1975 mercury 150 h.p. 1500 powertrim help

jus do it

Cadet
I just bought this moter. The old owner told me the last 5 out of 6 times he took it out it bogded down and had to be towed back. I have started it and it runs great in the driveway. The old owner told me that it would run good in the driveway but bog down and die on the lake. Any Ideas? thanx

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 1975 mercury 150 h.p. 1500 powertrim help

I just bought this moter. The old owner told me the last 5 out of 6 times he took it out it bogded down and had to be towed back. I have started it and it runs great in the driveway. The old owner told me that it would run good in the driveway but bog down and die on the lake. Any Ideas? thanx

Well it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Likely culprit is the fuel pump followed by dirt in the tank and or carbs. The good news is your electrical is working as it runs fine in the driveway. I am currently rebuilding a 75 1500 block, one of my favorite inlines. Another obscure problem is if the ears on the fuel quick connect fitting are worn down the fuel fitting will not open enough and it will restrict fuel flow. At this point you need verify that the fuel tank is clean, there is no water or dirt in the carb fuel bowls and that all your hoses are in good shape, get it on the boat instead of the driveway and report your results with the best description you can of how it BOGS , also at what rpm does it die out and can you restart it after it dies. Don't go so far out that you will regret paddling back;). Test it into the wind and just do short runs.

jus do it

Cadet

took it out would not run out of the gas tank so i hooked it up to a portable ran ok. It seemed a little boggy till it got onto plane then ran really good.

jus do it

Cadet

Took it out again when its running between 5000 and 5500 it sucks the primer bulb dry. It will run good at about 4200 without sucking it dry. I have replaced all fuel line and all conectors and cleaned the carbes and fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas?

daveswaves

Ensign

Took it out again when its running between 5000 and 5500 it sucks the primer bulb dry. It will run good at about 4200 without sucking it dry. I have replaced all fuel line and all conectors and cleaned the carbes and fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas?

If it is sucking the primer bulb flat the hose from the bulb to the tank is too small or blocked, or the tank is blocked.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check the vent and the antisiphon valve on the permanent tank.