vro replacement questions

mthomas5620

Cadet
2001 JOhnson135 has a bad Vro I have been running with oil disconnected for some time and am now told the fuel side is bad and that i have to replace the whole VRO. I just want the fuel side. Is ther just a fuel pump that Ii can put on it? If so whare to find. Thanks so much. I am missing the water.

mthomas5620

Cadet
vro replacement question

vro replacement question

Can I replace my VRO pump on my 2001 Johnson 135 with a non VRO pump. I run with the oil side diconnected now.
If so what pump should I get and where can I find it. I have been told there is a mounting problem not going with the VRO.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: vro replacement question

if the fuel side of your pump still works, no need to replace, just premix 50 to 1 and do this. very simple.

VRO conversion w/ pump still working

if the fuel side on your Pump is still working it is very simple. unplug the 2 line harness going to the oil tank, unplug the 3 or 4 wire harness, going to the Vro pump. cut and cap the oil line going into the motor. add oil to fuel tank, mix well, then remove fuel line at top carb, catching gas in a container, pump the fuel line bulb until you get premixed gas to the carb. you can tell as it will change color. put line back on carb, and go boating.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

now that i have found your second post,. totally confused.

if the complete OMS pump is gone (2001 had OMS not VRO2) you can replace with these, and premix.

Vro Replacement Fuel Pump Kit "no Oil"
(for Using Oil/gas Pre-mix In Fuel Tank)

#5007422 it is in the $300 range.

$100 range on 135 hp motor you may have to use 2 of these.
Part Number: 0385784
Description: FUEL PUMP AY
Pack 0395712,0398385,0433390,0438559Qty: 1
Dimensions: 3.50 x 3.50 x 2.25 (in)
Weight: 0.44 lbs
Equivalent Parts:

so you have 3 choices, replace OMS, and don't mix. $300 with OMS replacement and mix, or 2 $100 pumps in series and mix.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

now that i have found your second post,. totally confused.

if the complete OMS pump is gone (2001 had OMS not VRO2) you can replace with these, and premix.

Vro Replacement Fuel Pump Kit "no Oil"
(for Using Oil/gas Pre-mix In Fuel Tank)

#5007422 it is in the $300 range.

$100 range on 135 hp motor you may have to use 2 of these.
Part Number: 0385784
Description: FUEL PUMP AY
Pack 0395712,0398385,0433390,0438559Qty: 1
Dimensions: 3.50 x 3.50 x 2.25 (in)
Weight: 0.44 lbs
Equivalent Parts:

so you have 3 choices, replace OMS, and don't mix. $300 with OMS replacement and mix, or 2 $100 pumps in series and mix.

In reading his original posts, maybe it is not possible in his particular case, but isn't it normally possible to have a 4th choice:

rebuild the FUEL side of the VRO/OMS pump? (<$100?)

mthomas5620

Cadet
Re: vro replacement questions

Sorry for the confusion guys. This is my first time posting to this forum and tried to delete the first post but couldn't. With that said I have had so much conflicting advise. Everything from not being able to do anything but replace the entire VRo pump even though I don't use the oil side to replace with a "regular" pump at a much lower cost. This is the first I have heard that I would need two pumps. With that option though I have been told there is a mounting problem. I have been told the the fuel side is bad because after 4500 rpm the moter dies and will not run unless the primer bulb is constantly pumped. The fuel lines have been repalced from tank to motor and the water seperator shows no problems. Ther does seem to be excessive fuel , not much though, around the air filter at the carbaurators. To clarify the engine...the model number is JS135VXSIF. I bought it used and always thougt it was a 2000. While pretty handy I am new to the outboard motor. You help is appreciated.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: vro replacement questions

Sorry for the confusion guys. This is my first time posting to this forum and tried to delete the first post but couldn't. With that said I have had so much conflicting advise. Everything from not being able to do anything but replace the entire VRo pump even though I don't use the oil side to replace with a "regular" pump at a much lower cost. This is the first I have heard that I would need two pumps. With that option though I have been told there is a mounting problem. I have been told the the fuel side is bad because after 4500 rpm the moter dies and will not run unless the primer bulb is constantly pumped. The fuel lines have been repalced from tank to motor and the water seperator shows no problems. Ther does seem to be excessive fuel , not much though, around the air filter at the carbaurators. To clarify the engine...the model number is JS135VXSIF. I bought it used and always thougt it was a 2000. While pretty handy I am new to the outboard motor. You help is appreciated.

JS135VXSIF: "SI" = 01. It's a 2001.

To reiterate the 4 options mentioned so far:

(opt 1) As I mentioned, I "believe" (but am not 100% sure) that you might be able to rebuild the "fuel side" of your VRO/OMS pump. The oil side can't be rebuilt, but you're not using that anyway. I've heard the parts are readily available and it's easy to do.

(opt 2 and 3) If you're actually going to replace the fuel pump with a brand new VRO (now known as OMS) fuel pump, there are only 4 current P/N's for VRO/OMS pumps, and there's a long list of supercedes for each. The current P/N's are

5007423 - for 3 wire pumps, converts to 4 wire...except 2 cylinder
(opt 2) 5007420 - for 4 wire pumps except the engines listed for 5007421
5007421 - for 4 wire pumps 2 cyl. 40-50 hp and 3 cyl 60 TTL
(opt 3) 5007422 - for premix applications

Your engine without a doubt has a "4 wire" pump as the 3 wire pumps were from the late 80s/early 90s. You'd therefore pick 5007420 if you want to get back to automatic oil mixing, or pick 5007422 if you want to pre-mix. The 420will cost you about $400 locally, about $300 on line. The 422 (premix) pump will be about $100 less.

(opt 4) As Tashasdaddy mentioned, you can go with an other type of more generic pump. I won't mention anything about this since I know nothing about it except (a) others seem to have done it successfully and (b) sometimes the larger engines need two of these pumps hooked up together to provide enough fuel.