overheating, you'll quickly find out that in most cases it's not the end of the world and you are not the only one. Read some stories and draw conclusions. Learn about boats. That's what you wanted... right?
In 1 hr spent reading you'll learn more then your current mechanic, guaranteed (almost)...

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

VIP-Soto. if you tell people what part of the country you are in, some readers will either suggest a local mechanic or possibly offer to help you themselves. We are a friendly bunch that enjoy doing this stuff. If we didnt we would not be on here...

VIP-Soto

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I really appreciate all your help. The mechanic put the exhaust manifold back together with the right riser gasket which previously had what looked like the original riser gasket plus RTV.

We took it to the boat dock and started her up with the boat still attached to the trailer. He brough his Snap On temp reader. The first minute or two each manifold was climbing at the same rate. They climbed the same all the way to about 115 degrees. After they both hit 115 degrees, the manifold on the left kept climbing. It rose all the way to about 150 degrees then stayed right around there and we killed the engine.

He says the difference in temps should be around 10 to 20 degrees but not 35.

I do appreciate all you guys responses and this is the reason I joined the forum. I want to do the right thing but don't want to waste my money.

Thanks for all you guys help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

1 ,new water pump impeller kit
2 ,run on muffs watching the water exit the drive,
3 , compare to gauge, can you put your hand on each manifold and riser comparing heat.
4, a clogged riser will cause one to get hotter because there is not enough flow thru it.

proxyx

Banned

if it stays at 150 there no reason to worry, still acceptable. I agree with the suggestion that you could have some deposits, improperly installed riser gasket obstructing the flow. Impeller seems to be doing the job as well, for now. You can remove it yourself (5 bolts ot so) detach riser from manifold and remove deposits (screwdriver or muriatic acid or sulphuric acid). New gasket costs just few bucks. Power issue may be related to ignition timing, carb setup or wrong prop. I just have no reason to think there's something more serious. Check what pitch/size you have and ask local marina store if correct for your boat. Talk to previous owner (if you still can...)maybe he'll give you some tips as to work done, history, issues.
You had tuneup done... what specifically? Say more about the boat.

VIP-Soto

Seaman Apprentice

if it stays at 150 there no reason to worry, still acceptable. I agree with the suggestion that you could have some deposits, improperly installed riser gasket obstructing the flow. Impeller seems to be doing the job as well, for now. You can remove it yourself (5 bolts ot so) detach riser from manifold and remove deposits (screwdriver or muriatic acid or sulphuric acid). New gasket costs just few bucks. Power issue may be related to ignition timing, carb setup or wrong prop. I just have no reason to think there's something more serious. Check what pitch/size you have and ask local marina store if correct for your boat. Talk to previous owner (if you still can...)maybe he'll give you some tips as to work done, history, issues.
You had tuneup done... what specifically? Say more about the boat.

OMG, you hit the nail on the head! WEll kind of. THE TIMING WAS WAY OFF! The boat runs perfect now and is not overheating. The engine is super strong!!!! The mechanic discovered this last night! I was only running half the cylinders or something like that. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic. I AM SO STOKED NOW!!!

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

wow, he rebuilt the carb but didn't even check the timing? I'm glad its running good now, but I wouldn't take it back to him again.