shift rod bushing removal '87 Johnson 30HP

spoolin01

Seaman
I'm stumped about how the bushing and stuff in the shift rod passage in the gearcase on this motor can be gotten out. The parts diagram looks like there's a washer, 2 o-rings above it, and a bushing on top. I can see what looks like a painted over bushing in the water intake cutout. Does everything come out this way? What holds the bushing in place if that's the case? I made an extractor from a thin bolt put through a washer and then through the drive end of a 3/8 drive socket big enough to draw that upper bushing into, put that down through the bushing from the intake cutout side, with a small washer and nut put on the other end from inside the gearcase nosecone, but I wasn't sure if that was taking things in the right direction so I didn't put much force on it. Can anyone tell me how to get that stuff out of there? thanks, Mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift rod bushing removal '87 Johnson 30HP

easist way is to tap the busing with a 5 16ths 18 tap and use a large washer,nut and piece of all thread to draw it out.

spoolin01

Seaman

Thanks, I hadn't thought of threading it... Does the rest of the stuff underneath come out that same direction?

spoolin01

Seaman

The threading worked like a charm. While trying to buy a new bushing at the local shop, they told me they never remove them, just pull the o-ring out with a pick, then squeeze another one back into place. Wish I'd known that trick... having never seen the bushing, it wasn't obvious that could be done.