74 evinrude 50hp wont go *video*

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 74 evinrude 50hp wont go *video*

Sounds like the floats may not be closing properly. Were you tinkering inside of the bowls when you pulled the carbs? Maybe they didn't get put back together correctly?

When you say "isn't firing" - do you mean no spark?

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the bulb does not feel like it getting hard it might be worth checking the needle valves on the floats of the carbs incase some gunk got underneath one, if this is not sealing it would flood that cylinder out and cause it not to run, did you use rebuild kits or just clean them ? the first option is definatly recomended .

rgds
bob

Andy in NY

Commander

okay so heres where i am at:

it starts right up.

but it just doesnt sound right... i think i messed with the low speed jets.

should they both be relativly the same?

what i did was try adjusting them. with i turn the top one out it speeds up. when i turn the bottom one out, theres not much change till i get a few turns further than the top.

then i unhooked the choke linkage. if i manually choke the top carb, it stalls right out. if i choke the bottom, it doesnt stall, just kind of bogs a little.

Andy in NY

Commander

well i finally got the damn thing running... dont know what i did but i just got back from the lake and all is well.

well, ALL is not well... still running rough at low speeds. under 7-8mph it seems to shudder... as soon as i give it more than half throttle it clears right up and ran tops.

could this have to do with the low speed adjustment? also ive been told the prop is the wrong size... its a 19p and im told i should be running a 17p. could this affect it?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

This is just a matter of preference but everytime I start having carb problems I replace all the lines and filters and clean the pump as well. I get a carb kit if I don't know the last time it's been apart as well. And I'm sure that many of us (I know I have) have taken them apart multiple times to reclean after we thought we had it clean enough.

As for the low speed jets I usually start out 1.5 turns from seated, then turn it in 1/4 at a time until it starts to studder (wait 20-30 seconds after each adjustment to let the carb adjust) then back off 1/4 turn.

Andy in NY

Commander

This is just a matter of preference but everytime I start having carb problems I replace all the lines and filters and clean the pump as well. I get a carb kit if I don't know the last time it's been apart as well. And I'm sure that many of us (I know I have) have taken them apart multiple times to reclean after we thought we had it clean enough.

As for the low speed jets I usually start out 1.5 turns from seated, then turn it in 1/4 at a time until it starts to studder (wait 20-30 seconds after each adjustment to let the carb adjust) then back off 1/4 turn.

do you do both carbs at the same time?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Yes. Except for the fuel pump kit which can be hard to get sometimes, everything is available and cheap. So I just get it out of the way.

Andy in NY

Commander

Yes. Except for the fuel pump kit which can be hard to get sometimes, everything is available and cheap. So I just get it out of the way.

i was actually refering to adjusting the low speed jets at the same time... i planned on doing both carbs at the same time, i figured that was just a given. why is the fuel pump hard to get?