Threw away my spare tire cover.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I was cleaning my trailer the other day, and I thought I should take the cover off and check the spare. Give it a good cleaning and make sure the nuts are tight, pressure is good, stuff like that.

When I took the cover off, it was hard on the bottom and mildew looking inside. The tire was gross. And what made me really mad was my rim.
My rims are directional chrome with gold centers. The gold on the spare is at least five shades lighter than the other four.:eek: At first, I though it was an illusion. So I took the tire off the mount, set it next to the other tires and sure enough, lighter.:confused:
I have absolutly no idea what would have caused this, but I am blaming the cover. And it was an open backed cover so air was able to get in.
So, unless any of you guys might know how this might have happened, I will not be putting another cover on my spare.:(

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Threw away my spare tire cover.

maybe rubbed against it due to vibration while trailering ?

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not possible, the cover fit tight on the front of the tire, the rim is recessed a good three inches.
I don't know if the sun light brought out a deeper color in the four that are on the road, or if the cleaning and polishing of them three times a week made them darker. Or if the spare became lighter. Either way, it looks stupid. I almost want to put a cover back on it so I can't see it.

woosterken

Lieutenant

could the cover multiplyed the sun's heat under the cover?
like it is at least 20* more in a closed car than open

woosterken

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The exposure to road grime and cleaners may be the best answer. Maybe the spare stayed wet longer.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now that you say it, I had been kinda thinking cleaners. Only the bottom four inches of the spare get wet. Unless I am towing in the rain.
Never really thought about heat and grime. Maybe a combination of all. I am going to leave the cover off for the rest of this season, and clean the spare a few extra times and see how it goes. Then I think I will cover the other four when stored and try to replicate heat build up. If next year does not bring them close, I am just going to cover it and hope I never have to use it.

I know, it sounds vain, but it really is not vanity. It is a beatiful trailer and boat combination and it looks as if I don't take care of it when you see the "mismatched" rim with the rest of the tires and trim work.

Thanks guys.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was just thinking of getting a spare since mine gets the occassional rock chip. My thought was that however little, a cover might deter a theif in a hurry plus save the rim.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

I know, it sounds vain, but it really is not vanity.

Well, yeah it kinda is.

Three times a week?! Good god man! It's a wonder there's any gold or paint or gelcoat left on any of it!

Did I just say that out loud?

Cheers.................Todd

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Three times a week?! Good god man! It's a wonder there's any gold or paint or gelcoat left on any of it!"

That's funny:p

Well, She is an '01 bought new off the show room floor. The first and probably last new boat I will ever own. My wife and I saved for seven years to buy a new boat. And she still looks brand spankin' new. Get lots of compliments on her.

She gets washed every time it goes out.
I don't work on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday and I get up at 5am. I don't have anything to do, so I go out to the garage, turn on the news, drink coffee and wax the boat and trailer. Overkill, I know, but it keeps me out of trouble and I like to be doing something to the boat. Sometimes I sit in the boat and watch the news.
My wife thinks I spend more money on cleaning supplies than we do on gas.:eek: