Quick Vaseline question

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Chaparral 1988, that's got fading. Especially noticeable where I took the "CHAPARRAL" stickers off the sides at the stern.
So,
I tried polishing compound with an orbital buffer, no improvement.
I tried rubbing compound with an orbital buffer, no improvement.

I've been reading about the wonders of vaseline. I just bought a $3 tub, and rubbed it all over the boat. Top half red, bottom half white (now yellow). It's 95F outside.

Is it supposed to sit overnight ? Will the Vasleline Fairy pay me a visit ? Do I need to apply it again ?

Cause after an hour in the sun, I don't see any improvement....infact the white bottom has gotten yellower. :(TIA.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Quick Vaseline question

I have a Chaparral 1988, that's got fading. Especially noticeable where I took the "CHAPARRAL" stickers off the sides at the stern.
So,

I've been reading about the wonders of vaseline. I just bought a $3 tub, and rubbed it all over the boat. Top half red, bottom half white (now yellow). It's 95F outside.

Is it supposed to sit overnight ? Will the Vasleline Fairy pay me a visit ? Do I need to apply it again ?

Cause after an hour in the sun, I don't see any improvement....infact the white bottom has gotten yellower. :(TIA.

Several threads started already on the "Vaseline Thang" :rolleyes:

ngoldenm

Cadet

I noticed the exact same thing. It worked wonders on all the colored sections of my boats. The spot where I tested it on the white part came out looking like it had a large coffee stain on it. I'm wondering if I'm applying it incorrectly or too liberally?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I noticed the exact same thing. It worked wonders on all the colored sections of my boats. The spot where I tested it on the white part came out looking like it had a large coffee stain on it. I'm wondering if I'm applying it incorrectly or too liberally?

Might it be...because its meant to soften skin? and not to protect gelcoat?

MRS

Commander

If it looks that bad then your gelcoat is probably to far gone already. Or you do not have any more gelcoat left. My old boat was like that but my new old boat the vaseline deal worked great I have it on now for day two and it looks great.

MRS

Commander

One more thing a orbital will not do a thing for oxidation they are not worth the money you spent on them. You need the variable speed sander buffer deal with the right pads and compounds.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

to put vasiline on a boat is like smearing oil and contamination on your boat, i havent done it but i wouldnt either , how would you ever get it out of the poors if you wanted to paint the boat, i think pledge would do the same thing and you would get a lemony scent

ngoldenm

Cadet

Thank you for the sarcastic reply to a question. I mean no offense to anyone, but it just seems counter productive to give these kind of replies on helpful forum to an honest question.

I realize that there are two sides to this argument. I read a lot and decided that for my situation I wanted to give it a shot. My boat looked horrible, and I tried the cut and buff thing on a section and got pretty good results. It also took forever. I then applied a little vaseline to another section, and got the exact same results. So for my budget boat, I chose the vaseline route to save time and money. It seems that the OP may have done the same. So if you don't have something constructive to say, please don't say it. And if you do, say it respectfully. That's all I ask.

So, back to topic, if it made no visible improvement on your boat, then as MRS said, you probably don't have any gelcoat left. I put mine on the colored parts of my boat and let it sit on it for 3 days. It made an amazing difference, except for the white place that I mentioned earlier. A cut and buff on another white place also produced the same yellowing. I'm not sure what's going on in my case because I don't think the boat is supposed to be that color.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

its called chalking :] , use fine sand paper then cut with wool pad and rolite ,then polish . repectfully rinsing constantly so as not to drive any oils[caugh] into the pores of the paint , actualy use a dewaxer before you start here is a list of ingrediants in vasiline ;

Ingredient Glossary
BORAGO OFFICINALIS SEED OIL
An emollient; specifically, a botanical oil rich in triglycerides (which are building blocks of skin lipids) and antioxidants (which are a part of nature's defense and repair mechanisms).

BUTYLENE GLYCOL
A humectant material that binds with water molecues and holds them in skin cells.

CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE
An emollient; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

CARBOMER
A thickener; gives lotion a thick, rich feel.

CETYL ALCOHOL
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product.

CLYCERYL STEARATE
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product.

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE
A silicone; gives lotion a smooth, skily feel.

DIMETHICONE
An occlusive emollient material made from silicone, dimethicone helps seal in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

DISODIUM EDTA
A preservative; essential to keep lotion fresh every time you want to use it.

DISTEARLYDIMONIUM CHLORIDE
An emulsifier; an ingredient that helps to hold the lotion together. These ingredients are what keep all the other ingredients blended together in a smooth, creamy product This particular emulsifier iteracts with the skin surface to provide a silky skin feel.

DMDM HYDANTOIN

ETHYLENE BRASSYLATE
An odor neutralizer to help mask any unpleasant odors from certain essential ingredients. Because Intensive Rescue products are unfragranced, they do not hide their ingredients behind a wall of heavy perfume.

GLYCERIN
A humectant or "water magnet" that binds with water molecules and holds them in skin cells. Glycerin effectively replicates the role of your skin's own natural moisturizing factor.

GLYCERYL STEARATE

GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) STEROL
An emollient; specifically, a botanical oil rich in triglycerides (which are building blocks of skin lipids) and antioxidants (which are a part of nature's defense and repair mechanisms).

GLYCOL STEARATE

HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL

HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE

ISOPROPYL ISOSTEARATE
An emollient and humectant; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

ISOPROPYL PALMITATE
An emollient; helps seal in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

LACTIC ACID
An Alpha Hydroxy Acid that helps soften hard calloused skin.

LECITHIN
A natural phospholipid known to be an important component of healthy cell membranes.

LINOLEIC ACID
An essential fatty acid known to be a building block for skin ceramides (which are components of a healthy lipid barrier).

LINOLENIC ACID
An essential fatty acid that is a building block for skin ceramides (which are components of a healthy lipid barrier).

MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE
A structurant (or a thickener) to give the lotion a rich, elegant consistency. Structurants add thickness to the formula without adding heaviness or stickiness to the lotion.

METHYLPARABEN

MINERAL OIL
An emollient; helps seak in moisture and gives your skin a smooth feel.

PEG-100 STEARATE

PETROLATUM
Pure Vaseline Petroleum Jelly has been caring for skin over 130 years. It is an occlusive emollient that seals water within your skin and its cells. Petrolatum fills in for lost lipids to help restore skin's all-important barrier function - keeping the outside world out, and the moisture in.

PHENOXYETHANOL

POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE
A neutralizing agent used to maintain the pH of lotions.

POTASSIUM LACTATE
Used to maintain the pH of the AHA at an effective level.

PROPYLPARABEN

SODIUM CHLORIDE
Works with cationic emulsifer.

SODIUM HYDROXYPROPYL STARCH PHOSPHATE

STEARETH-21

STEARIC ACID

STEARYL STEARATE

TAPIOCA STARCH
A thickener; this particular thickener gives lotion a smooth, silky feel.

TITANIUM DIOXIDE
An opacifier that helps bring out the clean white color of the lotion.

TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E ACETATE)
A material naturally found in skin as a natural anti-oxidant.

TRIETHANOLAMINE

WATER
Water is fundamentally essential to quickly restore the flexibility of your skin's dry surface layers, but it requires additional ingredients to keep it locked in.

XANTHAN GUM

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner.

vaseline is basically a mixture of heavy mineral oils - not high enough molecular weight to be wax, too high to be an oil.

it will penetrate to some degree and if you haven't cut the degraded outer layer of gel off, it'll just highlight / intensify what color is there and perhaps help "dirt" seep in deeper (much like dying is done :eek:).

If you ever think you might want to paint or clearcoat after, i would seriously consider not putting it on your boat...

it's sort of like rubbing motor oil on your car to make it shiny. sure, it'll shine, but it'll pick up a good amount of dirt along the way as well...

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

vaseline is basically a mixture of heavy mineral oils - not high enough molecular weight to be wax, too high to be an oil.

it will penetrate to some degree and if you haven't cut the degraded outer layer of gel off, it'll just highlight / intensify what color is there and perhaps help "dirt" seep in deeper (much like dying is done :eek:).

If you ever think you might want to paint or clearcoat after, i would seriously consider not putting it on your boat...

it's sort of like rubbing motor oil on your car to make it shiny. sure, it'll shine, but it'll pick up a good amount of dirt along the way as well...

Thats what i have been atempting to say all along, on every Vasaline thread on iboats, seems folks think it the greatest thing ever...Over time IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR GELCOAT!!!!!!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you for the sarcastic reply to a question. I mean no offense to anyone, but it just seems counter productive to give these kind of replies on helpful forum to an honest question.

I realize that there are two sides to this argument. I read a lot and decided that for my situation I wanted to give it a shot. My boat looked horrible, and I tried the cut and buff thing on a section and got pretty good results. It also took forever. I then applied a little Vaseline to another section, and got the exact same results. So for my budget boat, I chose the Vaseline route to save time and money. It seems that the OP may have done the same. So if you don't have something constructive to say, please don't say it. And if you do, say it respectfully. That's all I ask.

So, back to topic, if it made no visible improvement on your boat, then as MRS said, you probably don't have any gel coat left. I put mine on the colored parts of my boat and let it sit on it for 3 days. It made an amazing difference, except for the white place that I mentioned earlier. A cut and buff on another white place also produced the same yellowing. I'm not sure what's going on in my case because I don't think the boat is supposed to be that color.

Sarcastic...No , common sense. Yes, Think about it,ever see Vaseline in the parts store in the wax isle? how about at the boating supply store? didn't think so. so when i reply to some arcane statement about how VASELINE didn't "magically" fix there fading issue,i cant help myself, evidently, the poster didn't use common sense.

skargo

Banned

Thats what i have been atempting to say all along, on every Vasaline thread on iboats, seems folks think it the greatest thing ever...Over time IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR GELCOAT!!!!!!

Where is your proof it damages gel coat??? You can't even spell it, but you claim to be an expert on it???? :confused:

Please stop your lies and misinformation.

It gets old, seeing you and others who have never used it, spouting off your nonsense.

Please stick to what you're allegedly an expert at, oh wait, you are, you're an expert at spreading misinformation, carry on.

I'll wait for your inevitable, immature insult to follow.

For everyone else,
Here's a great post on Vaseline from someone who knows what they are talking about.

The whole question about weather Vaseline will cause any damage is bogus in my opinion. And here's why:

Oxidation of paint occurs when the protective layer on the paint, weather is the clear coat or a wax, is depleated and oxygen is allowed to attack the free radicals in the chemical structure of the paint mixture. This gives you the dull and chalky look. Adding a wax coat every so often replentishes the protective coat on the paint keeping the oxygen out. The point here is that you have to keep a protective coat on the paint. If you don't periodically re-apply wax or vaseline, the protective coat wears away and oxidation will begin occuring.

As for the chemical differences in a store bought boat wax or vaseline there's not much. Most store bought waxes contain any or all of the following in varrying proportions:

carnuba wax (derived from leaves)
bees wax (you can guess where that comes from)
kaolin (clay/filler)
isoparaffinic hydrocarbons (basically paraffin wax)

Carnuba wax itself is a very hard wax once it is fully extracted from the carnuba leaves. Therfore in order to make it into a "workable" wax, a paraffin wax or bees wax must be mixed into it.

So what is paraffin wax? Well it is a petroleum based long chain hydrocarbon with chain lengths anywhere from the C20H42 to the C40H82 range. (basically that's the number of Carbons in the molecule) Having said that, Vaseline or petroleum jelly, is a petroleum based long chain hydrocarbon with a chain length in the C25H54 range. What does that mean? Vaseline is a paraffinic wax.

So why the differing results from a carnuba type wax versus Vaseline. Like I said earlier it is because carnuba is a harder wax. As you buff it, the wax plasticizes giving it a glassy look. The softer paraffin wax like vaseline won't plasticize in the same way.

Now with all the technical crap out of the way, what's the point? The point is to keep oxidation off of you boat, periodically put some protectant on your hull. If this means you enjoy and have the time to spend hours buffing and polishing a store bought name brand wax on your boat to get a high gloss shine, do it. If you don't want to spend the time or effort buffing and polishing and you don't need to see that glossy shine, use the Vaseline. Just do something and don't let the oxidation start in the first place.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

wax levels the surface so the prismatic effect is viewed correctly

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Where is your proof it damages gel coat??? You can't even spell it, but you claim to be an expert on it???? :confused:

Please stop your lies and misinformation.

It gets old, seeing you and others who have never used it, spouting off your nonsense.

Please stick to what you're allegedly an expert at, oh wait, you are, you're an expert at spreading misinformation, carry on.

I'll wait for your inevitable, immature insult to follow.

For everyone else,
Here's a great post on Vaseline from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Hey, you promised you whould ignore me...i'm amazed at how easy it is for those armchair "captains" to "get in your face".... grow up boy.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

YUP !

skargo

Banned

Hey, you promised you whould ignore me...i'm amazed at how easy it is for those armchair "captains" to "get in your face".... grow up boy.

Boy?????? Ask your momma about that one, girl. :rolleyes:

a70eliminator

Captain

So,

Vaseline only works on dull chalky crap, It didn't work on my Chaparral either which has a decent so so shine to it, but my old chalky dull MFG is a different story, it soaked into and produced the shine that We're taking about. The BILYBOB