Water drops on spark plug

jhogue46140

Seaman
I changed the spark plugs in my 1988 mercury 150 xr4. I go to a lot of lakes that are idle only and change the spark plugs every couple of months. When I took out the old plugs all of them looked like they always do except piston number one. It was a little cleaner than the rest and had about 4 drops of water on it. They were just small drops and there were only 4 on the end. Is this normal Is it from condensation. It was in the morning and was just starting to warm up. I hadn't ran the boat for a couple of weeks. I just hadn't seen this before. If it is not normal what could cause it.

I changed the plugs and decarbed the engine. She started right up and seems to run like normal. Thanks any information is appreciated, Doug

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Water drops on spark plug

Take out #1 and #2 spark plugs and peek into the cylinders through the hole. If #1 is significantly cleaner than #2, you might have a water intrusion problem. It could be from a head gasket, or a pinhole leak in the exhaust chest. An XR4 is a steel sleeved motor (unless the power head's been changed for something else) so it wouldn't be from a pinhole in the cylinder.

Water in the cylinder isn't a good thing.

If the #1 piston looks reasonably dirty, you can go with the condensation theory.

hope it helps
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I will do that. I just decarbed the motor so I am not sure If there will be much a difference. Is there anything special to consider in changing the head gasket. I might do just to be safe. I like to prevent issues before they happen. Also if its from the exhaust jacket is there a gasket there too. Looking at the manual it looks like it.

One last question. I see in other post you recommend getting a factory service manual. I have the Seloc manual. It is ok but I wonder if they sometimes leave out information that might be helpful. I have tried to find one but haven't had any luck. Do you know where I might get one. I might try calling Mercury on Monday. Thanks for the help. Doug

j_martin

Admiral

Hi John,
Thanks for the info. I will do that. I just decarbed the motor so I am not sure If there will be much a difference. Is there anything special to consider in changing the head gasket. I might do just to be safe. I like to prevent issues before they happen. Also if its from the exhaust jacket is there a gasket there too. Looking at the manual it looks like it.

One last question. I see in other post you recommend getting a factory service manual. I have the Seloc manual. It is ok but I wonder if they sometimes leave out information that might be helpful. I have tried to find one but haven't had any luck. Do you know where I might get one. I might try calling Mercury on Monday. Thanks for the help. Doug

Between the banks, there's a gasket, the exhaust divider plate, another gasket, and then the exhaust cover. The bottom edge of the exhaust divider has a silicone seal. (solid, not goo)

The divider plate can easily get hairline crack in it if cooling partially fails. That's the easiest thing to check first.

Take my advice, don't take anything apart unless you have to. Run it a bit, and check for a superclean #1 before you pull anything. If you find trouble run a compression test. If compression is low, pull the head. If it isn't pull the exhaust chest.

You should find the manual on the parts list, either at mercurypartsexpress.com or mercruiserpartsonline.com. Once you have the part number, you might score one at half price on eBay or Amazon.

hope it helps
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

Hi jmartin,
Thanks for the help. I got a factory manual. It is much better than the seloc. I took the boat out last weekend. When I opened her up to get on plane she died. The boat will idle ok. I tried to get on plane again and she would not get above 2500 to 3000 rpm and not plane. So we used the trolling motor the rest of the night and fished.

So today I decide to start investigating. I should also mention I misstated in my original post, it is actually cylinder number two that had the water drops on the plug. So I pull the plugs today and notice water on the plug of cylinder two again. So I did a compression test. Also this cylinder looks cleaner than the others.
Cylinder 1 is 135, cylinder 2 is 60, cylinder 3 135, cylinder 4 is 135,cylinder 5is 135, and cylinder 6 is 130. I also notice last weekend exhaust coming out the pee hole.

Where should I go next. Do I need to overhaul the engine? Could it be one of the gaskets blown, head or exhaust? Or could it be a blown gasket and the water intrustion has damage the rings or cylinder? I may pull the head cover and inspect the cylinder.
Thanks again for your help.

j_martin

Admiral

Hi jmartin,
Thanks for the help. I got a factory manual. It is much better than the seloc. I took the boat out last weekend. When I opened her up to get on plane she died. The boat will idle ok. I tried to get on plane again and she would not get above 2500 to 3000 rpm and not plane. So we used the trolling motor the rest of the night and fished.

So today I decide to start investigating. I should also mention I misstated in my original post, it is actually cylinder number two that had the water drops on the plug. So I pull the plugs today and notice water on the plug of cylinder two again. So I did a compression test. Also this cylinder looks cleaner than the others.
Cylinder 1 is 135, cylinder 2 is 60, cylinder 3 135, cylinder 4 is 135,cylinder 5is 135, and cylinder 6 is 130. I also notice last weekend exhaust coming out the pee hole.

Where should I go next. Do I need to overhaul the engine? Could it be one of the gaskets blown, head or exhaust? Or could it be a blown gasket and the water intrustion has damage the rings or cylinder? I may pull the head cover and inspect the cylinder.
Thanks again for your help.

You have water intrusion into #2. If it were mine.

1. I would solve the water intrusion problem, or at least diagnose it. We covered that above.
2. I would either pull the head over #2 (maybe had to to find the water problem) and check for damage. If I didn't find an obvious problem, I'd put the head back on and try to decarb it with SeaFoam.
3. If I found an obvious problem, or SeaFoam wouldn't bring up the compression (by unsticking the rings) then it's overhaul time.

hope it helps
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

I pulled the head and the gasket is obvously damaged. Cylinder looks good. No scoring. I am going to replace gasket and decarb engine then recheck compression. Thanks for the help. Doug

jhogue46140

Seaman

Ok so I have ordered the head gasket from Iboats. None of the boat part places here have in stock. Should be here by wednesday. I have read the manual and understand how to reassemble and the bolt order for tightening. I just want to clarify the torque. from the manual it looks like 35 foot pounds. Is this correct. I want to make sure I am looking at the correct specification page. I have a bad happen of over torquing. thanks Doug

j_martin

Admiral

Some of them specify go to a torque, then another part of a turn. Don't do that with used bolts. That's a stretch sequence for new bolts.

Cleaning the threads out by spinning in a tap with your fingers helps a lot.

Be double sure you have the right gaskets. you have a 2.4 engine. 2.0 or 2.5 gaskets won't work.

As long as the head is off anyway, spray a little deep creep around the piston to get things started on loosening the ring.

hope it helps
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

The manual shows the tightening order and says to do all a third of the torque then all 2/3 torque and then final torque (35 foot lbs) in order. Is this correct or are you saying I dont need to do this with used bolts? I can just tighten to the appropriate torque?

I have sprayed the pistons with deep creep a couple of times and have turned the flywheel by hand to move the pistons. I will probably spray again before I reassemble.

I will compare the new gasket with the old one. I ordered from Iboats for the XR4 and the appropriate serial number range. Hopefully they send me the correct one. Thanks for all of your assistance.

I am pretty happy with this boat and motor I hope to make it last for a while. I have wanted a boat for a long time and am finally at a point in my life where I have the time and finance to own one. I bought this one last year from a dealer and it looks like it was well cared for. I was told it was stored in a garage and used by a tournament fisherman who had upgraded. I believe he was the original owner. Thanks Doug

j_martin

Admiral

I got my XR4 on a bass bote also. Awsome motor for sure.

Torque to spec in 3 steps just like it says.

John

jhogue46140

Seaman

Hi John,
I am waiting on the gasket to come. While waiting I am reading the manual and refreshing on the timing and synchronization procedure. I plan on doing a synchronization after I put her back together, if compression checks ok.

The procedure says:
Remove all of the spark plugs. Install a dial indicator into number 1 spark plug opening. Turn flywheel clockwise until the no 1 piston is top dead center. Reset indicator to 0. Rotate flywheel counterclockwise 1/4 turn beyond the .462 mark then slowly clockwise back to .462.

I have a question? Is this setting the piston .462 inches down from top dead center. Thanks Doug

j_martin

Admiral

Hi John,
I am waiting on the gasket to come. While waiting I am reading the manual and refreshing on the timing and synchronization procedure. I plan on doing a synchronization after I put her back together, if compression checks ok.

The procedure says:
Remove all of the spark plugs. Install a dial indicator into number 1 spark plug opening. Turn flywheel clockwise until the no 1 piston is top dead center. Reset indicator to 0. Rotate flywheel counterclockwise 1/4 turn beyond the .462 mark then slowly clockwise back to .462.

I have a question? Is this setting the piston .462 inches down from top dead center. Thanks Doug

Yes, on the compression stroke, coming up. Then set the pointer on the .462 mark on the flywheel. It's a much more accurate way of setting the timing marks in clock than trying to bump TDC.

I made an adapter that holds my chinese digital caliper in the spark plug hole by gutting an old spark plug and welding a mounting tab on it. Makes the procedure real easy. I've posted pictures on this forum.

hope it helps
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

John,
Thanks for all of your help. New gasket came today. Just finished installing before it got to dark. Will do compression test and sync tomorrow when I get home from work. So far so good. Hopefully this will also solve the low compression issue. I have really soaked this piston with deep creep. Thanks Doug

jhogue46140

Seaman

Checked compression and it is now 130 on this cylinder. All cylinders now are within 5-8 of each other on compression. Now time for a link and sync. I am a little apprehensive but am going to try. I am afraid I might get something set wrong. I am reading the manual one more time. Thanks Doug

j_martin

Admiral

Checked compression and it is now 130 on this cylinder. All cylinders now are within 5-8 of each other on compression. Now time for a link and sync. I am a little apprehensive but am going to try. I am afraid I might get something set wrong. I am reading the manual one more time. Thanks Doug

Link n sync is sequential. Each step relies on the previous work being right.

If you hit a hard spot (I hate it when I baffle myself) stop and ask.

carry on,
John

jhogue46140

Seaman

Ok I have the link and sync complete but want to clarify a few things.
The flywheel has timing markings in the following order 24 to 0 To 16 (from left to right). I got an oil smudge on my manual page that shows the primary pickup. I have a seloc online manual subscription and its say primary pickup is 22 ATDC. The only 22 on the flywheel is before the 0. I could not get it there. Is this a typo as the other 150 models on the seloc specks are 7- 11 degrees. Should this have been 12? The max timing is 24 btdc. No problem getting this. The original timing was about 12 on the primary pickup. So I set it there. She started right up and seems to run ok. I dont want to take her out or run it to much until I get clarification on this. Thanks Doug

jhogue46140

Seaman

Ok. I am redoing timing today to set primary pickup to 10 and wot to 23. I have grounded all of the spark plug wires except number one which is installed with timing light on it. When I turn the key the timing light will not light unless I advance the primary pickup. It starts flashing when we get to about 16. I checked for spark with a spark tester and there is not spark on number one or number 3 cylinder while cranking. So I dont think it is the timing light. I cant get the light to flash down around 10 or 12. It did this to me yesterday a couple of times. the funny thing is this morning it started right up and ran fine. I ran her for about a minute.

Also when I am cranking the engine after about 15-20 seconds of cranking the warning module sounds an intermittent beep continuously until I turn of the ignition When I turn it back on I get the 3 beeps. Any suggestions? Thanks Doug

jhogue46140

Seaman

I think i figured the issue out. I had dropped the throttle cam to far. I am not sure what is the throttle screw boss and which is the bottom edge of the throttle cam. Here are a couple pics of how I have it set to set primary pickup. Does this look correct?

throttlecam.jpg

jhogue46140

Seaman

James,
Here's the differences:

17. Loosen the locknut on the idle stop screw. Adjust the idle stop screw until the bottom edge of the throttle cam is aligned with the edge of the front corner of the throttle stop screw boss.
Do NOT install the throttle cable at this time.

On the XR4, the throttle cam lever is angled upward toward the back. This adjustment is to put the aft/lower edge of the throttle cam 1/8 inch from the forward edge of the throttle stop screw boss. (I use a 1/8 inch drill bit as a gauge.)

-------------------------------------

19. While the engine is being cranked, adjust the throttle primary pickup screw until the specified throttle primary pickup mark on the timing decal is aligned with the timing pointer. See the Specifications in the General Engine and Tune-Up chart for the correct setting.

11 degrees ATDC, according to the Murkery manool.

--------------------------------------------------

23. With the lever in this position, move the roller arm until the roller just makes contact with the throttle cam. Without moving the roller arm, tighten the three carburetor synchronizing screws to hold the adjustment.
Maximum Advance Timing

This is accurate, not the spacing I had "remembered".:rolleyes::D

---------------------------------------

26. Loosen the locknut and adjust the maximum spark screw until the maximum spark advance timing mark is aligned with the timing pointer.
AN EXPLANATION: This adjustment will result in a spark advance reduction of 2? at maximum rpm, due to the spark advance characteristics of this ignition system

18 degrees BTDC, acording to the Manual. Go 23 degrees IF you discard the "advance" module.

Whether or not you use the module is a toss up. If it works, it'll keep it idling under adverse conditions, and mid range timing will be a bit slower and easier on the engine. If it catastrophically fails at WOT, it'll hit you in the back of the head with a rod cap. (Theoretically, I haven't heard a lot of incidents)

----------------------------------------

32. Use a feeler gauge and check the clearance between the roller and the throttle cam at WOT. This clearance should be 0.010-0.015 in. (0.25-0.38mm). Tighten the locknut to hold the adjustment.

This isn't rocket science, and needn't be real precise either. The object is to insure that there is a little free play in the carb linkage so you don't damage carbs when you mash the throttle.

----------------------------------------

46. Install the powerhead cowling.
If sufficient throttle cable barrel adjustment is not available, a check MUST be made for correct installation of the link rod (located between the throttle lever and the throttle cam). Each end of this link rod must be threaded into its plastic barrel until it bottoms against the throttle lever or the throttle cam casting, and then backed out from this position ONLY far enough to obtain correct orientation of the link rod. The link rod must be backed out LESS than one turn. All timing adjustments must be reset after this procedure has been completed.

If you even remotely suspect an ace (spelled with a double s) mechanic has been here, I'd check this link rod as a first step, to avoid repeating all the other steps. On the other hand, maybe you enjoy it so much you want to do it twice.

I'm going back to bed.

hope it helps
John

I think I have/had myself cornfused. Easy to do lately. I was reviewing some post and found one from last year where you had instructed me on timing procedure. I think I know how to set the throttle cam. I will post another picture when I am through. Thanks Doug