Smallest or weakest you've skiied behind?

I've seen people talk about some small boats they've skied behind, but want to know what the absolute smallest or weakest boat is that can be skied behind.

PS. Even if you don't think it's the smallest or weakest, I'd like to hear about whatever the smallest thing you've skied behind is.

The smallest thing I've skied behind is an old Kawasaki TS 650. Not sure how many HP it was. It was difficult but I've gotten up behind it slaloming with both feet in. Most times I would just get up on two and drop one though because it was so tiring getting up on one behind that weak thing. My favorite thing to do was pull so hard out to one side that the driver of the jet ski could be turning all the way to one direction but still be turning the opposite way. :)

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Smallest or weakest you've skiied behind?

I learned to ski (about 35 years ago) behind a 17 foot bowrider with a 45Hp OB. I just thought it was normal to drag through the water for 3 or 4 seconds before getting up. I remember the handle snapping back almost to the boat when my brother in law who went 225+ would lose it at the start. The first time behind a Master Craft was amazing.

haha, nice. yeah, I've seen them snap pretty far before as well. This might be a little sick, but I love watching people learn to ski because I find the crashing VERY entertaining! :)

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

16 foot alum. fishing boat.... 28hp evinrude.... that was my first time skiing... i learned how to hold my breathe

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1968 14' Mirrocraft w/20 hp Merc (tiller steer)
I skied behind that from age 7-12. The year I learned to ski my dad would pull three of us kids behind it. At the same time. He would set the friction on the twist grip. Give it full throttle, then move up to the center seat and give about four hard pulls with the oars (seriously).

My mom stayed on the dock to take photos when we came by. I don't have any of the shots scanned with the boat in the picture.

127262572.jpg

I've pulled my 12 yr old daughter on fat trick skis behind a 6 hp on a 14' Lund.

I learned to barefoot (step-off from a slalom) behind a '74 Boston Whaler with 40 hp.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

These guys (and the woman skiing) should probably get some recognition:

372229808.jpg

As should these:

180671303.jpg

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 14 foot lund tinny with a 25 horse Evenrude tiller and no spotter. Boat was rated for 20 horse max. This was on a private lake not much bigger than a pond located between Minnetonka and Eden Prairie, MN.

jkust

Rear Admiral

9.9 horse Mercury when we were kids but it was kneeboarding. Used to do it all day and even had a floating jump. It was my friends boat since we each had boats like we had bicycles.

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

6 hp (tiller steer) on a little alum rowboat. I was 7 y/o I think. Shallow water and sandy bottom helped plane the boat I think!

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

A friends small wooden row boat, with a 9.9. Might have weighed 50 pounds at the time and used a pair of **** Popes. I then went doubles with my younger brother on another pair of **** Popes. We proceeded to build a two man pyramid. Popped up pretty quick if I remember right. For barefooting (stepping-off), our '63 Fabuglass Fury with a 50 hp Merc. I could foot at 27 mph back in '66.

jake069

Seaman

16ft wooden boat, 40hp (freinds boat)

24ft pontoon 40hp (family boat from age 7-14)

Yamaha and Kawa 750cc jetski's

now I can barely get up behind my searay 175...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

14ft Owens fiberglass runabout with a 60hp Evinrude.
Certainly no records set by us eh !!!!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I learned to slalom and did a ton of it behind a 14' fiberglass runabout from the 60's sporting a 1956 evenrude 30 horse that smoked like an old man with a cigar and was so loose it would hardly idle. of course I was small and light and had a ski that was oversized for my weight and height (a wooden 67" conley hook...). oh and this was in the la7e 70's early 80's... so both the boat and motor were already old and tired!

EsoxRanger

Seaman

1958 15' Lone Star with a 1964 Evinrude Lark 35.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When we were kids we skied, doubles and rode pull boards and trick skis behind a ten horse Johnson on a 13 foot runabout. Later we installed a 35 on the boat. We lived on a nice lake, we skied all the time. We had several boats.

This was shot from a 14 foot runabout with a 50 horse Johnson:

IMG_0109_edited.jpg

Shot behind a Hydrodyne with Johnson 135 running about 40MPH:

IMG_0089_edited.jpg

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About 25yrs ago when I first learned how to ski we skied behind a 14 lund w/ a 25 hp Chrysler and a waist belt life preserver.:eek:

nightflight

Seaman Apprentice

about 45 years ago we skied behind a 14' carolina plywood runabout with a brown 18 hp johnson think it was called a fast twin or was that the evenrude versio
we got aventurous and added a second 18. we actaully slalomed with one and pulled dopubles with two engines.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a shot behind a dyne with a 175 Johnnyrude

Attachments

• Vermont 2 '84.jpg
    Vermont 2 '84.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

ryland43

Seaman Apprentice

im 210 lbs and ski and wake skate behind a 1964 14? fiberglass boat with a 1964 merc 50. used it most everyday this summer slow getting up with 4 people in the boat

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

About 100 lbs ago I skied behind a johnboat with a 9.9 evinrude,not very fast,I used to slalom behind a 15 ft glasspar with a 40 hp evinrude. Top speed was 27 mph.