I called the cops!

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Since everyone's calling the cops lately I thought I might relate a recent and rare call for me. I called the cops, on the cops.

I was driving on a busy 3-lane 45mph road in town on a Friday afternoon at 4:30pm. I was driving on the inside lane and to my right was a local non-badged (undercover) cruiser. This officer was looking at his computer screen and typing with both hands on the keyboard, looking intently at the screen and driving 45mph!

I drove next to him in disbelief for several blocks then called (while driving) the local duty officer to inquire about the sheriffs office policy on driving while using in car PC's. She was very nice and told me that it was not a violation of policy to use their PC's in route. They were "trained" to drive 100mph while typing and driving with their knees. In fact she could touch type 60wpm while driving! I told her surely I would be ticketed for driving while on a PC. She told me (in total disbelief) that there is no law against driving while on a PC in Florida and as long as I was driving safely I wouldn't be ticketed. I thanked her for her time and drove home.

Now for me this story goes two ways.

1- If police can be "trained" to drive like that than surely it should NOT be illegal to drive while merely using a cellphone. This is obviously a skill that could be taught as opposed to just saying it's dangerous and illegal. Before outlawing it offer training and certification. I'll have a cell-phone + PC certification please. :)

2- I don't believe that skill can be trained and SAFE. I should still get the cell-phone certification!

Re: I called the cops!

You got to see that using a cell phone/texting/whatever is directly linked to numerious traffic accidents and deaths. Even though the cops can screw up and wreck there are only a very few of them compared to millions who are still ising the cell while driving. Most of these people do not have the experience cops do either.So ,put away your cell phone while driving this arguement has little merit.:(

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I used to do just that as a service tech with a company issued laptop. Spent the last seven years with the company using that in traffic all day long. Believe it or not, it gets kinda easy after a while.....;)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Pull in front of him, wait a few minutes, then slam on your brakes. Let's see how well 'trained' they are then. Distracted is distracted, doesn't matter the reason.

Just because there are so few police using laptops and so many people using cell phones doesn't make the laptop use safe, it means the total accidents caused by laptop users will be lower, but the ratio may be way, way higher. Before it comes up (even if it doesn't).. I would argue even a heads up display would be as likely to cause an accident, as your focal point is not the road, but the windshield. Your brain does the same thing as when you are looking at a reflection in water.. it ignores the stuff under the water.

But alas, I'm worn out on the driving topic.. everyone says what they do doesn't cause accidents. The fact is, driving causes accidents. If you are so paranoid about dying, drive less.

skargo

Banned

You should ride beside him until you notice traffic in front of him slowing to stop. Then beep your horn and wave at him, and laugh when he rearends the guy in front of him. It works with people on cell phones too.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Thursday last we had a young woman kill herself on a freeway....drifted into a car beside her and in her panic lost complete control, slid across the grass medium strip and hit a Double B Road Train head on.
Guess what she was doing....using a phone!!
I don't care what you say....driving and doing something else is not clever.
Cheers
Phillip

Lowkey.Man I live in charlotte and you know you cant go slammin on the brakes in front of our Charlotte cops.......someone would be shot LOL.

TilliamWe

Banned

I once called the cops on a cop, too. He ran a red light in Springfield, IL. And not just, went through it as it was turning red, it had been red for 3 seconds, before he went through it at 45mph (posted speed limit). When I called the State Police (it was a State Police vehicle), all they cared about was whether he was speeding or not!

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

But alas, I'm worn out on the driving topic.. everyone says what they do doesn't cause accidents. The fact is, driving causes accidents. If you are so paranoid about dying, drive less.

Amen, life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Just because there are so few police using laptops" every police vehicle in the city of Jacksonville is computer equipped, and the FHP is also. the computers are dispatching tools with directions, and a description of the call. they also run ID's, Tag #s when driving, etc.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I once called the cops on a cop, too. He ran a red light in Springfield, IL. And not just, went through it as it was turning red, it had been red for 3 seconds, before he went through it at 45mph (posted speed limit). When I called the State Police (it was a State Police vehicle), all they cared about was whether he was speeding or not!

Earlier this summer I was waiting in a left turn lane when a cop coming from the other direction ran an OLD red light in heavy traffic and got t-boned! Nobody was hurt. They both pulled over a few feet from my driver side window. I watched the poor guy sitting there looking grim while the cop got out and slowly walked to his car. I wondered how the cop would react. He was cool about it at least-- asked if the guy was alright, then held up his mangled, dragging bumper so the guy could slowly drive into a parking lot.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

So......what are we saying, That cops are above the law? That there is a lesser standard for some people? And the Joker above who further distracts an already distracted driver into causing an accident....What if it was YOUR family that was hit thru no fault of their own? DISTRACTED IS DISTRACTED....and the friggin COPS should see enough of it to know better.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Why would you shoot the cop?

He wasn't talking about him shooting the cop, but the other way around, thats what happens in some southern states if you get what we mean.

j_martin

Admiral

My teenage kid was driving along, minding his own business, for sure going a little less than the speed limit because there was a cop parked on the right side of the road. As he got there, she (the cop) suddenly tried to make a quick U-turn, and he t-boned her. Then she turned on the flashing lights.

According to the police report, she turned on her lights, checked for traffic, and was surprised at how this car appeared (must have been speeding) and hit her.

He had witnesses, so he escaped with a wrecked car, instead of charges. The cops should have bought him a new car.

sheesh. It's hard to have respect sometimes.

John

TilliamWe

Banned

And all you had to do to get his car repaired, or get the equivalent cash value (you don't get a new car in replacement of a used one) was turn in the claim to your insurance carrier and let them pursue subrogation against the police's insurance carrier. It's done every day and it works, regardless of who gets tickets.