What kind of gear case oil?

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may be a dumb question but I am having trouble finding an answer to it. I have an outboard 20hp johnson 2 stroke. I need to change the gearcase oil since I bought it and discovered that the lower seal screw wasn't tight and oil was leaking out.

I can't seem to find out what kind of gear case oil to use. Does it matter what brand or anything?

I have some quicksilver high performance gear lube but it says something on the back about not using on OMC electric shift gear cases.

Now, I don't think that is what I have but I want to be safe since I am a newbie :)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: What kind of gear case oil?

If you're sure you have electric shift, you need type C gear oil, available thru iboats.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I don't think I have an electric shift. It has forward, neutral, and reverse which is done by hand. I just don't want to screw anything up by putting mercury brand gear oil in there. Is the stuff in my link fine for using in an '89 johnson 20hp?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There were no electric shift engine's in that size range. Use Hi-Vis, or HPF, any dealer should have this,

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There were no electric shift engine's in that size range. Use Hi-Vis, or HPF, any dealer should have this,
So the one I linked to will work? I have it in my possession right now. By HPF you mean high performance? Thanks

Bifflefan

Commander

If you're sure you have electric shift, you need type C gear oil, available thru iboats.

The type "C" today (at least the stuff i bought) is 90 weight that is green/blue color.
"Premium Blend" is for the electric shift, and i could only find it at the BRP dealer.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Fer cryin' out loud, use the Quicksilver stuff already. You don't have anything special or exotic. As far as that goes, just plain 80-90 Outboard gear oil from Wal Mart will do. But the Quicksilver might be a tad better.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Always : Use the cheapest oil available, and when you do, check pinion gear, and drive gear price's. Any lube will work as long as it is cheap, and slippery. Wal-Mart being the oldest, and by far the best of outboard manufacture's will keep you straight.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, as I stated in my original post, and as should be obvious by my following questions, I am very new to this. I have no experience with boats, boat motors, or any other kind of motor for the most part.
I do have loads of experience with screwing something up by not asking questions and trying to assume that I know what to do.
I was hoping to avoid that this time.

Thanks for the answer.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The Quicksilver is fine for the manual shift engine you have.