Inboard tracking problems

Mojo_jumper

Recruit
I have a new to me Sanger DXII with a 5.7L mercruiser inboard. at pretty much any speed on plane the thing has a hard pull to the right. what would cause this? the skegs on the bottom look straight, the boat sits level in the water...what sort of things should i be looking for? HELP!!

Ned L

Commander
Re: Inboard tracking problems

I'm guessing that the boat has a left hand engine. (Meaning that in forward, the prop turns counterclockwise when viewed from astern.) I don't think there is much you can do about this, it is pretty much the nature of the high performance single screw inboard with no real keel. - That is one reason power boat races are run in a counterclockwise direction around a race course. They are mostly right hand engines (traditional for single screw) and want to always turn left.

salty87

Commander

is the steering stiff? can you turn the wheel at speed with 1 finger? an old cable might be making it seem worse. you might be able to grease your cable, look for zerks.

it is possible to shape the rudder to counter the pull but i've never heard of sangers needing that.

the prop can have an effect too. if the cable is fine you might chat with a prop shop. they can help with the rudder too if they think that might be the problem.

Mojo_jumper

Recruit

thanks for the responses guys. i emailed Sanger directly and got this email back withing hours.

Hi Alex
Actually the alignment is like that to compensate for the torgue of the prop. It really doesn't have anything to do with removing the prop. That is simply a by product of the placement.
Pull on the wheel is normal and can be adjusted by filing down the trailing edge of the rudder on the opposite side that the boat is pulling. So in your case the boat is pulling to the right. As you are looking at the rudder from directly behind it, you would file down the left trailing edge of the rudder the full length of the rudder.
What is causing the boat to pull right is more water pressure from the left side of the rudder pushing the rudder right, causing the boat the move to the right. By filing down the left edge of the rudder you reduce some of the rudder water pressure and there by reduce the pull of the boat to the right. Many people like some rudder pressure as opposed to it being neutral so that there is always positive steering as opposed to a neutral spot leading to some neutral play in the steering. It is a trial and error method until you get it the way you like.
Hope this helps you out.
Tim Pellaton
Sanger Boats

I must say that i am impressed with the support i have received from Sanger for my 14 year old boat. Looks like some tuning is the answer.

Bifflefan

Commander

My buddy in WA had a Sanger ???. He had a 454 with a blower on it. Man that thing could run. One day the thing coughed and died, then "the wave" cought him. she bobbed like a cork for a few mintes till someone got there and fished him out and towed him back to the dock.
They are fun boats even tho.