• I buy most of my parts at a local store

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I buy most of my parts at a dealership

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best places to buy parts....

If I can support a local business and the cost diff is not a lot, I will. If I can wait, and the diff is $5 or more, I click and save. I dont earn enough to throw it away. My shop is facing the same thing, and we are discounting our work to keep the business. $17 for cotter pins?? Those guys need to wake up.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

The economics is that the more we cherry pick on price, the fewer and fewer sellers there will be. The small margins that your local suppliers make will be lost to the larger online sellers who do not have air conditioning or parking lots. So the local sellers go away to open a Check Cashing business to make some return on their investment.

Everything we buy will be manufactured in China and sold from a warehouse in Bakersfield. Or from WalMart. LoL

767Captain

Seaman

I own three companies that each sell via the internet. We keep the overhead low, and pretty much beat anyone's prices on equivalent product. Two businesses are in industrial equipment, and one in environmental commodities. We also only sell American made products. "Local" businesses do need to get with the program and realize that the vast majority of folks research purchases online, and many actually make online purchases. One of our companies has an average sales price of about $13,000-18,000. The other averages between $18,000-80,000 per order.
Boat parts and supplies are ridiculously priced in conventional stores. I buy all I can online. I know people buy my products on price, and I shop the same way. If a "local" marine supply store carries decent inventory, at a competitive price, I'll shop there. Unfortunately, the local marine stores in San Diego environs are either poorly stocked, and/or overpriced.