Volvo AQ270 drive strange noises when turning

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Steering seems hard like I have to keep pressure on steering wheel to the right so that the boat steers straight.

Secondly, a low pitched vibration type noise is coming from the drive unit when turning either left or right at anything more than idle speed.

Drive was serviced last summer and new drive boot replaced, mechanics noted that the ujoints looked fine in this old boat. No water in oil or oil leakage. 1985 year Capri 1950 Bayliner

I am wondering about some kind of bearing in the upper unit going bad? Any other ideas....thanks.

Joe

cr2k

Captain
Re: Volvo AQ270 drive strange noises when turning

Could be U-Joints or Gimbal bearing.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

U joints are the first thing that come to mind. Even though it was serviced last summer, doesn't mean that there could't have been water intrusion or the joints needed grease to begin with. Because of the potential for further damage, it's a good idea to go ahead and get the o-rings to pull the gearbox and inspect the u-joints and bellows.

Another thing you can do before pulling the gearbox is to try to isolate the problem to the gearbox or shaft bearings. When out of the water, run the motor in neutral and turn the drive side to side while listening to the u-joints and gears. Use a piece of hose for a stethescope and see if the noise appears to be from the gearbox and that it changes when moving from side to side. You can also listen to the primary shaft bearings in the bellhousing with that method. You should also check the oil in the outdrive after it's been running to see if it's milky. If so, that would indicate a water leak and the front seal on the gearbox could have let water into the bellows.

The problem needs to be resoved before other things start to go. If it's just the u-joints and there aren't any other indications of problems then you got lucky. However, the u-joints going bad could be a symptom and not the original problem.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely a bigger job than I have the time or resources to do myself. Unfortunately the nearest volvo repair mechanics I have found are almost a two hour drive from my town and he is always super busy. Looks like my boating season may be coming to an early close.

Joe

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Could be U-Joints or Gimbal bearing.
There is no gimbal bearing.

One other cause is a bad damper. Had one with a broken spring that caused vibrations.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

BruceB58-

what is the "damper" AND where is it on the drive?

Joe

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I see you have a 4 cylinder. I am more familiar with the V8 applications. On the v8 there is a damper. Not sure what the equivalent is on the 4 cylinder. It is actually called an absorber on Volvo parts diagrams.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Damper spring is something I wouldn't have thought of but certainly a possibility. Joe, the damper, or as Bruce pointed out, more correctly, the absorber, is bolted to the engine flywheel. It dampens or absorbs shocks from both directions but mostly when shifting into gear. If that's the problem, you won't get to that conclusion until you've ruled out other issues.

If you don't have the resources to troubleshoot, I believe that you're making a wise choice in not running it until things are resolved. It could be something relatively simple and inexpensive or it might be quite a few things. It's just impossible to tell without opening things up and you're just guessing otherwise. With older boats, it's a matter of learning how to do repairs yourself or being prepared to pay someone to do it for you. And then there can be some tough decisions as to weather or not the cost of repairs is worth it on an older drive train.

If you decide to tear into it yourself, you've got plenty of help here on the forum

Edit: just a thought - you might want to put an ad on Craigslist saying you're looking for a local Volvo Penta mechanic. Might give you some decent results - might be pretty scary too but you never know!

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I have undertaken a number of repairs on the engine and drive already on this old boat and have learned a lot by reading this forum and the baylinerownersclub webpage. But a major job involving tearing into that drive is beyond me.

I live Steubenville, Ohio on the Ohio River where it borders WV and PA and have called all the major dealers and marinas from Pittsburgh-Wheeling-Steubenville in an effort to find a Volvo mechanic who will work on these old boats. Nobody in Pittsburgh would touch it. But I found one in Ohio near Cleveland who does good work and in a reasonable time period too. I think I will call him and see what he can do.

I agree it isn't something easily diagnosed without tearing into it. Looks like the boating season might be over for me but I won't use it until I get someone to look at it.

Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I have undertaken a number of repairs on the engine and drive already on this old boat and have learned a lot by reading this forum and the baylinerownersclub webpage. But a major job involving tearing into that drive is beyond me.

I live Steubenville, Ohio on the Ohio River where it borders WV and PA and have called all the major dealers and marinas from Pittsburgh-Wheeling-Steubenville in an effort to find a Volvo mechanic who will work on these old boats. Nobody in Pittsburgh would touch it. But I found one in Ohio near Cleveland who does good work and in a reasonable time period too. I think I will call him and see what he can do.

I agree it isn't something easily diagnosed without tearing into it. Looks like the boating season might be over for me but I won't use it until I get someone to look at it.

Joe