70hp merc working ! just need some quick opinions help !!

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
what started out as an old merc that had been sitting is now on my boat with:

new impellor, new trigger, cleaned carbs, fresh gas, new plugs and new lower unit oil. the trigger was just done and i can plane out and cruise around BUT there is some "bogging" or lack of power still at times. ive put barely any running time on the motor yet but heres what it does:

i plane out without hammering it I just ease into it, once onplane it seems difficult for the motor to pass 3500rpm. I decided to floor it and it picked up. but once off WOT it goes back down to the slower 3500rpm.

What should I look into ? it still seems kind of boggey, ive tried 2 used old powerpacks which left me fully bogging so i knew those should be OK and i got the trigger changed out since it had a problem. now im cruising but im not at 100% yet and thats my goal. to get this motor working the best it can.

Im thinking the carbs werent sync'd properly but anything else ? I'm having a mechanic do the work right now so id like the job 100% complete before I pay up. hopefully i see some replies this time ! thanks you to anyone who helps

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70hp merc working ! just need some quick opinions help !!

The fuel pump.

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70hp merc working ! just need some quick opinions help !!

good idea, but this motor sat for 2+ years, i took it out again after the post and went for a 15+ minute ride and came back using the throttle how I wanted and the bogging was gone, raw power is there now. but then at the end of my "trip" i reversed to get the weeds off and it stalled going into gear. which is why i posted the other thread. then i went got something to eat and tried it again and it worked just fine.

ARE THESE 70HP's reliable once fully fixed up and operating ? otherwise ill use the motor for the rest of the season and get a johnson or some crap for next year. this 70's value id hope working is atleast $700