How are public boat ramps monitored and maintained in your area?

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Our local county government in their infinate wisdom recently opened up a very nice park and boat ramp. There is a dock to fish off of, a decent ramp, a floating dock, plenty of parking, covered picnic tables, a paved path through the woods for walking or skating, and a really nice playground with the rubberized padding around the whole area. It also has a nice bathroom area and soon to be concession area.

The problem is, they haven't made any provisions to take care of the park. By that I mean teenagers are using the area to drag race at night, vandals have free range of the area, and there is just no security what so ever.

I plan to start leaning on the local county commision pretty hard about the need to take care of the area. But before I do that, I would like to find out how other municipalities handle their public park/boating ramps.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How are public boat ramps monitored and maintained in your area?

Jacksonville's are patrol by the standard police. garbage picked up once or twice a week, by parks authority. i do not know a public ramp that has an attendant, in the complete state, other than state parks.

nlain

Commander

In the Savannah to Midway area it varies, some are police patrolled on a fairly regular basis some are not so you do not leave anything out that looks worth stealing, you lock up the vehicle and the trailer if at certain ramps. There is one park with a paved walk route and other things that has a spot in the woods by it that men meet up, police caught some. You never know what is going to happen. There are some ramps that are not patrolled and you could probably leave everything open and be ok. Parks in the city are kept clean by the city workers, out in the county I think the users either do or don't, and it is surprising that there are people that will still clean up behind others so the county parks stay fairly clean.

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice

In Ravenswood WV our boat launching facility on the Ohio River is an old Locks and Dam facility that the Corp of Engineers removed and coverted the buildings and land to a park and gave to the City.

Nice long 3 lane ramp, floating docks, shelters, picnic tables and open area, very nice parking for trailers seperate from the picnic/shelter area. We are very lucky.

The park is a bout a mile outside the actual city. The city police patrol it, they close the gates late after dark (supposedly). But probably the best is, one of the old buildings was converted to apartments and most of the time one of the police officers get to rent it, so they are there and quickly notice if teenagers, or others are creating havoc at night.

Again we have a very nice, community facility. Nobody monitors the ramp, but generally it is not crowded. There are regular scheduled bass fishing tournaments that take over the ramp on Mondays and some weekends. These guys are experts getting in and out, and us less proficient just wait till they clear the ramp or the loading water area. It is fun and educational to watch them.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the ramps in Pinellas County, FL are city or county owned (I don't know of any state owned parks with ramps).

But all of these are patrolled by local city police and the county sherrif's office regularly, and all the county parks are gated closed at night.

They have full time employees that clean and maintain the park every single day, and honestly, they are very clean, very nice, and very safe. I have no problem whatsoever with bringing my 5yo to them at any given time.

The only park that is a bit run down, is the seminole st. boat ramp near downtown clearwater. That is city run, and not locked (24hour access) so it sees a bit of vandalism between patrols. Plus its one of the busiest ramps in the area, so you get all the idiot boaters banging into the docks, peeling out on the ramp, etc. so its a bit beat on.. I for one, avoid this ramp like the plague!

angus63

Captain

By me, the county leases out concession rights to a subcontractor at the local waterfront park and they are contractually obligated to maintain the site. The concession people have the incentive to keep the location tidy and secure so business remains strong. Everybody wins!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Here at LOTO, the state department of natural resources develop and maintain the boat ramps. Across from us, the ramp has 4 lanes, a launch dock, and a handicap accessible fishing dock. No trails, no picnic tables.

The county mounty comes down every so often, but no real patrols.

The DNR, and some individuals, plow the ramp during winter. DNR will use a motor grader with a front mounted plow to break up any heavy ice (relative I know) to allow for fishertypes to go out. It is up to the boaters to break the ice until they can get to the ice-free main channel.

BTW - the ramp is also used as a helicopter landing area to transport critically injured boaters to regional hospitals and for fire department training.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am in Nassau County, NY and use Wantaugh Park to launch my boat. I have been using this facility since the 1972. Beside boating the park has many facilities such as ball fields, swimming pool, play grounds, nature trail, dog park, picnic area, etc.

Beside park security, Nassau County Police show a random presence. The park appears safe and neat. I am happy with the boating ramps.

I find the park a tribute to the County and there employees (of which I am not one).

Nick

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lk Hopatcong NJ has ramp fees,and attendants,, or if I go to the Hudson river Newburgh municipal ramp also has a attendant, both are well maintained.
the one at liberty park by the statue is not attended and is a hangout and is a dump. nice facility, but