peening rivets

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
i was told peening rivets should stop the leaks in my boat
how do i go about going this

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: peening rivets

You will need a helper and 2 steel hammers, have the outside guy hold his hammer firmly on the rivet and you give it a whack or two, thats pretty much it.

It is pretty load so some ear plugs may be in order.

Splat

Lieutenant

Search for bucking rivets. You'll get all the info you need.

Bill

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You "buck" a rivet -- you don't peen them. So much for terminology. If you happen to be a bodybuilder or physical fitness geek then use of an uncovered hand dumbell makes a good bucking tool. Otherwise a five pound hammer or the head off of a post maul makes a good tool. For most boat work, it does take two people since ones arms are not generally long enough to reach both ends of the rivet. Check the internet for many tutorials on "bucking rivets".

reelfishin

Captain

I went out a bought an Ingersol Rand aircraft riveter. I own 5 aluminum boats and have always owned aluminum boats so it only made sense to have the right tool. Its basically an air hammer with a real short stroke with a set of custom cut drivers and a set of hand held anvils. The driving bits are concave to fit and form the rivet as it compresses giving a perfect factory appearance.

I think mine is an AV-13, they make several size guns, the longer the barrel the larger the rivet it will buck.

http://www.clearairtools.web.aplus....creen=CTGY&Store_Code=CAT&Category_Code=RG-IR

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went out a bought an Ingersol Rand aircraft riveter. I own 5 aluminum boats and have always owned aluminum boats so it only made sense to have the right tool. Its basically an air hammer with a real short stroke with a set of custom cut drivers and a set of hand held anvils. The driving bits are concave to fit and form the rivet as it compresses giving a perfect factory appearance.

I think mine is an AV-13, they make several size guns, the longer the barrel the larger the rivet it will buck.

http://www.clearairtools.web.aplus....creen=CTGY&Store_Code=CAT&Category_Code=RG-IR

looking at the riveter looks to me like a cheap harbor freight
air chisel hammer would do the trick.
weld on or modify one of the chisels into a buck.
i have a chisel and may just look into that, thanks.

robert graham

Admiral

on my 1983 riveted aluminum canoe, I have taken a wire brush to each rivet then apply a small blob of yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive(gorilla snot) to the rivet, both sides, and it holds like steel, and keeps the salt water out of the rivet to prevent corrosion. easy fix! 3M, super glue, duct tape, tie wraps can fix most anything! Good luck