Abandoned boat

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Abandoned boat

I would move it out of your way and chain it up. Leave a very noticeable note with it with a contact phone number. If she calls, she can explain her actions and pay appropriate storage if required. If she doesn't return, take steps to lay claim to it. Check with the local authorities to advise on those steps.

Bifflefan

Commander

id be carefull of moving it until you check the laws, but you should be able to charge them a slip or storage fee, and some other fees for leaving it with out permission.
First thing id is check to see if its stolen tho. then worry about the other stuff.
Not stolen and in your way. pull it out and lock it up (if the law allows) then do just the minimum to pass the law then apply for the title or at least a lean on the title.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why are all you guys such freakin gold diggers.........my god who knows what went down or what is going on with the boat.

Take an old anchor secure it well and move it off your dock.........leave a note that you want to talk to whoever left the boat there.

Or if you really dont even need the dock space. Leave it there till the poor soul can come back..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Whats this lovely lady LOOK like? lol
A woman with a boat (and obviously dumb as a rock) could be a very good thing!!!!

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

A party sounds like a good idea. I'm only about an hour north of you.

But really, have you called the St Charles P.D. to check the legalities of moving it? I agree with those that say anchor it away from your dock or pull it on shore if possible. I hope nothing bad happened to the owner.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with Thajeffski on this one. This is a very hard crowd! There was a day when everyone would have said, "Dang, I hope everything is OK!" Now it's I'll sue/cut it loose/keep it for myself... etc. Pretty harsh actions for our "Boating Community". What if it was YOUR boat that got misplaced for ... whatever reason?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

The boat did not get misplaced, it was TIED to his dock. If it were my boat, I would have been courteous enough to ask permission to leave it there and explain my situation. So you're saying if I park my car in your driveway, and don't tell you anything, you would leave it there no questions asked?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Yes! Now you're getting it!

Why is everyone getting upset about a little space?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Yes! Now you're getting it!

Why is everyone getting upset about a little space?

I think it's the fact that the owner was too inconsiderate to leave a note, ask permission, etc. Personally, if I had the space and someone left it there, I would probably not complain until about a week goes by. But if it's in the way, that's another story. I would definitely not cut it loose, if anything reanchor it so it's out of the way, and proceed with trying to find the owner.

It's not every day someone just leaves a boat at your dock. I guess you don't really know what you'd do until it happens to you?:confused:

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

What if the owner did leave a note, and it blew away in the wind or something.

All I'm saying is that if some BAD crap went down on the water and I HAD to leave my boat somewhere for a few days......and I TRIED to leave a note but it got blown away.......I'd be heart broken if I came back on the 4th day with 200 dollars in my hand and the owner told me that he has no idea about a boat that was tied to his dock.......EVEN THOUGH HE WASNT USING THE DOCK!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thinking a bit more...
I wouldn't touch the boat..Call the cops, I see it now..

Mr.blah blah blah...We found Mrs X, it wasnt pretty...What did you do to her you sick so & so!!!

We have your prints ALL over that boat...lol:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe it's some sort of government stimulus program.

LMAO..........oh man you killed me. I can see it now: here you go, times are tough so heres another moneypit haahahaaaaa.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

For those people saying leave it there theyre not causing any harm; what if you had a lakefront property, you have to get home in a hurry ( relative on death bed or such); and when you get there someones boat is there. would you be happy? if it happened to me, lets just say that boats owners better leave the state.

tonyrumpf

Recruit

Hello All New to Iboats
I have a boat that was abandoned in Hingham Harbor Ma. It landed in front of my son in laws dock. Checked with Coast Guard and harbormasters in four towns they all said it was considered a hazard floating around the harbor and abandonded after 30 days if no-one claimed it. Enter MA Dept of Envir Prot to apply for a title. What a nightmare. After several months they finally found the original owner. He had sold it a couple of years prior - the new owners just let it float all over the harbor. I proceeded to restore it during the waiting period and spoke to a Maritime Attorney. His advice was " Have your son in law write a bill of sale for $1.00 and restore it. Keep records of your time and costs and if anyone claims it they could have it back after reimbursing you for your efforts.
It's a 15 ft 1965 Alum Duratech Neptune with a 73 Johnson 50 hp (35mph). Looks great and we enjoy it. I'm considering replacing the Johnson with a 2000 Evinrude 30 HP ELPT (+/- 100 hours) and installing Teleflex.

Hope that helps a bit. Any thoughts on my propsed engine swap/
Thanks Tony

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I would try to go the legal route as much as possible...

Notify the police/marine patrol that a boat was abandoned at your dock (they will probably attempt to locate the owner).

in FL, If the owner doesn't come to claim it within 30 days its yours. Apply for a title and your good to go. (not sure about your local laws)

I would not cut it lose, you could be held responsible, and I also wouldn't board the vessel and leave prints all over it, in case it is in fact stolen, or some foul play has occured with it... sorry if I sound a little overly cautious, but in this day and age, you can never be too safe!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Although making into a 'pass around' party boat sounds tempting, I'd just move it out of the way, and if nobody comes for it in a few more days, call the police and have them haul it off.

JayM001

Cadet

Not to kill the spirit of all the parties that seem to be in the making, but what is so hard about just calling the cops or local marine patrol? I suspect they'll know what to do with it.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boy, you guys took a perfectly fun thread to vent out a little "good time" scenario and make it all serious and legal and stuff.:(

NO, I would not untie it. I would not call it in for at least a week. I WOULD expect an explanation from the owner when they return!:confused:

But on the fun side of it all...I STILL VOTE FOR THE TRAVELING PARTY:D

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Go to the DMV or police and find out the owner. Contact them and find out what's going on. I can remember when we actually tryed to help each other.