Volvo Penta Engine Cooling Problem

motoXracer01

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL thats having a cooling problem. When I started the engine. everything seemd fine until about a minute later I was hearing a squeeling noise like belts make when they start to go bad so I shut the motor off and checked under the hood but found nothing. I started it up again and after about another minute the temperature gauge was pushing 200 degrees. Im not sure if the problem is the impeller or the water pump or both. Is anyone familiar with this problem?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta Engine Cooling Problem

What is the model number of your drive/engine? There are a couple styles of raw water pumps. One is bolted to the crankshaft and one is driven by a belt.

motoXracer01

Cadet

I dont know the model number but I do know its belt driven.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

COuld be that the belt fell off the raw water pump. You do understand there is a difference between the raw water pump and the engine circulating pump right?

Have you ever changed the impeller in the raw water pump? That would be your first step.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you have water going to the engine?

motoXracer01

Cadet

I havnt. This will be the 3rd summer using the boat and ive never replaced anything in the water pump.

Don S

Let me try this again.
Did you have the boat sitting in the water when you started it?
If not and the boat was on the trailer, did you have muffs on the driver with water from a hose putting water to the cooling system?

motoXracer01

Cadet

Let me try this again.
Did you have the boat sitting in the water when you started it?
If not and the boat was on the trailer, did you have muffs on the driver with water from a hose putting water to the cooling system?

Yes I had it in the water when I started it.

Don S

Since you don't give a model number of this 5.7GL, and you have had it for 3 seasons, I would say to start with you are probably way past due for a new impeller in your raw water pump.

motoXracer01

Cadet

Since you don't give a model number of this 5.7GL, and you have had it for 3 seasons, I would say to start with you are probably way past due for a new impeller in your raw water pump.

Ok ill start with that. Is the impeller very hard to replace? Im pretty sure I know how to access it but im not positive. I work with dirtbike engines so im not very familiar with where the impeller is and how to replace it.

Don S

So, what is the full model number, or the Volvo SN ?????

PS: The 5.7GL has been in service since 94, with lots of different changes. That's why we need specific informtation.

motoXracer01

Cadet

So, what is the full model number, or the Volvo SN ?????

PS: The 5.7GL has been in service since 94, with lots of different changes. That's why we need specific informtation.

And its actually the 5.0 GL, not the 5.7 GL

Don S

what color is the engine. Trust me, it's a valid question.

Don S

Black is Mercruiser, Dark Gray is Volvo 94 to 2000. In 2001 Volvo went back to red. I would guess you have dark gray.
Have a look at this. Look for the decal, they moved around alot in the late 90's
http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/template/store/volvopenta/help.html

But, it's sounding like you have a raw water pump attached to the vibration dampner on crankshaft. Look, there should be 2 hoses (approx 1-1/8" ID) going to the pump

motoXracer01

Cadet

Black is Mercruiser, Dark Gray is Volvo 94 to 2000. In 2001 Volvo went back to red. I would guess you have dark gray.
Have a look at this. Look for the decal, they moved around alot in the late 90's
http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/template/store/volvopenta/help.html

But, it's sounding like you have a raw water pump attached to the vibration dampner on crankshaft. Look, there should be 2 hoses (approx 1-1/8" ID) going to the pump

Yea it has 2 hoses coming from it but I thought it was belt driven.

Don S

Yea it has 2 hoses coming from it but I thought it was belt driven.

Nope, the belt is around the crankshaft and the crankshaft is what turns everything else, except the raw water pump. It's driven by the crankshaft.