Burden of Ownership

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An observation that should give anyone thinking of buying their first boat pause.

In pouring over Craig?s List in my boat search and questioning existing owners, I?m simply stunned by the number of folks who own boats that have literally never used the boat.

Common theme. ?Well, I heard it run when I bought it. But it?s been in my garage for the last three years.?

Or:

?I used to use it for the first few years but it?s been two years since I last took it out.?

Or:

?I inherited the boat from my cousin. He used to take it out but I never did.?
Or:

?I just want it out of my yard. It?s been sitting there since?since?since Bush was in the white house. The first Bush.?

These people make boat ownership seem like some kind of albatross around their necks. They seem to lack both the finances and the inclination to regularly utilize a boat.

Despite all of this, I still want a boat. I think.

It would be my first boat. Am I crazy? Am I likely to become one of these people?a Don?t-Wanter desperate to dump my marine burden?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Burden of Ownership

its alot of work, and it does take money and time to operate and keep up. But, the results are far more than worth it to the right people. I guess you will have to own one and decide if the work outweighs the fun or not. newer the boat, the less the work but the more $$$ dished out on it. I dont think i will ever be done spending time and money on my boat, til the day i sell it. just my $.02

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

how convenient is it to go boating, are you close to a lake or river and ramp, is a 100 bucks a outing OK on the budget? got a tow vehicle, and a suitable storage place for the boat off season. most towns and neighbors don't like in the front yard. or driveway.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The worst thing for a boat is for it to sit. Once they sit they dry rot or the floor rots out. Most of the boats on CL are total crap and not worth fixing... especially the come get it out of my yard type. There are a few simple things you can do to keep "sitting" from tearing up ur boat. 1- spray the whole engine down with WD-40 or a similar water displacer routinely. 2- flush the motor for 10min or more after every use... even in fresh water because salt is not the only harmful mineral in boating waters. 3- make sure any water that gets in the boat during storage will run to the transom and drain (jack up the front of the trailer enough) 4- Make sure the drain plug is not plugged up every few weeks. 5- COVER YOUR BOAT! get a good cover to keep the elements out. Just think about how much damage the sun will do to ur skin in a day if you don't have clothes on. The sun does the same damage to gel coat, wood, fiberglass, etc. 6- open all storage compartments when in storage and covered to allow moisture to escape... this applies to PWC seats as well and is VERY helpful for keeping corrosion out.

Bifflefan

Commander

I say pick your poision...
its fun and something the whole family can do. if they dont like it then you have a place to go and get some alone time.
If those dont apply then,, it may not be for you.
Dont buy the most expensive one you find,, and also dont buy a POS. get one that you can afford to use and then use it. its the only way you will know. then if you dont like it, sell it before it turns to crap. :D

Best of luck....

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

(Honestly, I thought you had bought a boat already by now)

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run my boat at least 2-3 times per month in the Spring/Summer/Fall and 1 time per month in the winter, that's about 20 times/year. I know you should never do this with your toys, but lets see.....annual costs.

Annual Service - $800.00
Lake Fee - $140.00
Fee per person - $400.00 (me and my wifey)
Gas for Truck - $600.00
Gas for Boat - $600.00
Miscellaneous Costs - $500.00
Storage - $600.00 (live in Socal in a shoe box)

Total - $3640, resulting in approx $182.00 per outing ($45/hour)

So, you I can see why they end up just letting is sit. For me its an investment in my quality of life, don't know what I would do without it.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Wow a lot of negativity here. Just like anything else, there is work to be done when you are an owner. Just basic stuff, like a cover, oil changes, winterizing, ect. The joy and freedom boating gives us outways the costs for the most part. Sure things break, but I will bet a 30 year old boat breaks down less and cost less to maintain than a 30 year old car. I have some of both, so I look at them as what they are, Hobbies! To which any hobby can cost a few sheckles now and then. Go out and enjoy.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

A true boater will tell you it's not a hobby it's a way of life.
I had dreamed all my life about owning a boat.
After 18 years of marriage I was finally able to afford my first boat, I paid $900 for a 1980 stingray bowrider.
The boat was mechanically sound but not very pretty, once I stripped off the old ugly paint and repainted it I loved it.
I have been addicted ever since.
When people get their first taste of boating they either get "The Bug" or they don't.
Just because you own a boat doesn't mean you are a boater.
Where we live we have lake access (Don't own frontage), so its a 5 minute trip to the launch and then I can moor during the day.
We have no fees, so it is reasonably economical for us.
Boating is the only hobby I have so the wife has no problem with the money.
I tell all my friends that want to get into boating to figure out what they can afford to spend on a boat, then multiply that by .70 so as not to overextend themselves with possible unforseen repairs.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

($40/hour) So, you I can see why they end up just letting is sit. For me its an investment in my quality of life, don't know what I would do without it.

BINGO. I personally do not have a lot of hobbies because every fricken time I plan something the military gets in the way with an unscheduled inspection or some other crap. Friggen heck I can't count the times I've had something in the works for weeks/months only to have a big huge 'sorry, the IG changed their visit, we need you'. Good Lord every time I plan something it gets jacked. So what time off I do get, you better believe I want it to be quality.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I've found it depends on the type of boat owner you are. If you need a high end new boat and can't do any of your own upkeep, you're going to pay through the nose. I've personally always bought cheap older boats. Fixed them myself, did all my own work. I've found that contrary to popular beliefs, owning a boat can be fairly inexpensive. As far as hobbies go anyhow. Sure, you can blow $100 a day easy. But I can blow that on golfing too. Or taking my motorcycle to the race track. If it's too expensive, do it less often. It's not a hobby to have if you're pinching pennies. But I'm not wealthy by any means. Middle class at best. And I've always found I could make it work if I really wanted to.

Right now, I'm laid off and just bought the first boat I've had for a few years. I couldn't pass up the deal. As an unemployed person, I won't be able to do long expensive weekends, but I'll be able to do a few short days a month. Don't forget, you can always ask your dead beat fishing buddies to chip in for fuel. ;-)

Also depends on how you use it. Having twin 454's and blasting around all day costs more than lazily running up and down the river on a pontoon boat with a 25hp outboard, fishing.

If you're not sure you're going to like it, look for a good deal on a used boat. If you buy new, you'll lose your shirt if you decide to sell it in 3 years. Look for the smoking deal, then if you need to get out of it, it won't hurt so bad. I always use patience and wait. Look for that really special deal. I like to buy stuff I know I can resell for what I have into it, or almost.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Way back in the dusty past,,, my mother worked for a fellow who had the same kind of "second thoughts" about boat ownership.

My folks worked out a deal with him where he paid for a slip, went half on maintenance, full cov.insurance, and paid his own expenses, fuel and such, for a summer. They alternated weekends/days of use.

If you have doubts, perhaps you can find a deal like that so you can "get your feet wet" before you commit.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BINGO. I personally do not have a lot of hobbies because every fricken time I plan something the military gets in the way with an unscheduled inspection or some other crap. Friggen heck I can't count the times I've had something in the works for weeks/months only to have a big huge 'sorry, the IG changed their visit, we need you'. Good Lord every time I plan something it gets jacked. So what time off I do get, you better believe I want it to be quality.

Wow you posted the very reasons I got out of the Army after 4 years. I got sick of the Crap. Inspections, Parades, Marching, PT Testing, oversees TDY deployments. Enought already.

To the original Poster you have the sames concerns I do. Im saving money to pay cash for a Boat in the Fall. I grew up around boats but never own one myself. I love boating but am I going to love being a boat owner.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should be titled Pride of Ownership.

When it becomes a burden, dump in on CL.

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll second what nitsuj said. I paid cash for my used boat and do all the maintenance myself. I am also lucky enough to have several lakes nearby with free access. So other than the occasional part, all I pay for is the gas I use. And I spend most of my time cruising or anchored while the kids swim so I don't use much of that.

So it is an affordable hobby if you have the skills/desire to make it so.

That being said, we went to the boat show last weekend and fell in love with the 23' Hurricane deckboat with a 225 O/B. It costs $40K. So much for the "inexpensive" hobby if we give in to that one!! :D

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I bought mine when I lived in Florida and wanted to spend more time enjoying life. Used it often, but kept the hours down buy just laying up at the sand bars.

Here in Vegas, it took some effort to get back into the boating life. I've been having fun and enjoying Lake Mead. I miss Florida. (don't tell my wife, she hates FL) :eek:

It does eat up your budget. Boating is not cheap. But, it is relaxing and stress reducing. Now my problem is my back. I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow. The bumps on the rough water hammers at my lower back. Tomorrow I may find out why. Hopefully, my boat doesn't end up on CL. :(

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess you don't know if the hobby is for you or not?

I always have lived by what I learned in little league. It's better to strike out swinging than to have a strike called on you.

Swing the bat and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you are out some money, but you don't look back and wonder.

Those people who do not use their boats on CL are the ones that give us used boat buyers the sweet deals!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know very little about boat maintenance so how does one learn? Also from what others have said maintenance is part of this boating hobby.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

We dipped our toe in the boating water this year, and we love it. Once we paid for the boat and the "stuff" that goes along with it we really haven't spent much money on it. The most I've put into the boat for gas after a day on the water was $20 or $30. We also have the luxury of living within a few miles of some great lakes, so it's easy to get in and out. In fact tomorrow I'm playing golf in the morning, taking our kids and their friends out in the boat in the afternoon, and my daughter to her school orientation in the evening. We're not die-hard boaters; we go out about every other weekend; but we do really enjoy the family time when we're out there.

I agree w/the others that if you don't like it...sell the boat! If you buy it right you shouldn't take much of a beating.

God bless those folks that can work on their own boat (there's a lot of them on iboats). Personally, I suck at most of that stuff, and would never dream of touching the engine or the drive. I bought a newer used boat w/the idea that we'd have at least a few years of trouble-free boating ahead of us. So far, so good.